RAV4 and WDH -The Answer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #15
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You are correct, and it is the latter. Here it is in its entirety from my 2011 Honda Pilot Owner's Manual:
"A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your vehicle, as an improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and braking performance."
So I guess we could surmise that if we did use a WDH and it was "properly" adjusted it would be OK and recommended??????

Old 06-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
So I guess we could surmise that if we did use a WDH and it was "properly" adjusted it would be OK and recommended??????
Not exactly, I think. They will not recommend its use, whether adjusted properly or not, because that is not something they can control. And the reality of newer vehicles is that they have very complex and sensitive electronic AWD, traction, and stability systems.

It may be safe to presume that a properly adjusted WDH would be unlikely to affect "handling, stability, and braking performance." But the full responsibility for that use lies with the user, not Honda.

At least that's how I read it.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #17

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Your basic source of info as to towing capacity is the owner's manual.
If it shows you how much you can tow... you're ok to go.
Otherwise, why do they provide the mounting points on the frame to take a receiver hitch? We bought a 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid for our daughter which had a "Toyota" hitch. She never used the hitch. I should have traded her for it, as we then found the same year Highlander Hybrid with an aftermarket hitch, but it sticks out more behind the bumper and looks ugly. I think you can still buy a new Highlander with factory hitch, nicely fitted into the rear bumper.

As far as a WDH. those are just added weight and not needed if you balance your trailer right. And don't load heavy stuff in the rear of your TV. the whole purpose of FGRVs is to "travel light"
Old 06-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
By golly, I'm going to buy a Subaru, hook a WDH to it, and run some coke in the tank! Great thread!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #19
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not exactly, I think. They will not recommend its use, whether adjusted properly or not, because that is not something they can control. And the reality of newer vehicles is that they have very complex and sensitive electronic AWD, traction, and stability systems.

It may be safe to presume that a properly adjusted WDH would be unlikely to affect "handling, stability, and braking performance." But the full responsibility for that use lies with the user, not Honda.

At least that's how I read it.
I believe you read it right Jon. Unless they actually tested an installed WDH then they really don't know weight limits etc. Since they can't be bothered doing the testing (for many reasons) then they simply write "not recommended" and move on.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
By golly, I'm going to buy a Subaru, hook a WDH to it, and run some coke in the tank! Great thread!

There is something about lawyer-speak that just incites the inner rebel, isn't there!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #21

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
It sounds like you need to apply common sense along with the hardware you think is your best solution.
By the way according to research air lifts to level the rear give about 1/2 of the improvement of the WDH. As a matter of fact the recommendation is both.
Use the airlift to get the rig as lavel as possible ant then trim with the WDH arms. This prevents excessive loads across the hitch.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #22
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
It sounds like you need to apply common sense along with the hardware you think is your best solution.
By the way according to research air lifts to level the rear give about 1/2 of the improvement of the WDH. As a matter of fact the recommendation is both.
Use the airlift to get the rig as lavel as possible ant then trim with the WDH arms. This prevents excessive loads across the hitch.
Agree. RB. I like the rig to be perfectly level and our car when connected even with the WDH is a pinch low at the back. Mr. T from Can Am suggested the addition of Air Lifts but he warned the ride would be slightly degraded.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #23

Name: Bill & Pam
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 17.5
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Interesting you should say that. We bought a 16' Scamp from a guy who towed it with a Subaru, using a WDH! He didn't mention anything about coke in the tank, though.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #24

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
To understand the meaning of a manufacturer saying that they "... do... not recommend a weight distribution hitch. ... " we need to consider what else they might have said. They could have said something simple, straight-forward, and honest like "We chose to not address that". That would certainly be less than satisfactory but all of us would understand that they were merely cowering behind their lawyers. When they say that they do not recommend,,, they are invoking the first rule of salesmanship when dealing with a potential negative: insert FUD. For those who haven't dealt with the dark side FUD is an acronym for fear, uncertainty, and doubt. They are certainly making a negative and non-neutral statement. They lead you to infer that if you employed a WDH the world may end, but of course they never said it.

I also wonder what a manufacturer means when they say "... improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and braking performance. ...". Poor choice of wheels, tires, shocks, brake fluid etc. may also have the same untoward effects but they chose to not make those statements. I'd guess that the reason is simply that they sell those items.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #25

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Just had a very expensive service. I was concerned about my brakes as last service I was down to 30 per cent on the front and 40 on the rear.
Anyway, I asked them to inspect the hitch receiver while they had it on the hoist, which they did. Apparently they also open some panel or something, but they reported it in good condition with no rust.
And, they replaced front rotors and pads, turned rear rotors and replaced pads, flushed brake fluid and filled and some other routine maintenance. Cost a bunch, but I'm happy that everything is as it should be. I'm going turn up the Prodigy brake controller a notch.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #26

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
I will not do business with any vehicle manufacturer who is so towing-averse, but to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #27

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I will not do business with any vehicle manufacturer who is so towing-averse, but to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
What manufacturer is that?
Old 06-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #28

Trailer:
"You are not using one of our vehicles to drive along road, are you, sir? We have not tested that use of our products and so cannot recommend it".......