RAV4 people: why is my hitch only 4 inches off the ground? - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #155

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
All true, but I don't see you starting thread after thread to share your concern about towing capacity. Some people just need a wide margin of error to feel comfortable.
Tom......I'm chuckling here, because I learned a long time ago on this particular forum that to suggest folks stay within manufacturer stated limits, and perish the thought, to suggest that PICKUP trucks just might be a pretty good towing platform, is like whistling in the wind. Let's just say that many here feel that car company stated limits are little more than a suggestion.

More to the point of the OP for this thread, this individual has stated a Tacoma is on the radar. Since I tow with a very similar vehicle ( Frontier) I have significant experience with this platform with different trailers in tow, up to approx 5K pounds, and can say that it works well. I think it ( Frontier or Tacoma ) would work well for a Casita 17.

As for whether I am "concerned" about towing capacity, what I will say is that I tow a lot....usually a few times a week....any one of, a camper, a two horse bumper pull, a 35' gooseneck four horse, or a 24' gooseneck equipment trailer. My concern extends to the fact that I know what the loading is on all these different rigs, CAT scale verified, and I ALWAYS ensure we are within all the limits as stated by both Nissan and Ford, and the limits of the trailer manufacturers.
As our buddy Dirty Harry said, "a man's gotta know his limitations"...... and re that, I have a pretty good notion that the engineers down at the car factory know a lot more about all this stuff than I do. I stay well within limits. Example, on my frequent run up to the farm to bring hay back to the stable for the horses, I purposely keep my load well within limits..... I would rather have to make a second trip than to try to push the limits and bring more all at once.

The rest of the folks out there can load however they see fit.

over and out....

Old 04-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #156

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post

The rest of the folks out there can load however they see fit.

over and out....
My point is that if someone is very nervous about towing, they may feel more confident using a much larger tow vehicle (I'm referring to the OP here). You are obviously comfortable with what you've got and others are comfortable with even less of a margin. The choice of an appropriate tow vehicle is dependent not only on the size of the trailer but also the experience level of the driver.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #157

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Seems like any RV shop that sets WD hitches would need both axle and tongue wt scales to do it right. Right?
Yes, to do it right requires the use of axle scales; I would be surprised if any shop actually uses them.

In general, I agree with George's comments.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #158

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
As nervous as you are about this, maybe it makes sense to just get a full sized pickup that will give you a wide margin of towing capability
Yes, but I think it is important to realize that even a V8-powered full sized American pickup truck might not have sufficient capacity - such as in GVWR - to even marginally tow a Casita 17' plus carry moderate passenger and cargo load, let alone have a "wide margin". You need not just a full sized pickup, but the right full sized pickup.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #159

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2193484688.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	58249

Here's the measurements I promised a few days ago. The picture shows where I measured to on the hitch. The end on the tape rested on a 3/4 board so actual ground clearance would be a bit more.

No trailer, no air in air springs 10 3/16"
No trailer 40 psi in air springs 10 7/16". (Yes, 40, 5 more than mfg recommends)
Trailer, no air 7 3/8"
Trailer, 40 psi air. 8 7/16"

Of the OP's hitch is 4" from the ground she just has the wrong tow bar. Isn't a new one maybe $15 at Walmart?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #160

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Attachment 58249

Here's the measurements I promised a few days ago. The picture shows where I measured to on the hitch. The end on the tape rested on a 3/4 board so actual ground clearance would be a bit more.

No trailer, no air in air springs 10 3/16"
No trailer 40 psi in air springs 10 7/16". (Yes, 40, 5 more than mfg recommends)
Trailer, no air 7 3/8"
Trailer, 40 psi air. 8 7/16"

Of the OP's hitch is 4" from the ground she just has the wrong tow bar. Isn't a new one maybe $15 at Walmart?
And it is true, that sometimes you need to have a different "ball mount" ( sometimes called a drawbar or tow bar ) in order to get the ball height for your given tow vehicle/trailer combo correct. This is an initial setup step that begins the process of getting the trailer to be level.
When using a WD hitch, that height is adjustable up and down by repositioning the head on the shank.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #161

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
so you are pulling only 7 or 8 inches off the ground?

see-i was so used to the silverado...it didnt go down at all when i hitched up and i never knew it was behind me. going or stopping. without brake controller.

how far off the ground do most pull?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #162

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
The trailer tongue should be level.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #163

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
The bottom of the ball mount is 8"+ off the ground. The trailer is higher as you can see the rise built into it.

The trailer is level when coupled to the ball.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #164

Oswego, NY
Registry
deryk asked for some information about the set up of my Camco EasyLift hitch. Since a picture is worth 1000 words and I'm a lousy typist, I posted some images at my website. If interested here is a link.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #165

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Interesting. The WDH looks the same as mine, but you have five links hanging and I have two hanging. Same vehicle, same trailer.

baglo
Old 04-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #166

Oswego, NY
Registry
Do you have the same tilt on the hitch/ball adjustment (and the amount of tongue weight the dual propane, electric jack & storage box provides? I ran 4 links last year & noticed in some photos that the back end was down a bit so I'm trying 5...
Old 04-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #167

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Adding a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
With WDH2.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #168

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Adding a pic.
Glenn, now THAT'S pretty ! LOL....any Rav4 owner ought to like the look of that.
I just really love the simplicity of design of a WD hitch. Truely an elegant engineering solution to a rather complex dynamic problem. Gotta love that.