RAV4 people: why is my hitch only 4 inches off the ground? - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #169

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Glenn, any chance of an up close photo up showing the "tilt" of the 2" ball? don't have to have the trailer connected, just the hitch in your receiver. Jon's is pretty close to straight up, I need to get mine out to a flat parking lot next weekend since Im working in my parents flower garden next saturday morning and not going camping.

thanks

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #170

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Does this help? Otherwise, I'll have to do it Mon.
Attached Thumbnails
wdh c.u..jpg  

Old 04-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #171

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
So Glenn, yours looks like its pretty much straight up? I need to get mine out to a flat parkinglot, use some masking tape to make marks and take some measurements of it all. Couldn't play around when I got back from camping... was celebrating my mom's bday. Next weekend Im not going away so will have to take it for a little ride.

did you use the tongue jack to raise the back end up to get the chains on?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #172

British Columbia
I do use the tongue jack to attach chains.
Escape installed the WDH, so I can't help with installation.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #173

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
With any conventional two-bar chain-type WD system, the length of the chains is used to bring the spring bars level (parallel to the trailer frame). If more weight distribution is desired, it is added by tilting the head back (so the bars start lower at their tail ends, and must be pulled more to engage, applying more force), not by decreasing the chain length between bar and bracket.

Jon, your WD head is at the most tilted forward end of the adjustment range, for minimal force; you can tilt it back if needed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #174

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Is it just me or does the tongue of that Escape look like it is pointing up? Also looks like the ball on the RAV4 is cantered forward better than 20 or 30. Glenn, could you shed some light on that? Is it just angle of the picture?

Jason
Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #175

British Columbia
I don't know who's Escape we are talking about now. I'm attaching two overview pix. One without the WDH bars and one with.
Attached Thumbnails
NO WDH1.jpg   With WDH1.jpg  

Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #176

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't know who's Escape we are talking about now. I'm attaching two overview pix. One without the WDH bars and one with.
Sorry Glenn, I was looking at the close up of yours with the WDH bars installed.

The trailer looks level from the picture of the whole rig (WDH hooked up), but in the close up the tongue of the Escape appears to be pointed up a little. Maybe it is a little of perspective and/or the frame having a "S" bend? The trailer does appear to be nose down with the WDH disconnected, though.

There does appear to be an angle adjustment for the ball, and it appears to be leaned all the way forward (in the close up). From the picture, I would have suggested loosening the top bolt and leaning the ball back. And from the design of the WDH that would mean you would need another link for the chains.

Please ignore the recommendations if I'm wrong. Sometimes it is hard to tell from pictures posted online.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #177

British Columbia
Next time I'm out at Escape with the trailer I'll have Reece have a look. I think if I moved the trailer to another spot on the road and took pix it might look different.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #178

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
The trailer looks level from the picture of the whole rig (WDH hooked up), but in the close up the tongue of the Escape appears to be pointed up a little. Maybe it is a little of perspective and/or the frame having a "S" bend?
I think it is perspective: like almost every other travel trailer, the tongue is an A-frame, so looking at it from above the height of the frame makes the front look like it might be higher.

To judge frame attitude accurately in a photo, the camera would need to be at frame height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
There does appear to be an angle adjustment for the ball, and it appears to be leaned all the way forward (in the close up). From the picture, I would have suggested loosening the top bolt and leaning the ball back. And from the design of the WDH that would mean you would need another link for the chains.
Yes, the head angle controls the starting angle of the spring bars, and is used to adjust spring bar force when applied. If the head is tilted back but the force is to be kept the same, the chains would need to be lengthened, to accommodate the bars being tilted down to the rear more.

Why make this change? The spring bars are level now, as they are supposed to be. Yes, the head is at or near the extreme forward tilt position, but that is the inevitable result of applying relatively little force compared to the capacity of the WD system.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #179

Alberta
Glenn and Jon -
The WD head in your photos - specifically the angle-adjusting teeth - doesn't look like the one in either model of Eaz-Lift WD system by Camco. Is the online documentation just outdated, or do you both have some other model of WD system?

The operational principle is the same - I was just looking for installation instructions (to illustrate what I am saying about adjustment) which exactly match the WD system.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #180

British Columbia
Pro Series. This is tag on one of the bars.
Attached Thumbnails
WDHitch specs1.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #181

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Glenn and Jon -
The WD head in your photos - specifically the angle-adjusting teeth - doesn't look like the one in either model of Eaz-Lift WD system by Camco. Is the online documentation just outdated, or do you both have some other model of WD system?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Pro Series. This is tag on one of the bars.
Ah, right, you mentioned the brand before (perhaps in another thread). Thanks

I guess I was confused by this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
deryk asked for some information about the set up of my Camco EasyLift hitch...
... since Jon and Glenn appear to have the same system, which turns out to not be EAZ-Lift (or "EasyLift") at all.

PRO SERIES™ ROUND BAR
I see that in the installation instructions (N495698.pdf) they seem to use the chain length for fine force adjustment, and the head tilt for coarse adjustment:
Quote:
If there are no more chain links for adjustment, the head assembly must be tilted forward
... and vice versa (if the the chain gets too short, tilt the head backward), since they start in the middle. I think this is a generally lousy set of adjustment instructions.

Still, if the bars are level and the force is right, I see no reason to change the head tilt, since that would mess up either the final bar angle or the force applied.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #182

Tennessee
Quote:
I think it is perspective: like almost every other travel trailer, the tongue is an A-frame, so looking at it from above the height of the frame makes the front look like it might be higher.

To judge frame attitude accurately in a photo, the camera would need to be at frame height.
I looked at a couple pictures on Escape's web site - they look the same as Glenn's picture. The appear to have a slight "S" bend about where it comes out from under the body. But I don't know if it actually points up at all - like you said, a picture from a low angle would be needed.

Quote:
Yes, the head angle controls the starting angle of the spring bars, and is used to adjust spring bar force when applied. If the head is tilted back but the force is to be kept the same, the chains would need to be lengthened, to accommodate the bars being tilted down to the rear more.

Why make this change? The spring bars are level now, as they are supposed to be. Yes, the head is at or near the extreme forward tilt position, but that is the inevitable result of applying relatively little force compared to the capacity of the WD system.
Sorry, but looks like a poorly setup WDH. A properly designed and installed hitch would have the ball vertical and the bars horizontal. That looks like a way over sized WDH - tilted ball forward to lower preload on too strong bars so they could be pulled up level at correct loading. And making the ball straight up would cause the bars to hang down, possibly dragging.

I am picky about details. I would put lower load bars so I could tilt the ball back and still have them level.

And it looks like loading the bars would twist the adjustable hitch all the way forward. That top bolt would have to very tight or have "splines" to keep it where you set it. In a "break over" situation the hitch ball stud would impact the trailer hitch mechanism causing damage.

Going through a dip or deep driveway would be no problem, but crest a steep driveway in a parking lot and it may bind. Park the RAV4 back tyres on a tall speed bump and see how much room there is. The length of the Escape may make this a mute point.

Jason