RAV4 people: why is my hitch only 4 inches off the ground? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #15

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
i just want to thank everyone for such quick helpful replys

it helps to know the toyota -installed hitch had the same problem!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #16

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Another problem with the Toyota factory hitch, aside from costing about $350 more than it should, is that it is only a class 2 hitch receiver, so you cannot use a weight distribution hitch with it.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #17

New Hampshire
yes-my uhaul is a 3 and i'm so glad i was told it was better to go to uhaul than the dealer
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #18

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Quote:
alice-are you happier with the rav than the forrester?
I really liked the Forester. It towed very well, was good on gas, and very reliable. The only reason I traded was 2012 was the last year Rav had towing capacity of 3500#. I'm looking for a used 15' Escape and wanted to be able to jump on it if it comes up.
Right now I'm having trouble with the Rav's braking system. The ABS, brake, idiot lights intermitantly come on, and the cruise control won't work then either. The Toyota disconnected the wiring for the trailer, and everything has been fine. I doubt if Toyota will take care of the problem because U-Haul did the work. Odd part is, that U Haul installs all of Toyotas hitches here.

I haven't towed the Scamp yet, so I don't know if it will need a WDH or not.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #19

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Alice is yours a front bathroom? If not airbags would be fine but if you are planning on going larger I would just buy the wdh and be all boy scout prepared!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #20

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Dragging hitches is why I had mine custom made. Most available after market hitches hang under the rear facia and avoid cutting. A lot of factory hitches have an access door or cut a specific part of the facia.

With no factory option I built mine to come out of the facia in approximately the same area as the factory option does on models with a tow option. In my case that means a standard ball mount flipped over results in 18" ball height from the ground.

To me a large step up or down ball mount is just a lot of leverage. That usually means bent ball mount or undue strain on a hitch.

Or you could try a 2" version of one of these http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45562.html

Jason
Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #21

New Jersey
Registry
Jason thats a class 2 hitch, the rav4 for the weight needs a class 3...Interesting look to it though.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #22

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Alice is yours a front bathroom? If not airbags would be fine but if you are planning on going larger I would just buy the wdh and be all boy scout prepared!
Yes, mine is a front bathroom. When I get this ABS thing and hitch height worked out, I'll take it on a little road trip to see how it handles before I take it any distance. I hope there will be no regrets getting rid of Subie. It was a nice car and paid for.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #23

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Jason thats a class 2 hitch, the rav4 for the weight needs a class 3...Interesting look to it though.
I know, hence the reason I said a 2" version. I just copied a link from another forum without digging around for exactly what ya need.

Jason
Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #24

New Hampshire
do deryk is this what i need? and then somehow find the right ball to adjust up high enough? none of the others on that page are class 3...kinda overkill on the weight tho

Curt Class III Drawbar - 3/4" Rise, 2" Drop - 10-1/4" Long - 7,500 lbs Curt Ball Mounts C45020
Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Using levels on the trailer to determine if it is in fact level once hitched helps a lot - eyeballing it can be very deceiving - the first ball mount I purchased looked good to the eye but it was actually high. Having the correct hitch height can make a big difference to your towing experience. Normally a trailer that is level or very slightly down on the tongue will result in a more stable tow than a trailer that is sitting higher at the tongue or to far down.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #26

New Jersey
Registry
Probably something more like this Ball Mount 4-3/4" Rise or 6" Drop, 6,000 lbs Hidden Hitch Ball Mounts 80240

But with as heavy as your trailer is I would definatly look into a weight distribution hitch. Im ordering one on payday. I contemplated a casita 17 and decided against it do to the tongue weight...I wouldn't drive my rav4 around with it 4" from the ground. But to each their own.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #27

New Hampshire
i am so grateful for all the help i got here and i hope i didnt waste your time. i DID screw up in the beginning when i said the camper was not pushing the car down. it was. quite a bit. i drove it safely to the shop-the guy that was supposed to come here had and emergency and was at the hospital-so i drove slow and had no problems until i turned into the drive at the shop...just touched the ground a little

but when they unhooked it was obvious the ball is almost at the right height for the camper to travel level...and the camper did push the car down a lot.

so...i think i am right that the problem is the tongue weight? i have 2 full propane tanks on there and would prefer not to have them anyway so i hope i can find someone who will use the propane and give me back the tanks to store...in case i change my mind or get a bigger vehicle down the road.

besides that...is this where the levelers would work? or the bags? or someone suggested filling the water tank in the back and that would bring the tongue up.

the black and grey tanks are empty now and in front...so i guess it will be important to empty them often if i use them

i was so happy with my truck...it was so easy and i felt so safe. but i got this arthritis now and just driving was hurting me.

so-lighten up the front of the camper...use levelers? bags? any other tricks to keep the camper from pushing the car down like that? thx so much for all your time with this.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #28

New Jersey
Registry
Now I wouldn't get rid of both propane tanks I would drop down to 1. I was surprised about how high my tongue weight was butI boondock and need it still for heat...but by next month I'm dropping down to 1 tank and carrying my generator inside myParkLiner right over the axle.

We have 2 members here who tow a 17 foot trailer with a Rav4 so iI'm following them with using a weight distribution hitch because you see how much your Rav4 squats if you look at my pictures there is 1 with myRav4 really squatting down. The airbags make an improvement but I'm betting my steering axle is lighter when the trailer is attached. Also after this weekend with the swaying problem I had from the wind I picked a wdh with anti sway bracket....I think its a smart $265 purchase. Will raise the behind a bit and hopefully improve the towing situation. Its up to you but Jon and Glenn have racked a decent amount of miles towing with their rav4 .