RAV4 people: why is my hitch only 4 inches off the ground? - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #113

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
i have had trouble getting the 499901 wdh . when i ordered it last week they said 7-10 days. now it is 3-6 weeks.

the etrailer guy says the 499902 will be fine. my rv repair guy also says that. both weigh the same-about 90 lbs and cost the same.

reese had told me the 01 was much better for my rav.

so-i continue to be confused. don't know who to trust. is etrailer just saying that cuz they want to sell what they have?

i know i could check out what jon has: " Camco EasyLift hitch with 600 lb bars is the one I use on my Escape 17B & RAV4."

i'm not sure if i could add an anti-sway bar to it.

so-those with ravs i'd love to hear from you if you agree the 499902 is ok instead of the 499901.

thx, kayak

Old 04-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #114

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
i am so confused...i thought the pro series 49901 and 49903 were reeses...the're not? the're andersens?
"Pro Series" is only of the many Cequent brand names; Reese is a more common one. Those model numbers are the ones used for Pro Series.

Pro Series round bar WD
Reese round bar WD

Quote:
the etrailer guy says the 499902 will be fine. my rv repair guy also says that. both weigh the same-about 90 lbs and cost the same.
They weigh about the same and cost the same because they are the same shank, mounting the same head, using bars which are the same except a slight difference in thickness, connected to the trailer by the same hardware and brackets.

The thicker bars of the higher capacity setup add 2.3 pounds, according to the Reese website. I don't know why the Pro Series site approximates them to the same weight.

Quote:
reese had told me the 01 was much better for my rav
Yes, because the heavier spring bars are stiffer than appropriate for the small amount of load transfer required.

Quote:
is etrailer just saying that cuz they want to sell what they have?
That certainly seems likely to me!

Quote:
i know i could check out what jon has: " Camco EasyLift hitch with 600 lb bars is the one I use on my Escape 17B & RAV4."

i'm not sure if i could add an anti-sway bar to it.
These friction-type sway control devices attach to the trailer tongue with their own bracket (independent of the WD system) and to the hitch head with a small ball. Any WD system head with those "wings" to mount the small ball can be used with this type of way control.

As with most WD systems, the Eaz-Lift catalog shows these mounting wings on their hitch heads.

Two-bar chain-type WD systems are pretty much a generic commodity... they all work the same way, and you could probably pick the brand randomly (of the right capacity) and it likely wouldn't matter... once you have decided that you need something like this at all.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #115

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
While I don't have sway control on my hitch, the mounting holes for one or two small balls are part of the hitch. I don't know about the availability of the devices themselves or whether they need to be specific to the hitch brand...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #116

New Hampshire
thanks for chiming in guys. i think i am making the whole world mad at me cuz of my ignorance...but i know some of the on-line guys and and maybe the rv-repair guy are also trying to take advantage some.

brian-your explanations helped a lot. thru this whole thing i have been comparing the pro-series 01,02 and 03 and jons camco plus one other small one advertised for A-line trailers...deryk was looking at that too...but he helped me understand it was too small for me with the casita and it cost almost twice as much too.

the only reason the 03 was in there is because the rv guy here kept saying it was the best hitch for me. i questioned it being too big...he seemed mad at me but then without telling me he ordered the 02. i ordered the 01. i told the rv guy to send his back...and then etrailer tells me the 01 is out of stock and i cant get it til june!!!

so i canceled that...and later called etrailer cuz they didnt cancel it online and i was still getting notices i would get it in june.

well...when they knew i was mad and wanted to cancel all of a sudden they say the 02 is fine for me. they told me the price and weight were the same for all 3. (and i figured that are about 20 lbs heavier than jons...but jons doesnt have the anti sway yet)

and then they put the price down and say they will ship it free "tonight" ...so i said yes. i can back out. but from what i understand it probably will work.

and if i get a bigger car or go back to a truck i will have it. i know i may have a "stiffer" ride...and i know i have to be real careful about not adding to TW. i travel light. i'm alone so can pack stuff on seats instead of in the back. i plan to take off propane anyway. my biggest concern is i really do need my kayak...i wonder if i have it higher in the back maybe there will be more weight forward...

anyway-thanks again. sorry to be such a pain. it was soooooo much easier with the truck. i'm beginning to wish i just kept it.

like i said...i can still get out of using the:

Weight Distribution - Pro Series

the 02 one that is

and who knows if it will even arrive with all the parts and everything...when you read the reviews some have great luck others go crazy with missing or bent parts...

but if you think i am making a big mistake with the PS 499902 please let me know.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #117

Alberta
Since the system in the same brand and series are different only in the spring bars, it is possible (with most brands) to buy just the bars. You could buy the lighter bars later, but that will be extra expense, because I assume it won't be possible to return the heavier ones.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #118

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
While I don't have sway control on my hitch, the mounting holes for one or two small balls are part of the hitch. I don't know about the availability of the devices themselves or whether they need to be specific to the hitch brand...
No, the only relationship between the sway control device and the WD system is the mounting point for that small ball... which is an industry standard. The "complete" system is just a WD system and a sway control device with the same brand name and sold at the same time in a package deal. Mix and match at will.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #119

New Hampshire
my ps499902 left MO fri and is in MA tonight. so maybe tomorrow i get to see if it will fit. i have the little battery for the brakes. and someone to use up my propane...so i am really hoping i can get on the road soon.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #120

New Hampshire
ok. the hitch arrived in 5 days from MO - free shipping -the box is shredded. parts are sticking out. i have no idea if all parts are there or if it is broken.

tomorrow i will take it to the shop and find out i guess. i have read about the hitches being delivered bent up and with parts missing. hope that doesnt happen to me.

denny-so you are not worried about going over the TW? the rav is new to me and i owe a lot on it and i dont want to damage it. i'm not sure if i could feel if something was wrong. i only lost one trailer in my life-no one was hurt-but i dont want to do that again. and i really dont want to damage the car. when i finally get hooked up i need to make sure i understand from you rav ppl what gears to use...the truck had a special button for towing. the rav doesnt. but first i need to be hooked up i guess.

on the way home i stopped to look at a 16' rear bath escape. i think its a 2007 but that isnt written on the paperwork. it has had a lot of use. and smells. not like my casita. but the TW is only 220 and the dry weight is 1860 and gross 3690. it has an awning and outside shower-not sure how much weight that adds. my hitch and car cant go over 3500. it has a little tiny propane tank. they want $9999. for it plus $250. for paperwork.

that was before he knew i had a casita . he says he can sell the casita outright this weekend...but wouldnt rel me for how much. and he said he has 4 other buyers for the escape.

i really want to make the casita work. i love all the windows and screens and how easy it is to heat and keep cool.

and i just want to get on the road already! i hate the wheelin and dealin...

thx for all the help along the way...i hope this will come to a good conclusion soon.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #121

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I don't think the Escape ( rear bath ) that they are trying to sell you is the Escape you want to buy. There is Escape, a fibreglass trailer made in Chilliwack, and there is another that is some sort of sandwich sticky type construction. The Escape trailers that people on this forum talk so favourably about are the ones made in Chilliwack. They sell a 15', 17', 19' and fifth wheel, with a 21 to come.
This is my 17'
Attached Thumbnails
toad deep bay 3.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #122

New Hampshire
oh-its so good i found you guys. this one is made in sturgis MI www.cikiarv.com
Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #123

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Yup, account suspended and other URLs lead nowhere. Appears to be out of business.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #124

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
ok. the hitch arrived in 5 days from MO - free shipping -the box is shredded. parts are sticking out. i have no idea if all parts are there or if it is broken.

tomorrow i will take it to the shop and find out i guess. i have read about the hitches being delivered bent up and with parts missing. hope that doesnt happen to me.

denny-so you are not worried about going over the TW? the rav is new to me and i owe a lot on it and i dont want to damage it. i'm not sure if i could feel if something was wrong. i only lost one trailer in my life-no one was hurt-but i dont want to do that again. and i really dont want to damage the car. when i finally get hooked up i need to make sure i understand from you rav ppl what gears to use...the truck had a special button for towing. the rav doesnt. but first i need to be hooked up i guess.

on the way home i stopped to look at a 16' rear bath escape. i think its a 2007 but that isnt written on the paperwork. it has had a lot of use. and smells. not like my casita. but the TW is only 220 and the dry weight is 1860 and gross 3690. it has an awning and outside shower-not sure how much weight that adds. my hitch and car cant go over 3500. it has a little tiny propane tank. they want $9999. for it plus $250. for paperwork.

that was before he knew i had a casita . he says he can sell the casita outright this weekend...but wouldnt rel me for how much. and he said he has 4 other buyers for the escape.

i really want to make the casita work. i love all the windows and screens and how easy it is to heat and keep cool.

and i just want to get on the road already! i hate the wheelin and dealin...

thx for all the help along the way...i hope this will come to a good conclusion soon.
K,
....don't panic just yet !! Take this all slowly, and one step at a time. You have a car. You have a trailer, and now you have a hitch that is most likely just fine and dandy even though the box is torn up. Just work thru it all methodically, and in the end you will come to a workable solution....but I would suggest for sure working with you have first, and only rule things "out" if it becomes clear that some part of the whole picture is not going to be a good fit. Remember, this all about camping and having fun ! It's supposed to "relieve" stress, not "create " it !
Old 04-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #125

New Hampshire
"Remember, this all about camping and having fun ! It's supposed to "relieve" stress, not "create " it !"

Amen!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #126

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:

denny-so you are not worried about going over the TW? the rav is new to me and i owe a lot on it and i dont want to damage it. i'm not sure if i could feel if something was wrong. i only lost one trailer in my life-no one was hurt-but i dont want to do that again. and i really dont want to damage the car. when i finally get hooked up i need to make sure i understand from you rav ppl what gears to use...the truck had a special button for towing. the rav doesnt.
I'm not worried. Axle weights are within spec and there is no sign or bending or deformation at hitch attach points. This is an aftermarket hitch, not the way expensive Toyota one. I looked a few days ago when car was on lift for muffler replacement.

When I hook up to move tomorrow I'll measure hitch height with no trailer, then with trailer and post tomorrow evening.

The first thing I'd do before spending a lot of money is measure your tongue weight. That WD hitch is going to add a lot more tongue weight than you will ever make up by removing propane tanks.

Regarding what gear to tow in: I've tried leaving it in drive and leaving it in 4 and get the same mileage either way. On the freeway I usually leave it in drive and I think the wind load at 65 mph is so great the the trans computer picks 4 anyway. Driving from S Alabama to N Florida Monday on gently rolling country roads at 55 the trans constantly shifted to 5 on downhills and 4 on uphills is l put it in 4 manually.

A picture of your trailer hitched up would help us help you.