RAV4 people: why is my hitch only 4 inches off the ground? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #41

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
What kind of bags did you get? The Goodyear RAV4 bags go inside the coils and are as long as the coil springs... If you have some universal bags, that might be the issue.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #42

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Nope the firestone bags for my year and model Rav4. I guess its all in how they decide to make them. I thought about adding a thicker plastic piece at the bottom of the spring where the hose goes through... but it works fine but isn't going to raise it up higher then without the airbags.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
[I]alice-are you happier with the rav than the forrester?[/I]

I really liked the Forester. It towed very well, was good on gas, and very reliable. The only reason I traded was 2012 was the last year Rav had towing capacity of 3500#. I'm looking for a used 15' Escape and wanted to be able to jump on it if it comes up.
Right now I'm having trouble with the Rav's braking system. The ABS, brake, idiot lights intermitantly come on, and the cruise control won't work then either. The Toyota disconnected the wiring for the trailer, and everything has been fine. I doubt if Toyota will take care of the problem because U-Haul did the work. Odd part is, that U Haul installs all of Toyotas hitches here.

I haven't towed the Scamp yet, so I don't know if it will need a WDH or not.
If U Haul didn't use Toyota's trailer wiring harness, and tapped into the RAV4's wiring at the rear of the vehicle, that may explain why you are having ABS & cruise control problems. While it is a pain to run the wiring to the connector under the dash, that is the "official" way to wire trailer lights & it works fine for my Escape.

As to the discussion of air bags & weight distribution hitches, both can help with vehicle "squat", but neither increase tongue weight limits. The RAV4 is limited to 350 lbs, which, as Deryk has pointed out, limits using one to tow a front bathroom Casita.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #44

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
As to the discussion of air bags & weight distribution hitches, both can help with vehicle "squat", but neither increase tongue weight limits. The RAV4 is limited to 350 lbs, which, as Deryk has pointed out, limits using one to tow a front bathroom Casita.
Really? I would have figured that limit was more tied to the factory spring rate which is the main purpose for getting the "500-1000lb load increasing" air bags.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #45

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I have airbags from Summit Racing in the rear coils of my Golf and they are shorter than the coils. But they most certainly raise the rear of the car when fully inflated.

The tongue weight capacity is inclusive of all aspects of the weight being applied to rear of the vehicle. Any weak link in this system will lower the capacity. That could include the hitch itself, the uni-body frame where the hitch attaches, the rear springs, etc....

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #46

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
ThomasG and Brian B-P;

After Toyota reconnects everything, I'm first taking it over to U-Haul and inquire about the gauge wire for the brakes. I haven't even had the Scamp hooked up to the RAV yet. I just get the idiot lites coming on as I drive. When the 7Pin connector is disconnected from the RAV, I get no idiot lites. The Toyota tech said it has to do with electronic resistance that informs the computer and lets me know thru the idiot lights. Even tho' I bought the V6 with the "towing package", and the owners manual claims it is capable of towing 3500#, Toyota technical said it wasn't meant to have a 7 Pin plug, just a 4 pin. But, they also say if you pull over 1000#, you need to have brakes on the trailer..thus the need for a 7 Pin. The Toyota garage has pictures of the wiring, and claim it is done to specs and well done. So, I chalk it up to a runaround by Toyota. If push comes to shove, Toyota is responsible if my ABS is disabled because of computer problems and causes an accident.
I'll also check around the Rav4 boards and see if there is any discussion about a 7 pin connector.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #47

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
i'm trying to follow this discussion...as it applys to me.

when i went to bed last night i thought my problem was fixable. now i dont know with the bathroom issue. i cant change that. but i dont have to use water-or much water anyway.

do the grey and black water tanks under the bathroom also add to the tongue weight? i have some control over that.

casita told me the tongue weight was 365 not 350 even tho loaded weight is considered 3500

so, with the chairs out and propane tanks off and tanks empty and very little personal stuff-are you saying even with WDH and bags i will not be able to pull safely? i mostly go on good roads and mostly flat and not even far from home.

also-will putting the 50 lb kayak on the car roof make it worse or better. some were saying it would be better because it breaks the wind.

this is so far into the discussion to realize i might not be able to make it work.

i hope i am reading it wrong but really appreciate all of you who have experience replying.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #48

New Jersey
Registry
Alice, IMHO that sounds like BS from the dealer. My Rav4 has the tow package but came without any trailer wireing(none of them do). I purchased the hitch and wiring kit off of ebay and installed it myself. There were wiring adapters that fit into the connections for the break/turnsignal light bulb modules and ran back to the 4 pin plug (plus one that ran to my battery for power)that I initially used (my first trailer was my home built teardrop trailer sized gypsy vardo...pics are in my album) When I was serious about buying a larger trailer I went to a local trailer place and for $250 dollars they wired in the break controller and 7 pin conenctor connecting into that wire harness I installed. Haven't had any issues with my lights (knock on wood lol).

Now from what I have heard from other people, there was time it was acceptable to cut into your wires and splice in the trailer lights but isn't recomended anylonger.

This kit is very similar to the one I purchased and installed myself. 2006 2012 Toyota RAV4 Rav 4 Class 3 Trailer Hitch Wiring Kit 2" 51157 412 | eBay

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #49

New Hampshire
i went to the link about "weight in the real world" and am more confused because the casita freedom is mentioned many times all with different weights. none say if they are deluxe or not.

so tongue weights go from 240 to 420.

but dealer tole me mine (2007 casita freedom deluxe) was 365
Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #50

New Jersey
Registry
Kayak, it is doable but your really going to have to watch the tongue weight. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Look for your model casita on the chart and see what the tongue weights for various ones are listed at. I contemplated buying a casita 17 but the chart was pointed out to me and decided against it. Now I wasn't expecting my ParkLiner to come up so tongue heavy either and Its something Im going to have to work with. Fortunatly my cold weather camping is limited so I can get by with a 20lb propane tank for normal useage and drop my tongue weight about 40lbs and it would make a difference big time for me. Adding the Weight Distribution Hitch(WDH) will also help alot. For you I strongly recomend it.

Yes I do read on people here who work out a careful balance of water in their rear tanks to lighten up the tongue weight some but you have to be careful about too much rear weight and sway issues. I personally would prefer not haveing to keep playing around with a scale.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #51

Trailer: 1992 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Wallo we had the same problem with our new 2010 RAV4 dealer installed tow package. After a number of return trips to the dealer it was determined that the taillight, turn signal module was defective. When that was replaced we have had no further problems.
Martha Effinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #52

New Jersey
Registry
Casita Travel Trailers - Our Showroom | The Patriot, Spirit Deluxe, Freedom Deluxe, Liberty Deluxe | Call 800-442-9986

I think they are all deluxes and the weights vary to a point based on how much stuff people have in them for regular camping. Some travel heavier then others.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #53

New Hampshire
i went to the link about "weight in the real world" and am more confused because the casita freedom is mentioned many times all with different weights. none say if they are deluxe or not.

i checked again and saw #30 is 16' liberty deluxe that might be closest to mine-if the 17's listed were not del. it had tongue weight of 280

and i guess #65 is Freds so maybe he will tell me if his is deluxe-and if propane and water tanks were full
his tongue was 360

dealer told me mine (2007 casita freedom deluxe) was 365-so its close...

i still need to know if i can make this work. i could also take out the bath sink and shower but i cant see that would take away much weight.

thanks again

reading about the u-haul wiring stuff is upsetting too...but one thing at a time i guess-if i cant pull it it wont really matter
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #54

New Hampshire
deryk-posted same time as you. thx. that is helpful-i can go really light. would like the kayak on the car too tho. does that help or hurt tongue weight.

back later.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #55

Texas
Adding a bit of weight, you might also check the tire capacity. Factory tire capacity may also be a big factor on that 350lb weight limit. I even run E rated tires on my Astro van so I seldom have concerns about load limits of the TV tires.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #56

New Jersey
Registry
Its gonna be hard to say, but yours has a 365lb tongue weight dry per casita... removeing the tanks would shave about 40lbs off the tongue weight.

What is the difference between the Standard and the Deluxe Casita models?
Standard Models do not include bathrooms. That area is replaced by a bunk bed/couch. A/C is optional.
Deluxe Models all have full bathrooms with toilet and shower, along with standard A/C.

56___17_____Casita_____Freedom______2680_____360__ __3040
58___17_____Casita_____Freedom______2620_____420__ __3040
60___17_____Casita_____Freedom______2700_____420__ __3120
63___17_____Casita_____Freedom______2760_____420__ __3180
65___17_____Casita_____Freedom______2880_____360__ __3240
76___17_____Casita_____Freedom______2980_____340__ __3320
81___17_____Casita_____Freedom______3000_____360__ __3360

17" SPECIFICATIONS
• Overall length ...................................
• Overall height ...................................
• Interior height ...................................
• Overall width ....................................
• Approx. dry weight standard .........
• Approx. dry weight deluxe ............
• Approx. hitch weight dry standard
• Approx. hitch weight dry deluxe ..
• Tire size ............................................
Axle capacity ...................................
• Sleeps ...............................................
• Class III hitch recommended

17'
8'-11"
6'-1-1/2"
6'-8"
2210 lbs.
2480 lbs.
295 lbs.
365 lbs.
15"
3500 lbs.
2 - 6

Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #57

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
ThomasG and Brian B-P;

After Toyota reconnects everything, I'm first taking it over to U-Haul and inquire about the gauge wire for the brakes. I haven't even had the Scamp hooked up to the RAV yet. I just get the idiot lites coming on as I drive. When the 7Pin connector is disconnected from the RAV, I get no idiot lites. The Toyota tech said it has to do with electronic resistance that informs the computer and lets me know thru the idiot lights. Even tho' I bought the V6 with the "towing package", and the owners manual claims it is capable of towing 3500#, Toyota technical said it wasn't meant to have a 7 Pin plug, just a 4 pin. But, they also say if you pull over 1000#, you need to have brakes on the trailer..thus the need for a 7 Pin. The Toyota garage has pictures of the wiring, and claim it is done to specs and well done. So, I chalk it up to a runaround by Toyota. If push comes to shove, Toyota is responsible if my ABS is disabled because of computer problems and causes an accident.
I'll also check around the Rav4 boards and see if there is any discussion about a 7 pin connector.
Alice there are different ways to connect trailer lights.

• One way is to connect them directly to the tow vehicle lights.
  • A second way is to use an electronic module that powers the trailer lights off the tow vehicle lights
  • A third kind of module is powered directly off the tow battery, but uses a signal from the tow lights to operate the trailer lights.
Some newer vehicles with sophisticated electronics need the third kind. You need to understand what you need and what you have. A good place to start is the Toyota forum that I linked. Do a search there and if you find no answer, post a question there.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #58

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Yes Arlon, if the vehicle can support it and from a little over 2 years of towing with my Rav4, it has a soft rear end even with the airbags in the rear the nose is still pointing up a bit.
Me thinks you just hit the hammer on the head in regards to your sway issue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #59

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Alice there are different ways to connect trailer lights.

• One way is to connect them directly to the tow vehicle lights.
  • A second way is to use an electronic module that powers the trailer lights off the tow vehicle lights
  • A third kind of module is powered directly off the tow battery, but uses a signal from the tow lights to operate the trailer lights.
Some newer vehicles with sophisticated electronics need the third kind. You need to understand what you need and what you have. A good place to start is the Toyota forum that I linked. Do a search there and if you find no answer, post a question there.
Its a good bet the Forester that Alice had also had the electronic module (my older Outback does hidden under the panels in the rear of the car) and perhaps who ever did the install of the wiring harness/hitch to the Toyota didnt add one (thats been known to happen) as they often dont come with one pre wiring from the factory & it needs to be added with the final section of the wiring harness or if there is one its not malfunctioning correctly (I had one go bad) - although I would be surprised if someone didnt look at that when they tried to fix her problem.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #60

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post

i checked again and saw #30 is 16' liberty deluxe that might be closest to mine-if the 17's listed were not del. it had tongue weight of 280

and i guess #65 is Freds so maybe he will tell me if his is deluxe-and if propane and water tanks were full
his tongue was 360

dealer told me mine (2007 casita freedom deluxe) was 365-so its close...

i still need to know if i can make this work. i could also take out the bath sink and shower but i cant see that would take away much weight.

thanks again

reading about the u-haul wiring stuff is upsetting too...but one thing at a time i guess-if i cant pull it it wont really matter
The tongue weight changes depending on how you load it. Any figures from Casita or even from the "real world" chart are only estimates. You MUST weigh your own trailer including tongue weight. Take it to a public scale and the guys there will help you. Without data you are just guessing.