RAV4 problems, need new TV - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-30-2015, 01:04 AM   #71

Name: Walter
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
I understand the leather heated seat issue. Two things from our last car that we felt were most haves heated seats (although we're went cloth this time and love them) and automatic climate control. Set and forget.

Funny thing our last car had automatic wipers. We really miss those. Always the right speed.

Sent remotely

Old 01-30-2015, 01:06 AM   #72

British Columbia
VicCT this was a first hit on the ole google caldron.

http://www.rvmagonline.com/features/...s/viewall.html

Sent remotely

Old 01-30-2015, 01:19 AM   #73

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Do you have any idea what "flat towable" means? Anybody?
Old 01-30-2015, 02:00 AM   #74

British Columbia
RAV4 problems, need new TV

Flat towing is towing your car with all wheels on the ground like behind an RV. Not related to the OP's questions.

That article mentions the Nissan Pathfinder. vicCT have you considered? Even the Xterra can pull 5000lbs

Sent remotely
Old 01-30-2015, 02:54 AM   #75

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicCT View Post
I can tie one too!

And while the idea of a pickup truck is nice, aren't there issues with the security of things left in the back, even with a cap on the bed? Hard to lock them or easy to steal the cap or something along those lines? And I am not sure I could get a pickup with the comfort features I want (heated leather seats, in particular - - this is a must have for me) in a reasonable price range.
As far as your concern to truck secuity, there are bad folks everywhere. You just have to do the best you can to have them move on to someone else. Same as storing your trailer in an RV lot. I've had pickups with and without shells for 40+ years and have never had anything taken. That's even living in the San Diego area and many trips to big box stores, maybe I was just lucky. Some things I did lock in the cab if I could but I never locked the shells because if someone wanted it bad enough I wouldn't have to repair the door too.
As far as comfort features.....P/Us quite a few years ago became the choice of folks for a second vehicle and the makers have made them with all the same features you can get with top of the line cars and prices pretty much the same, dang
Old 01-30-2015, 03:17 AM   #76

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Do you have any idea what "flat towable" means? Anybody?

A bit off the your question Glenn but something that suprised me and I thought I would pass on for info. I had a Suzuki Samauri that I would flat tow once in a while. The manual tells you to tow it in 2nd gear with stops every 200 miles, disconnect and drive it a bit before towing again. Never towed it that far at one time but I sure was questioning that info the first time and was expecting to hear bad noises a tranny repair. It did work out fine.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #77
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Steve View Post

Minivans are great for canoeing (and most other tasks, comfort, seating capacity, storage, long wheelbase, short overhang, long roofline for canoes) but probably not beefy enough for my 17. I'm also concerned about ground clearance as they continue to lower them for aerodynamics.
"not beefy enough for your 17", you are joking right

A few months ago I walked away from a nice 2006 BMW X5 because we thought our 90 and 97 year old mother's would have trouble climbing up into the vehicles.

We bought a 2004 Toyota mini van instead but since found out the height of the Sienna is just as high as the big SUV. We carry a step when we transport the ladies so they can easily get up and into the van.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #78

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Yes PC Steve with a Casita 17 you would be over most mini van's recommended towing capacity (3500 lbs) and over the recommended tongue weight as they are tongue heavy.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #79

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Floyd, Comments like yours indicate either vastly superior knowledge of the automotive industry or a clear indication you have never read Consumer Reports.....Consumer Reports tests every vehicle to exacting standards...they also gather data about older vehicles to establish their long term durability and reliability. If you have a problem with that you may be beyond all hope.

Based on my own real life experience and vehicle ownership history I can agree with their observations. I am no automotive authority but having been burned by models from Dodge, Jeep, GM and Ford....all models found to be sub-standard in Consumer Reports. Once I discovered Consumer Reports and avoided the vehicles they rated as "Not Reccomended" my vehicle ownership experience has been less stressful. I am a 68 year old adult and never too old to learn something new everyday.

Happy Camping
Old 01-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #80

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Florida
"Beefy" indeed referred to tow ratings versus my 17 Casita, although it works for some.

Seat height is an important consideration as we become more infirmed. Right now a minivan would be my "Goldilocks" vehicle in terms of ingress and egress. I have to climb into my truck and out of my car. Most minivans are "just right" ( for me).
Old 01-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #81
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Steve View Post
"Beefy" indeed referred to tow ratings versus my 17 Casita, although it works for some.
Sorry Steve. When I hear the word "beefy" when it relates to towing and vehicle integrity I think of toughness, strength, etc.
In these parts it is common to see many models of Mini Vans towing trailers that look like Goliath compared to your 17' egg. History has shown they work great any way you care to measure.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #82

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
I moved from a RAV4 to a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The RAV was fine but had a lot of miles and a tiny gas tank. No unintended acceleration though.

I posted a thread about my experience (very positive) titled "towing with a 2014 JGC". In September 2013. I'm sure you can find it with a search. A nice thing about the JGC and new Cherokee too is they can be ordered with a tow package that includes a 2" hitch receiver, four and seven pin plugs, a plug in brake controller port and load leveling rear shocks. Thus equipped the V6 GC is rated for 6200# the Cherokee for 4500. 2010 to 2013 GCs are virtually the same vehicle. The main change for 2014 and later is moving from a five speed to an eight speed auto trans.

They get lousy consumer reports reliability ratings. I'm on my fourth one and I'll likely buy another when this one wears out.

I wanted the smallest, best mileage vehicle I could get with the highest tow rating. That's the JGC. Almost any V6 small SUV or minivan is rated to tow 3500#, mid size suvs are mostly rated for 5000. Jeep and its 3 row twin the Dodge Durango are the only medium size SUVs rated for 6200. The European brands tow more but are much more expensive. A VW Touareg diesel would be an awesome tow vehicle but 10k$ more expensive, less luxury and even worse reliability ratings than Jeep.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Old 01-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #83

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
My primary concern in buying a tow vehicle is short term and long term reliability. We have been a one vehicle family for 14 years, we tow for 8 months a year and are often way out where the nearest dealership can be 100s of miles. We want a tow vehicle that does not fail. When traveling we are alone, we don't travel with others, partially because we're pokey emmas, taking our time as we travel.

We rarely bring our tow vehicle for service to a dealer. We get our oil changes at places dedicated to changing oil. We carry brake pads and a fan belt, changing the pads as needed. We virtually never touch our brake rotors. We expect our cars to rarely need drive line service. Our CRV never had anything done to the engine and when we sold it, the clutch was original.

Good mileage is a bonus.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #84

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Yes PC Steve with a Casita 17 you would be over most mini van's recommended towing capacity (3500 lbs) and over the recommended tongue weight as they are tongue heavy.
We own a 2013 17 ft Casita deluxe . The Casita' s factory listed tongue weight is 365 Lbs . Our Casita when fully loaded for travel (2 full tanks of propane) has a tongue weight of Approx 425 Lbs . The tongue weight of my trailer is well over the allowable tongue weight for most small vehicles (200 &350 Lbs) The idea that any vehicle with a 3500 lb tow rating can tow any fiberglass trailer is flat out wrong . I agree with Bob Miller ,that you need to do the math and not go by someone's opinion ,which may or may not be based in reality . We are looking at purchasing a new Escape and we are not going to assume that because we tow with a 1/2 ton truck that everything is automatically OK

PS ; I have the same view on the value of CR as Floyd .