RAV4 problems, need new TV - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #101
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I bought a new Ram pickup in Oct of 2011 for $23,800 , I traded in the 2011 truck with 60,000 miles on it in Dec of 2014 for $19,500 .
Steve... besides getting the good deal was there any other reason for trading in a relatively new vehicle?? These days we are getting over 15 years of good service out of our vehicles with very few problems.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #102

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Trade In

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Steve... besides getting the good deal was there any other reason for trading in a relatively new vehicle?? These days we are getting over 15 years of good service out of our vehicles with very few problems.
The truck was coming to the point of needing a lot of scheduled /regular maintenance . The transmission ,rearend ,4 wheel transfer case needed a fluid/ filter change. needed new tires , shocks & brakes were worn ,spark plugs needed to be replaced (16 plugs), air filter and several other things I can not recall at this moment needed servicing. Adding up the cost to perform the listed maintenance / repair items and the loss of trade in value by waiting another year was enough to sway us into buying a new truck . Plus the 2011 truck lacked many options which we wanted. We mainly use our truck for towing . If one follows the maintenance schedule listed in the owners manual for vehicles used in towing , the listed mileage are basically cut in half so all the normal 100,000 mile maintenance items were coming due
I did not want to stick $2K to $3K or more into a truck with over 60,000 miles . In the past I have driven our vehicles into the ground to the point of the repair costs exceeding the vehicle's value ,never again. Plus I don't enjoy working on cars especially at my age and outside in the winter.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #103
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Plus I don't enjoy working on cars especially at my age and outside in the winter.
I'm with you on that one Steve. No fun at all. Back in the 70's I recall replacing a head gasket on my 70 AMX on a cold blustery day out side in the parking lot at the apartment I was renting at the time. Brutal!!!

Thnxs for the update on your trade specs.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #104

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicCT View Post

I will call our trailer guy about removing the brake controller. Glad to hear the Frontier is all wired up!
You should be able to simple remove it yourself. If its a Tekonsha Prodigy/P2 the wires to it are all together on a harness that just clips into the back of the controller. To remove it, take the controller out of the holder. To remove the wiring harness from the back of it - there is a little clip on the top of the wiring harness right at the controller that can be hard to see but it needs to be pressed and the wiring connection will just pop out. There are lots of online videos as to how to do it.

Assuming your Frontier already has the Brake Controller plug and play connection installed - Its white and its located just under the dash by your right knee, you will need to purchase a Tekonsha (or what ever brand of controller you have) Electric Brake Control Plug in Wiring harness for your Nissan. The dealer probable doesnt have one but you can get them from E-trailer - Tekonsha Plug in Wiring Adapter for Electric Brake Controller. E- trailer offers great service and fast shipping.

The hardest part of installing the controller in the Frontier is picking a spot to mount it. The harness comes with lots of wire so lots of places you can put the controller. I had to coil up the extra wire and hide what I did not use up under the dash with a zip tie. If you go to the Nissan Frontier Forum there are posts on where/how people have mounted the controller. I ended up using removable mounting bracket on mine but did not screw it into place - used heavy duty marine velcro and mounted as far right as I could - it actually sits part way in the gap between the lower centre console and the dash where the heater and radio controls are. Like it there as it is a very easy reach if I ever need to use the manual lever and I don't need to look down to find the controller. Been there for a year and has not come loose.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #105

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Floyd, Comments like yours indicate either vastly superior knowledge of the automotive industry or a clear indication you have never read Consumer Reports.....Consumer Reports tests every vehicle to exacting standards...they also gather data about older vehicles to establish their long term durability and reliability. If you have a problem with that you may be beyond all hope.

Happy Camping
Thanks for the compliment!
I have of course read Consumer Reports enough to see the pattern of bias.
I guess I would feel beyond all hope if I didn't know enough about the auto industry to pick a vehicle without Consumer Reports sales pitch.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #106

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicCT View Post
Update: spent all day at dealer, test drove a variety of tvs, ended up with Nissan Frontier SV, brand new. Heated seats and backup camera, but no leather. Sirius radio though, which I wanted. Never bought new before but got a good deal. On our way out of town for weekend but will post more on Monday re: RAV. Thanks all!
Vicki, Great call IMHO! We were ready to make the jump to a new Frontier until I read that they might have a small diesel engine option coming soon. I'm a big diesel fan for towing, so I'm willing to wait another year or two to see what materializes and user reviews (and yes, we value Consumer Reports reviews for everything from can openers to cars). Our current primary tow vehicle (2002 Highlander) still gets the job done fine, but the miles keep piling up (~140,000 miles). Regarding leather seats - living in the deep south, I'm not a big fan. Parked in the sun on a hot August day, that leather can burn the back of your legs, and they just don't breath as well as cloth seats, so then the back of your legs can get a bit sweaty, too (I know, too much information!). But up north, I know you'll love them...

Also, there is a company that makes after-market replacement outside mirrors for the Frontier that extend for a better rear view. They use the same factory remote control plus they extend for a better rear view and are heated (to remove ice and fog). They are mentioned in another "Towing" thread on FGRV that discusses extension mirrors. So check out that thread and see if you might want to put on a set of those, too.

Enjoy that new Frontier! Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #107

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
What will they charge to remove the cloth and add leather? Is there any advantage to that process versus buying a custom leather seat cover that slips on (tightly)?
Exact Fit Seat Covers - GTCovers.com Here's a place that makes real leather covers for under $400 per row, or get "leatherette" (hard to tell the difference, probably) for $229. You only need to buy the front row covers, and they can be either left on or taken off when selling.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #108

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Thanks for the compliment!
I have of course read Consuer Reports enough to see the pattern of bias.
I guess I would feel beyond all hope if I didn't know enough about the auto industry to pick a vehicle without Consumer Reports sales pitch.
Vehicles are not the only subject area where CR has a known pattern of bias
Their testing criteria is often slanted to produce CR's desired results.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #109

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post

Also, there is a company that makes after-market replacement outside mirrors for the Frontier that extend for a better rear view. They use the same factory remote control plus they extend for a better rear view and are heated (to remove ice and fog). They are mentioned in another "Towing" thread on FGRV that discusses extension mirrors.

CIPA makes the best custom slip-on extension mirrors,check them out.
that's prollythe company to which you refer.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #110

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Best extension mirrors are Milenco Grand Aero. http://www.milenco.com/products/mirr...towing-mirror/
This is link to Milenco site, but I believe you can get them at Costco.

Link to thread on replacement mirrors for Frontier:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ier-63549.html
Old 02-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #111

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post

Also, there is a company that makes after-market replacement outside mirrors for the Frontier that extend for a better rear view. They use the same factory remote control plus they extend for a better rear view and are heated (to remove ice and fog). They are mentioned in another "Towing" thread on FGRV that discusses extension mirrors.

CIPA makes the best custom slip-on extension mirrors,check them out.
that's prollythe company to which you refer.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #112

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Tennessee
We also traded our 2004 Chrysler minivan for a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 after looking at just about all cars posted here except pickups as my wife didn't want a truck. We looked for enough towing capacity with a nice margin and ease of setting it up for towing. The 6200# towing capacity and setup with the towing package, just plug in the brake controller and go. As an added bonus, the minivan got about 13 MPG towing and the JGC gets about 17 MPG, a significant upgrade. I attribute it to the 8 speed transmission and a nice V6 engine. With the 25 gallon fuel tank, we go about twice as far before needing to stop for gas. Consumer Reports rated it good at first, then revised downward due to the radio/ entertainment center. It works OK but it tends to lose settings which is annoying but not dangerous. So far, so good.
hwdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #113
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwdornbush View Post
We also traded our 2004 Chrysler minivan / the minivan got about 13 MPG towing
That is disgraceful.

We got better than that with our 93 Nissan Minivan towing the 23'. Our 2004 Sienna van is averaging 23MPG with mostly city driving.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #114

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
I have a recall notice from Toyota regarding the "unintended acceleration" issue. It kills the engine, I believe, when the brake and the accelerator are both pressed.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #115

Frank F

Is this a recent notice or a couple years old?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #116

California
The notice came last month.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #117

And, for what vehicle and what year?
Last recall I got ( it's fixed ) was for some spiral gear or something in the steering column that could affect the air bag. Couple months back.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:10 PM   #118

California
We got the spiral gear thing and something else also. The car is a 2011 Corolla but I believe a good argument could be made to have the same fix made to their car that is doing the same thing. I have a 2007 RAV 4 Limited, V6 tow vehicle towing my 1997 16' Scamp. I have no problems.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:33 PM   #119

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Link to thread on replacement mirrors for Frontier:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ier-63549.html
Glenn's link to the previous post by Alf S regarding the "1aauto" replacement mirrors is the one I was thinking of for Vicki to check out for her new Frontier. Thanks, Glenn for finding that thread and sharing the link. Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #120

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Frank F

Is this a recent notice or a couple years old?
The Transport Canada Road Safety Recall Database search indicates Glenn the brake issue was for 2012 & 13 model years RAV4, Tacoma's & Lexus RX350
Recall Detail reads:

"On certain vehicles, a manufacturing defect could affect the functioning of the electric brake actuator, illuminating various warning lights in the instrument panel of the vehicle and disabling the antilock braking system (ABS), traction control and vehicle stability control systems. This could increase the risk of a crash causing injury and/or property damage. Correction: Dealers will update the vehicle stability control ECU software and affect repairs as necessary."
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote