Rav4 vs. Forester - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #15

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
If it is just me I will probably never go over a 13. I am thinking of looking for a 13 that is more comfy for two who don't want to sleep together. (me and my mom, That is.). But my thought was if there wasn't a lot of difference the extra capacity might come in handy some day. That's why I am interested. The Subaru does great with the Campster but I don't buy a new vehicle often so I want to think ahead. Plus I keep seeing newer trailers and thinking that would be great to have, but not with my car.

I have also considered the possibility that when I rebuild my cabin into a home in a few years it might pay to buy a bigger trailer and live in it while the house is being built. If so, being able to tow it would be nice even if I don't do it often.

At the moment it depends in part on Mom's health as she is battling lymphoma. But if she ends up feeling up for camping again, it would be nice to have options. We talked last year about her getting her own trailer but then I realized it made more sense for me to have one that fit us both for the few trips she would make. She doesn't want to back a trailer, anyway. And while the Campster is nice and cozy for a couple, maybe, it isn't too great for two people both used to sleeping alone, plus a few corgis.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Hi Bobbie. We're looking ourselves and I have been doing my research. Here are a couple of things I have found out about the Subaru. The Forester is one of the few remaining SUV's that can be found with a manual transmission and AWD. Almost all others that offer AWD require an automatic be included. It has the next generation engine in the non-turbo model. No more timing belt to replace; it has a chain. Next year the rest of the line up gets this engine. I have found that all the local dealers here are always well stocked including base models. Finally, here is a web site (courtesy of a forum member) that includes lots of information on the Forester that I haven't found anywhere else. Hope everything works out for your mom. Take care. Raz
2012 Subaru Forester- specs, images, details, prices

Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #17

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavArl View Post
Bobbie,

The Forrester is rated 2400lbs, 200lb tongue weight.

The standard Rav4 2012 V6 is 2000lbs, ??? tongue weight

However, with the RAV4 optional towing package and optional radiator etc upgrades Toyota rates it at 3500lbs capacity.
Or you could call Kirk or Andy at Can-Am RV in Toronto and see what they suggest! They have been fitting travel trailers to various tow vehicles for decades.

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #18

Name: Raymond
Trailer: 2011 EggCamper
Ohio
Registry
We have an EggCamper and pull it with a 2011 RAV V6, 4 WD with the factory tow package. Had to have the 7 pin connector and brake controller installed by a local trailer service outfit -- well worth the couple hundred bucks as I'd have scuffed up (or broke) the panels getting them on and off. The Toyota dealer says the larger radiator that comes on the car will suffice in keeping the tranny cooled; no separate cooler needed. We get 12-13 mpg towing (24-26 not towing) at 70 mph through OH, PA, MD, VI -- mountains or flat seems about the same overall. Have to run in 4th as 5th gear jumps back and forth all the time. The motor seems to run about 2800 rpm (I think -- might be a bit more?) and has plenty of power for hills and such. The EggCamper weighs in at about 1800 lbs dry and I run with about a 10-15 gal of fresh water, Yamaha 2000 generator, food, and 180 lbs of dog (2) -- have not weighed it loaded, but when we picked it up in Grand Haven, the run back to the Toledo area with the unit at the factory weight netted about 13 mpg at about 70 mph. We bought the 6 yr, 100,000 mi extended warranty. Have never bought one before, but thought it prudent. BTW -- this is our first camper -- FUN!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
CAN-AM Advice

I hope people take your advice and explore the Can-AM site. They offer intelligent thoughts on tow vehicles under Towing and Hitch Hints.

Their discussion of trailer aerodynamics versus trailer weight is important and under discussed on this site.

I used to tow a stick built trailer that was lighter than my Scamp 16, yet I got worse mileage by 15%. This indicates that the stick built trailer, though lighter, was a tougher load for our tow vehicle due to the stick built trailers poorer aerodynamics.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #20

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Hi all, first post here. I just joined as we are considering getting a small TT soon.

I have a 07 RAV4 V6 AWD with tow package and have towed a 6' wide, 25' long boat with combined weight (boat + trailer) of 2500 lbs. We have gone maybe 5000 miles total visiting boat shows. The RAV has plenty of power, gets about 15 mpg averaging 70 on the interstate, 23 mpg without the trailer.

The side opening back door only opens part way with the trailer on (be sure to tape a bit of foam rubber to the spot on the trailer where the door will hit it). The plus is that there is a sizable under floor storage compartment where "normal" small suvs keep the spare tire. I've had liftgate vehicles where the rear door hit the winch post of the trailer.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #21

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I am pretty sure I am going to stick with the Forester. I will order one as I am picky about color and also want heated seats which nobody stocks with the manual transmission, which I want..another thing I don't like about the Toyota.

I tow really light with my Campster. I don't carry water and don't have a battery. But I could easily tow a light 16 or a loaded 13 if I decided to get another trailer, as long as the new trailer has brakes, so I am not going to worry about going higher.

Thanks for all the opinions, though. Does anyone have the 2011 or 2012 forester with manual? I am interested in what the actual highway and city gas mileage is.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16, 2013 VW Tiguan SEL
Colorado
Makes perfect sense to me, Bobbie. That side-hinged door on the Toyota would be a deal-killer. You'd only be able to open it partially, and you'd only be able to load and unload the trunk from one side. While standing in the rain, which the Forester's top-hinged tailgate would have protected you from.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #23

Florida
I just found out I'm disadvantaged.....

We have a side hinged door and I've never given it a thought. I only load and unload when unhitched except for putting the chocks in, the last thing we do before leaving.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #24

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
On the Ford Escape the hatch window opens separately, which is a huge advantage for everything from towing to accessing cargo, to hauling long items.
If parked fairly straight, the whole hatch can be opened with the Scamp attached.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #25

Florida
Our window opens seperately as well. I do use the feature when hauling lumber.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #26

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Our window opens seperately as well. I do use the feature when hauling lumber.
I especially like the feature when I am hitching or unhitching. I t gives me unobstructed access to things I need in the process.