Ready for likely the not towing minivan? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Ready for likely the not towing minivan?

How to buy a minivan without really trying

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Great! and so true! Personally,I like the Transit, but I want the larger turbo engine and a 6speed manual. Then.... I could actually tow with the thing.
In the mean time, I'll keep my powder dry... or maybe I'll just build my own again.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Sure looks just like a MiniVan to me?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
I think people that have young children should be required to own a minivan or vehicle with rear sliding doors. I know it must suck for the bottoms of their rear doors to be bent from our nerf bars due to their children flinging the door open when entering or exiting. Now the rear door shape of some SUVs make it suck for us to have dents in our doors from the same flailing and flinging that is common practice amongst young people. The longer I think about it, most people should have sliding doors for all entry points. No, all vehicles should have sliding or no doors to alleviate the issue entirely.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Reminds me of when, many years ago, a young family guy who worked for me was looking for a new car. I suggested a station wagon but he said he would never be seen in a station wagon. Eventually he came in and announced that he bought a Jeep Wagoneer - an SUV! The next day he sheepishly showed me the owner's manual, in big print it said "Jeep Wagoneer STATION WAGON." Except for the stigma, I don't know why crossovers aren't just called station wagons since they are based on cars, not trucks like true SUVs.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio View Post
I think people that have young children should be required to own a minivan or vehicle with rear sliding doors. I know it must suck for the bottoms of their rear doors to be bent from our nerf bars due to their children flinging the door open when entering or exiting. Now the rear door shape of some SUVs make it suck for us to have dents in our doors from the same flailing and flinging that is common practice amongst young people. The longer I think about it, most people should have sliding doors for all entry points. No, all vehicles should have sliding or no doors to alleviate the issue entirely.

-John
Heck, why not just make 'em all top entry, like a tank?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Francesca

That's a great idea. Now I have to figure out how to become the ambassador of such a thing .

-John
Old 11-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
That's a great idea. Now I have to figure out how to become the ambassador of such a thing .

-John
Like this:

Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #9

That's just completely wrong... I'd have my Bigfoot in tow, geesh.

-John
Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
That's just completely wrong... I'd have my Bigfoot in tow, geesh.

-John
You do- it's behind your entourage's "hatchtops".
Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Francesca
They already do... it's called a "convertible."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

-John
Many years ago, I worked grocery stores. I can tell you from experience and observation that it is not the children who cause most of the nicks and dings...
I can't tell you how many times I have seen a door pop open and the occupant start to rock back and forth to get the momentum to launch themselves out and upright. This usually takes 3-4 cycles with the door being kicked hard against the car next to it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #13

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Not a Gold Prize!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Now if they would only make this with the larger 4 cylinder Ecoboost or better yet a small diesel, rear wheel drive, adequate tow ratings, and be available with an optional 6 speed manual transmission, I would then say hooray and celebrate a winner. (and run out and buy one)
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #14

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1975 ventura 400 towed by a jeep grand cherokee sometimes, and an ugly 89 dodge truck other times.
Alberta
Registry
Had an argument with a co worker a while back, about his mazda 5 being a minivan. I said "look at the side doors, they slide. minivan. done". He said "noooo, it's not, becuase it's built on a car chassis!".... to which i replied "oh, on a car chassis? so then the caravan, windstar, venture, sienna, and odyssey aren't minivans either?". We don't talk much anymore.
streetvan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #15

Name: Rick
Trailer: In the Market
There are just so many stereotypes that people have about cars they don't own. The ultimate bicycle hauling 25mpg vehicle is my minivan. I disassemble my bike and put it inside. I hate having a nice bike out in the weather and in view of someone who thinks they deserve it more than I do.

Rick
Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #16

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
IMO most think a minivan is for people with kids but it's a great vehicle for OLD people because they're so easy to get into and out of. Biggest problem is that there's so much room for "stuff" that you don't really have to carry around but do anyway.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #17

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
AND...with all but the front seats stowed or removed (as is the case with my 02 Grand Caravan), you can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood completely out of the weather. I love my minivan.

Oh, and I can haul my bike and my kayak at the same time, also inside and out of the weather and out of temptation's way.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Have had two minivans over the years and enjoyed the convenience of both of them. Used a minivan to haul the family across the country, twice. As others have said, they are great for ease of entry. Sliding side doors make it easy to load and unload the kids. I have carried bikes, furniture, large appliances, building supplies and a host of other items in my minivan. I have used it for hauling freshly cut firewood back from the forest with so much weight in the back that the front wheels seemed close to lifting off the pavement. I have slept in the back of the minivan. I have tied three canoes and a weeks worth of camping gear on the roof rack and gone to my paddling trips with it. I have had a queen size mattress and box spring blow off the roof of my minivan and take the rack with it. My 1st minivan suffered from a faulty transmission and is now long gone. I have passed my 2nd minivan onto my middle son, and am not worried that it is so powerful that he will get into trouble with it.

Minivans are great, but my time with them has passed.

dave

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetvan1 View Post
Had an argument with a co worker a while back, about his mazda 5 being a minivan. I said "look at the side doors, they slide. minivan. done". He said "noooo, it's not, becuase it's built on a car chassis!".... to which i replied "oh, on a car chassis? so then the caravan, windstar, venture, sienna, and odyssey aren't minivans either?". We don't talk much anymore.
According to My Husband's Rules of Manliness:
If a man is behind the wheel, it's not a "minivan" except to other men not at that moment forced to be seen driving one.

Francesca
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
We have a Safari mini van. It is not very mini. We have taken it Thousands of miles with five kids. My wife drives it most of the time. I drive a much more manly Pontiac Firefly.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote