real life mpg - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #155

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I am eyeing the Jeep diesel. It should get good mpg both towing and not towing. The Highlander has been springing leaks like an old garden hose, and I am losing confidence in it.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #156

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Denny,

The Honda 1.6 L diesel gets 64% better miles per gallom than the 2 L Honda in the UK, theoretically moving us from 22 to 36 mpg. Considering AZ prices this represents a difference of 40% in fuel costs per mile. In the UK the difference in vehicle costs is less than $100.

It shows what's possible. Driving our typical 25,000 miles per year it would save us over $1000 a year. Though not world shattering, it is significant to those on fixed income.

It would be better gas mileage from a more powerful (in the sense of torque) and in towing capacity.

Fuel costs (and other costs) seem to be an issue on the road. So far we've been on the road about 3 months and have been in only one full campground. Very different from when we first started RVing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #157

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I finally have some real world information to report and did not see a point starting another thread to do so. I had taken a few short trips with my new (old) Scamp but had not been keeping any mileage figures until a week-long, tri-state, last week before school starts, adventure a couple of weeks ago. My old (long since paid for) 2003 F-150 with 4.6 V-8 and 135,000 miles averaged an honest 13.7 mpg for the 700 mile trip. I was hoping for around 14 so am only slightly disappointed but do think I could have improved my mpg by NOT using the cruise control. On the hilly terrain we were going over much of the trip the cruise control kept dropping down a gear or even kicking in the passing gear and running the revs WAY up trying to keep the truck at the same mph while hill climbing. I donít know how much difference an easy foot would have made but suspect I would have been closer to my pre-trip 14 mpg prediction.

As indicated in other threads, it is not worth trading to gain mpg in my tow vehicle. Honestly, I donít plan on going a lot smaller even when I do trade as I like the truck and feel safe and secure towing with it. YMMV.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #158

Florida
Tim,

We're learning about improving MPG all over again now that we have the Odyssey. I have often read how the driver can make a difference.

With our new Odyssey and it's live MPG, accumulated and instantaneous, I can see the difference between Ginny and I as drivers. In around town driving the difference is about 2 MPG. Another property that is very interesting is the effect of stepping on it. It's amazing how quickly it can drop the accumulated MPG. Certainly dropping down and increasing the revs while under cruise must do the same.

I'm not complaining about her driving but do notice. One interesting part of the Odyssey's displays is that they reset every time you fill up.

The fun of life, learning something every day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #159

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Subaru Scamp 13 update

For whatever reason (warmer weather?) our last two trips with a 4 cyl outback and a Scamp 13 resulted in better mileage than our Winter trip. Two Wisconsin only trips of 300 miles saw mileage of 19-20 mpg. Not great, but far better than our Winter trip. Hope it keeps getting better.

John
Old 08-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #160

Name: Tom
Michigan
Subaru Forester / Scamp 13 MPG

On our trip from Chicagoland to Backus, MN (about 560 miles) we averaged 27.4 MPG in our AWD 2011 Subaru Forester with automatic xmsn. (No trailer) I used the cruise control set to 72 mph.

On the return trip pulling the Scamp 13, we averaged 18.3 mpg without the cruise control, driving at 60 mph. The second half of the trip was with the cruise set to 60, and we averaged 17.1 mpg. The second half had some decent hills, and the cruise control down shifted to maintain 60 a couple times.

Tom
Old 08-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #161

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Quebec
CRD Jeep diesel also made in 2007 and 2008. We have a 2008 and very happy towing 5500 lbs. Aprox 13 - 16 US MPG towing
Old 08-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #162

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I just got the forth new letter from a local club member who is semi full time like Norm and Ginny. They travel in an Aliner and pull with a VW Jetta wagon. They recently traded their old 2003(?) in on a 2014. He reports pen and paper figured mpg at 30-34 depending on traffic and terrain.

Jason
Old 08-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #163

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
They travel in an Aliner and pull with a VW Jetta wagon.
That is almost like cheating. Sounds like a neat combo.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #164

Name: Connie
Trailer: 1995 16' Scamp Deluxe
Washington
Honda Pilot mpg

Anyone have any figures on mpg with Honda Pilot pulling a 16 foot fiberglass trailer?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #165

Florida
Pilot Mileage

I can not attest to the Pilot's mileage, but our new Odyssey has the same engine but a different transmission. The Odyssey has a 6 speed and the Pilot has a 5 speed. The Odyssey's 6 speed provides a higher mpg rating with the same engine.

Both vehicles have cylinder management system, meaning that the engine runs on 3, 4 or 6 cylinders depending upon engine load.

We have taken one trip towing with our Odyssey and averaged a little over 19 mpg. This included about equally Interstate and country road driving.
This is less than we got towing with our Honda CRV.

The upside of the Odyssey is that non-towing highway mileage was significantly better than the CRV. We have taken two trips driving mostly Interstate miles and averaged better than 35 mpg. We could not believe it but both trips were calculated mileage and significant distance.

The magic of Honda's cylinder management system is that if you have a light foot and are driving on a highway the mpg gauge spends a lot of time over 40 mpg with the ECO light on. When towing the display rarely shows the ECO mode, meaning most of the time your using 6 cylinders.

For us the ECO mode is truly a magic state our only concern is the more complex engine and its long term effect on reliability.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #166

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
real life mpg

Our 2WD Pilot gets 16-19 mpg with our 13' Standard. I've heard others report low to mid-teens with larger trailers. It depends on so many factors: speed, driving style, hills, wind, altitude, traffic, weather, passenger & cargo load, add-on racks, as well as the trailer weight, shape, and frontal area.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #167

Name: Steve
Trailer: casita 17 SD
Pennsylvania
mpg

On a 5800+ trip west, towing a 16' Casita, we averaged 16.9 towing with a 2012, 4wd pilot.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #168

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
For whatever reason (warmer weather?) our last two trips with a 4 cyl outback and a Scamp 13 resulted in better mileage than our Winter trip. Two Wisconsin only trips of 300 miles saw mileage of 19-20 mpg. Not great, but far better than our Winter trip. Hope it keeps getting better.

John
John I would suggest it was mostly likely wind not warmer weather that impacted the gas milage. Pulling with my Outback I once went a whole three days of driving one winter with an average mpg of only 11 mpg due to wind, while 19 mpg would have been the norm in same area in no wind. I would not have even noticed the wind if I had not seen the mpg read out first & started to look at the trees and shrubs for an indication of wind as the cause. Actually ran a couple of hundred miles with the average down to only 7 mpg while in a serious head wind.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy