real life mpg - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #71

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
MPG with Diesel

Am pulling my 17' Eggcamper with 2011 Chevrolet Silverado Crew cab -Diesel. Best highway, not towing, 55mph, gives me 20-22 with cruise set. Towing the egg at 60,cruise set, gives me 16-18. 16 in the North Carolina Mountains. Never seems to need to downshift, torque is over 700. Allison 6 speed trans, said to be bullet-proof. This is my first diesel. Truck is rated to tow 13,000, so it is obviously never in trailer mode. It does not even seem to know this 2,000 lb. trailer is back there.
I bought the big truck because it seemed to get the same mileage as the compact trucks, but has worlds more room in the cab, plus the full size 6.5 bed. I can carry 2 bikes, 2 - 10' kayaks, Honda 3000 gen. plus other assorted gear in the bed; and seat 4 adults very comfortably inside. This truck is definitely overkill but if I ever decide to step up my egg size, this
will tow anything currently produced without breaking a sweat. Plus it gets about the same mpg as the small trucks if not better. However, the cost of diesel fuel is more. Doing the math, slightly better mpg, more expensive fuel, it probably all works out to be the same as having a smaller truck running on regular. Finally, there is the cost difference of this size vehicle. They say I should get 300,000 miles from this engine, I'm 62, this may be my last truck. I drive a Honda Civic as a daily driver. I do however feel extremely safe when traveling with the truck and egg.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #72

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I'm beginning to think that Hondas are particularly good at maintaining fuel economy while towing. Hmm, maybe I should look more closely at the Odyssey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
There are plenty of people who tow with the Odyssey.
Yes, lots tow with Odysseys, just as lots tow with other similar vehicles such as Siennas and Grand Caravans. I haven't noticed that the Odysseys report any better fuel economy - both Nate's Civic and Norm's CR-V are unrelated to (and smaller than) the Odyssey.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #73

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wayne, I looked up the cost of your Chevy Diesel. Yikes. Well out of my price range. Wish you well with it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #74

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Pulling a 2500lbs (total weight) 16' with a Subaru Outback. On longer trips on various roads, freeway, large mountain passes and two lane side roads etc I generally average about 19 mpg (yup thats US Gallons) for the whole trip while towing - I generally travel at 65 mph on freeways and passes etc. Have had some trips of shorter duration were I have stayed off freeways and used secondary roads were speed limits were 55 mph or less & averaged 21 mpg.

The worst mpg average I have had on any trip was traveling on the west coast I5 in the winter and I only averaged 11 mpg over 3 straight 8/9 hour days of driving, due to a *big* head wind for a better part of the trip. For many miles of that trip the cars computer was saying it was getting only 7 mpg.

Lots of variables regarding what MPG's you might get when towing.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #75

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
We have a 2008 Honda CRV/2wd/automatic and, with very careful driving, a max towing speed of 55-60 and locking out the o/d we have barely bumped up against 19 mpg when towing either the 13' Scamp or the 13' Lil' Bigfoot. That's about a 35% hit vs day-to-day driving.

I don't believe that later U.S. market CRV's are/were available with a manual transmission
Old 09-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #76

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Guess we'll have to be very careful to not run out and buy just any CRV.

jack
Old 09-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #77

Florida
Unfortunately the manual transmission is no longer available in the USA.

Bob, what pressure do you inflate your CRV and trailer tires to?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #78

Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
MPG with Diesel

Norm,
Thanks for the good wishes. My 27 year old special needs daughter and I are leaving Florida the middle of next week on a trip to Oregon and then down the west coast. Will be by far the longest trip yet.

I should also mention that I pull a 26' boat with my truck. So, it was not purchased just for towing the egg.
I'm encouraging my 29 year old daughter to look at the CRV. She is in the market. I plan to encourage her to install a receiver hitch. Very handy for bikes and a small trailer for moving. Glad to hear about yours giving you such good service.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #79

Florida
Have a great trip. Oregon is our favorite state. Love the coast and Crater Lake.
Safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #80

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Have a great trip. Oregon is our favorite state. Love the coast and Crater Lake.
Safe travels
Hmmm. Your favorite spots are the west coast of the US, and east coast of Canada. Norm, I think you like the ocean!

Have you ever considered a boat? Lots in common with a trailer.

And to keep it on topic: Sail boats can have very good fuel economy.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #81

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Hmmm. Your favorite spots are the west coast of the US, and east coast of Canada. Norm, I think you like the ocean!

Have you ever considered a boat? Lots in common with a trailer.

And to keep it on topic: Sail boats can have very good fuel economy.
A couple of years ago we spent a very stormy night camping in a Safeway grocery store parking lot about an hour north of the Golden Gate bridge. When we woke up the next morning there was a retired Canadian couple parked alongside us with a newer diesel pickup and 26 ft sail boat.

We inspected each others' rigs then had breakfast together nearby. They were headed to the Gulf coast for a winter of sailing and relaxation -- we on our way home. While there are similarities, there are also a lot of differences between cruising sailboats and Scamps.

One thing very apparent was the high quality of the boats fixtures and appliances. Since then I have replaced my stove, furnace and toilet with yacht quality. It's expensive, but oh is it nice!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #82

Florida
David I have considered a boat, Ginny likes solid ground under her feet.

Oregon 's coast has the ocean and mountains plus a small town ruralness, not like Newfoundland but similar

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #83
MC1

Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
We live a short 5 min bike ride from Port Dalhousie Marina. We see and hear the stories of expense, and maintainance.

We camp where there are trees. Not many trees out on the water. No boating for us.
Attached Thumbnails
port dal 1.jpg   port dal 2.jpg  

Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #84

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Unfortunately the manual transmission is no longer available in the USA.

Bob, what pressure do you inflate your CRV and trailer tires to?

Usually to the maximum pressure shown on the sidewall.....Currently 36 (TV) and 50 (Trailer) I believe.

Tags
lil snoozy