Real Weight of 2016 Scamp 13’ Std. Layout 2 and Option Ideas if placing Factory Order - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #1

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Real Weight of 2016 Scamp 13’ Std. Layout 2 and Option Ideas if placing Factory Order

I’ve been lurking on this forum since October, reading posts going back years and years, and want to say “THANK YOU!!!” for all the wonderful information. Wanting to reciprocate, very concerned about SAFETY and knowing that trailer weight is a Hot Topic, I chose to take my brand new Scamp 13’ to the Certified Public Scale at Cadman in Redmond, WA. This scale reads in 20 lb. increments. My Scamp 13’ Std. Layout 2 w/front bath weighs 1500 lbs.; I also found I had 220 pounds on the tongue, as it was 1280 lb. when hitched to the TV. There were no added items in the trailer; it was 'as picked up from factory' condition.

13’ Std. Layout 2 w/front bath including the following was onboard:
Shower and marine toilet
Atwood 6 gal. gas hot water heater
PREP ONLY for Roof Air Conditioning (Scamp will do this for NO additional charge!)
1.9cf 3-way fridge
16M BTU furnace with blower & thermostat (NEW digital thermostat – Very Nice!)
Series 27 battery
Electric brakes on trailer
Screen door
12” x 18” Clear window above Range
Two rear side cabinets (NO front or rear cabinet)
3-speed Fantastic Fan
Vinyl flooring
Outside GFI 110V Outlet
1 Filled Propane Tank
Extra lights – reading light on each rear side cabinet
2nd Door in closet (this is the small door which opens to the wheel well)
Extra Outlets – two 12V and one 110V (NOTE: NO 12V outlet is included as standard!)
Bathroom now comes with small roof fan; no window, no gravel shield

Here’s what I declined and is NOT onboard:
Curtains
Curtain Rods
Sewer Hose
Sewer Hose Tube
No Escape Hatch, as I chose to have the Air Conditioning Prep instead.
Not significant in weight, but I also chose NO decals nor pinstripes inside and outside.

ALSO, I hope the above lists might help a new Scamp purchaser with option ideas. I am VERY thankful for all the info I read before finalizing my Scamp build. One thing I’d now add to the ‘DECLINE’ list: unless it is structural, which I don’t think it is, I would NOT have the clothes rod installed in the closet. It’s another rivet on the outside, and the rod is oriented front to back.

PS: I’ve already removed the dinette table and all mounting brackets - 28 lbs.! Pics and info later…
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2152.JPG  
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Neato Ann, that's nice of you to add this to the important information category! And I get to see your trailer in person at Spring NOG
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:11 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
A well equipped Scamp 13 Ann! Well done. Everything you need and nothing you don't. And you were wise to have the A/C prep done even without A/C. Options are good!

Remember that when you fill the freshwater tank and water heater, you'll be adding some 150lbs (18 gals at 8lbs/gal of water.) The gray and black tank levels add to that, of course.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

Name: Christine
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
Perfect timing! My husband and I just received the Scamp catalog yesterday and we were discussing what options we would like to add to a Std. 13' Scamp. Such terrific and helpful information! I have a few questions 'tho if you don't mind. We were wondering why you did not get the a/c installed, is it an easy project for the owner to do? Also we would prefer not to have the dinette table and was wondering if the company would work with us to make the 2 bench seats into 2 sofas that can be slept on. We are so grateful for your weight information as well! Thank you!
canragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Christine, I'll let Ann share her experience with you about her interaction with the factory, but I don't think that you'll be able to turn a Scamp 13 into something with side twins.

As a veteran of owning five Scamps over the years, the dinette is something less than 4' deep in the Standard, and only a few inches over 4' (IIRC) in the Deluxe models, and they cannot be made longer. Remember that in 13' trailer (13' bumper to ball, 10' cabin length,) if you have twin beds running north-south at 76" long, you'll only have 3 1/2' of trailer at the end of the bunks... barely room for a door.

You're pretty much stuck sleeping on the dinette east-west in a Scamp 13, although it is possible to make a bed extension into the "kitchen." that would give you perhaps 18" more in a north-south orientation, but that can't add any length to the fiberglass support tubs for the dinette cushions.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #6

Name: Christine
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
Thanks Roger for your advice, much appreciated. To be honest we have never stepped foot inside a Scamp. Just can't find one to look at! So we are relying on the photos on the internet and advice from this forum. All we know is that we want a small fiberglass trailer that we can tow with our Subaru Outback. Our Scamp education is just beginning and we are so grateful for everyone sharing their knowledge.
canragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

Washington
Hi Christine,
Roger explained the dinette/sofa question perfectly.
Several reasons I didn't add the a/c:
1. Weight; I was quoted 100#.
2. I don't like the appearance/lines of the Scamp with the large unit on the roof. Same thing with the awning (appearance and 50#).
3. If it's hot, I'll be driving north!
I had the a/c build-up done mostly for resale value, and was told that an RV Service Center could easily make the install. Owner install - depends on your experience and expertise.

The first Scamp I stepped foot inside was mine when I picked it up at the factory!! Your salesman will let you know of available Scamps in your area to take a look at. I penciled in measurements on one of the layout drawings, and referred to this often, as the photos can be quite deceiving! I cannot say enough good words about the people sharing their knowledge and experiences on this forum!
Old 03-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #8

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by canragu View Post
Thanks Roger for your advice, much appreciated. To be honest we have never stepped foot inside a Scamp. Just can't find one to look at! So we are relying on the photos on the internet and advice from this forum. All we know is that we want a small fiberglass trailer that we can tow with our Subaru Outback. Our Scamp education is just beginning and we are so grateful for everyone sharing their knowledge.
That's step ONE. Get inside a 13 Scamp at your earliest convenience.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #9

Name: JAMES
Trailer: SCAMP
New Hampshire
Just got my new Scamp 13 w/shwr/toilet and rear side cabs and I am thrilled! I am completely satisfied! It is so well designed and comfortable beyond anything I could have expected. I had bought it after much research and actually without actually seeing one in front of me. I did not order air, htr, nor awning. I have a polonis cube heater that heats it completely within several minutes. I filled it with water and took it out for a pull with my 6cyl ford freestyle thru some very hilly country roads and towing was a breeze. No stress on any hills. I had no need for extention mirrors. Also backing into position was very easy. Everyone who has looked it over was amazed at how comfortable, roomy and how much was actually in this unit. All in all I am a very satisfied customer and highly recommend this product.
polskasila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Trailer weights vary considerably. It's quite difficult to predict what you would weigh. Therefore for range of weights go Trailer Weights in the Real World. It's one this site.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13' front bath
California
real weight 2016 Scamp 13

Ann:

I'm a little late getting on this thread. I'm picking up my std. Scamp 13 with front bath same as yours, but with AC and awning. It will also have dual propane tanks. I just got off the phone with Scamp and they agree with your total weight of 1500 lbs., but say the tongue weight should only be about 160 lbs. Any suggestions why the discrepancy of about 60 lbs.

If the tongue weight is as you say, I'm going to have to think of cutting down some tongue weight. I'm going to be towing this with a 2014 Ford Escape 2L with tow package, two people plus an 80 lb. dog. Hitch weight max 350Lbs.
robt-the-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #12

Washington
When I was at the factory I asked about weighing; they don’t have scales and best to see that the trailer is level.

Why so tongue heavy? I can speculate: Front of the axle: Group 27 battery, one full propane tank, jack and tongue, toilet and fridge. Behind axle: water heater, rear bumper and spare tire. So probably heavier in front of the axle. I was not able to check the weight on each trailer wheel as the scale had railings along both sides, but I do hope to check that sometime, as it would seem the side with all the appliances would be heavier. I just want to be safe for me and the others on the road! I think distribution of gear for most people can help take care of this. When I weighed it, I had NO personal items in the trailer, so there wasn’t anything I could easily move around to distribute the weight differently. I got the 13’ so I wouldn’t go over 1500 lbs., so this now means I carry everything in the tow rig (I have the two back seats removed). I’ve removed the 28 lb. dinette table and replaced it with 3 lb. of plywood and a portable plastic table. Of course, that’s behind the axle! I haven’t removed the bathroom door to see how much weight that would save, but what else can I remove?! I don’t want to have the battery inside, so may need to relocate and rewire to the rear. I’m not sure how safe it would be to relocate the propane tank to the rear in case of a rear-end accident. So I’m up for ideas, please.

I LOVE my Scamp! I’ve already changed out the light bulbs to LED, started to wax (Meguiar’s Pure Wax 56), had a memorable 1550-mile trip, and will have many more!
Old 03-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by canragu View Post
We are next door in Illinois, welcome to tour ours anytime.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #14

California
Scamp 13 weight

Thanks for the input. I might go with one propane tank to keep the tongue weight down.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #15

Name: Carlotta
Trailer: Scamp 13
Rhode Island
Hi, I just joined and this thread has been so helpful! I got my scamp 13 delivered last July because I was worried about towing first time such a long way and also because my dogs were having mobility issues getting in and out of my jeep. I just traded that for a minivan. They can get in and out easily now and it has a higher towing capacity. My scamp has the bathroom and the Roof AC and the awning and I'd just assumed it weighed around 1300 pounds. I know, 'assumed'! Thank you for this very helpful information. I guess I better go get mine weighed.
Lotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #16

Washington
Hi Carlotta! It's nice that the Scamp 13' is a short step up for many dogs. My dog used a ramp for the past year to get in and out of the RAV4, but happily jumped into the Scamp on her own! Hope you make many happy Scamping memories.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #17

California
Hi, Ladies:

I'll be picking up my standard Scamp 13 next month. It will be loaded as Carlotta's is with AC, awning and front bath. I spoke with David Smith of Scamps, and he indicates the dry weight will be 1600 lbs. and tongue weight will be 170 lbs. Have fun!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #18

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by robt-the-red View Post
Hi, Ladies:

I'll be picking up my standard Scamp 13 next month. It will be loaded as Carlotta's is with AC, awning and front bath. I spoke with David Smith of Scamps, and he indicates the dry weight will be 1600 lbs. and tongue weight will be 170 lbs. Have fun!
Congrats on your new Scamp. Even money that the weights quoted you are off by a reasonable amount. Weigh it for yourself on the way home from Backus. Then, weigh it again when loaded with your gear. You might see that to which I refer as the factory understating the weight.

But anyhow, enjoy and take care.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Trailer Weights...

If you haven't weighed it yet this is a good place to start. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Knowing what mine without bath and AC I think your weight would be much closer to 2,000lbs than 1300lbs.

Mine weighs around 1700 lbs loaded for camping.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:08 AM   #20

Washington
Update to Post #1

In Post #1 of this thread I commented on the clothes rod in the closet of the 13'. Today I found out the rod is not a structural piece; so if you want one less thru-hull rivet in your new SCAMP, ask that the clothes rod not be installed.

Tags
scamp, weight