Realistic RV for 2001 Ford Windstar - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
You may have the towing package even though there is no hitch on the vehicle. I searched all over the midwest to find a Town and Country with the tow package. I would email all these people and they would say that it had the tow package even though it didn't, they only thought that because it had a hitch. On our 2001 Town and Country the tow package consists of a larger radiator, self-leveling suspension, full size spare tire and the wiring for the trailer. It DID NOT include the actual hitch and I know it has the towing package because the guy still had the dealer sticker from it. It might pay to do some research on your vehicle as it may have it even if it doesn't have an actual hitch yet. Good luck!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #16

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Don't count out Uhauls due to weight. My Uhaul weighed in on the trailer scales at 950lbs without propane tank, furnace, and swamp cooler. So it is comparable with the other lightweight 13 footers, even with the beefed up frame.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #17

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Pam,

Did that include the tongue weight? (Just wondering as I was thinking perhaps not if you were still hitched up and weighed the axle.)

OTOH, I'm sure that cartridge propane bracket on the U-haul would have been worth 100# That thing is a monster!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #18

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
You are right, Raya, it did not include tongue weight. Normally, they're in the 100-200# range on these little trailers, so still not outrageously heavy.
BTW, I tow with a 2006 Town & Country rated at 1800# without a problem. BUT I keep my loads light, and camp alone.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #19

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks for that information, Pam. That tells me that U-haul's weight spec of 1250# is probably close to true, given that you did not have a propane tank or battery aboard.

I'm thinking like this:

Trailer ----------------------950#
Tongue weight --------- ~ 130#
20# propane tank, full -- ~35#
One Group 27 battery -- ~ 65#
Water tank empty ------- ~ 0#

Given that one doesn't usually travel with an empty propane tank, or remove the battery, I will keep those weights in the total. Since you can travel fairly easily with an empty water tank, I'll leave that at Zero (U-hauls are designed to have a battery aboard and there is a spot with an overboard vent for it under the rear bench).

So, I come out with an "empty" (i.e. no camping gear) weight of 1180# Given that there is a fudge factor, I would say that U-haul's rated weight of 1250# for an "empty" trailer is right on the money.

Raya
Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
West Virginia
Mel, when we were car shopping for a minivan for our daughter, I seem to recall my brother-in-law (engr. Ford Motor Co.) saying that Windstars and early Freestar vans had transmission issues that usually occurred in the neighborhood of 90-100K miles. Which transmission/engine combo or what years...I have no clue. May want to Google customer/owner reviews on your Windstar to find if this pertains to your model.

Good luck,
Mike in WV
Old 07-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Mel, when we were car shopping for a minivan for our daughter, I seem to recall my brother-in-law (engr. Ford Motor Co.) saying that Windstars and early Freestar vans had transmission issues that usually occurred in the neighborhood of 90-100K miles. Which transmission/engine combo or what years...I have no clue. May want to Google customer/owner reviews on your Windstar to find if this pertains to your model.

Good luck,
Mike in WV
My '96 Windstar had a catastrophic transmission fluid loss at about 140K miles. It killed the tranny. I sold the van for $250 since the repair would have cost more than the van was worth at that point in time. But otherwise it was a decent tow vehicle, and I towed 2000 to 2500 lbs with it. I had added a transmission cooler for towing.

Most 13' to 16' eggs don't put up much wind resistance, compared to boxy trailers, and will tow pretty well behind the Windstar. I think you would be ok with almost any 13, and even with most 16s. But you would want to lock out OD and even shift down & slow down on steep grades.

In the mid '80s I towed a 13' Uhaul egg a couple thousand miles with a 2.2L Dodge Omni. So don't despair over your Windstar! There are plenty of eggs it can tow.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote