Rear wheel drive vs 4x4 pickup truck? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-23-2016, 11:01 PM   #15

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I've towed thousands of miles with a four wheel drive truck. Only 3 times have I engaged the front axle. Twice, I was on gravel roads that turned to mud, and once, we got caught in an ice storm. In each case, I really was thankful for the transfer case. I really find it hard to justify for so few times of use, but the additional cost of the four wheel drive has been more than repaid at trade in time.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:44 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I'm with you, Carol! AWD rules!

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:27 AM   #17

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
The first time you get stuck or can't" back up that gravel hill you will wish you had got the 4WD. The truck will not only be more competent but you will recover the extra cost at trade in time.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #18

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
4wd is great. Really great. But not necessary. Yes it'll be easier to get stuck. Not having 4wd means you have to be smarter about how you drive. I had a Toyota Chinook - 2wd Toyota pickup with an RV built on the back. It got me some places...

V6, however, for a 13ft camper, is definitely not necessary. Nice, yes, but definitely not necessary. I'd tell you to get 4wd before I'd tell you to definitely get a V6. My Chinook was 2wd, 4 cylinder. A little 1978 2.2L 96hp engine. Never let me down.

Ideally a 4x4 V6 is the vehicle you want. But you'd be ok without either.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2193.jpg   IMG_2078.jpg  

IMG_2061.jpg   IMG_2809.jpg  

Old 02-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #19

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
I absolutely would not have a 4x4. Between maintenance and gas mileage, I think it is a waste. My limited slip does great anywhere including pulling.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #20

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
Please don't confuse NEED with WANT. A few years ago when I decided that I wanted a new truck, I stopped by a dealer and asked to buy a 1 ton 4x4 diesel (GMC K3500). He said "What do you need the truck for?" I replied "I don't need a new truck. I just want a new truck." He said "Well then I won't sell you one." After explaining what I wanted to a different dealer, he said "What do you need the truck to do?" I replied "What ever I want!" Now a few years later, when we bought a new 17' Casita SD, I had no concern about trailer or tongue weight (550 lbs with OMW platform and Yamaha 2400 generator), or access to boondocking sites. (I have had 2 wd pickup immobile on wet grass; never again!) With an 8 ft bed, we have plenty of room for Clam shelter, Folbot folding kayak, camping stove, extra propane tank, bicycles, firewood, and more. Truck gets about 18 mpg empty, and 16 mpg towing. Off-road is fun. More truck can often be better.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
4 Wheel Drive and/or All Wheel Drive is by far the BEST option you can buy on any new or used vehicle IF it's available from a VEHICLE RESALE VALUE standpoint when it comes time to re-sell your truck, SUV or car. And you will at some point re-sell your truck, SUV or car.

All you have to do is frequent the dealer auctions such as Manheim or your local yocal auto auction as I do (Licensed Dealer) to see this fact. 4WD or AWD typically only adds $2K to the purchase price of most any new Truck. The wholesale price different between the same make/model truck with 4WD/AWD and and a 2WD rarely if ever is less than the retail window sticker price of the 4WD option when new. There are many trucks where the USED price difference between a 4WD/AWD truck and the exact same truck with 2WD can be worth as much as 20%-40% LESS for the 2WD truck which is far more than the original cost of the 4WD/AWD option when new!

The fact is that 4WD/AWD has become a much larger part of the new/used truck market. Prices can fluctuate even more so depending upon where you live in the USA. It's tough tell sell a 2WD drive truck in Montana where that same 2WD truck will sell in Tennessee. This market trend can also be very regional. Move outside from most any major metropolitan area by just 35-50 miles to the "country" and a 2WD truck can be a very tough sell!

Example:

In Nashville it's no problem to sell a NONE 4WD/AWD truck. Move 30 miles outside Nashville and the used car dealers will not buy for resale at auction a 2WD truck unless it's CHEAP! Why? Hard to sell! The country folks "think" they must have 4WD. In reality do they really need 4WD? Hell NO! However they "THINK" they need 4WD and therefore that is all they will buy. We haven't even spoken about all the young truck buyers that must have a "Diesel 4WD truck". Same can be said for the new car store car lots out in the country particularly when it comes to trucks. Lot's of 4WD trucks on the lots with just a few 2WD trucks.

2WD truck trades?

Sure I will take 2WD truck in on trade. I also take these same 2WD trucks directly to the Manheim wholesale auction in Nashville where these same 2WD trucks will bring "Mo Money" WHOLESALE than we can sell them for RETAIL on our lot out in the country.

Does this all mean that everyone should buy 4WD/AWD in their truck?

Heavens NO!

Just remember that there is no single other option available on any new truck that will return more of your original expenditure on that option than 4WD/AWD. This difference can be even greater on the used truck market!

This is just another consideration you should think about when buying a new to you Truck. My point is nothing more than that.

Given the number of new trucks and even more so new cars and SUV's offered by the manufacturer's with AWD I only see this price difference on the resale market between 2WD and 4WD/AWD continuing to become even greater.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #22

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
I hear that a good definition of a 4x4 is a vehicle that gets stuck farther off the road. Some of y'all are way oversold on a 4x4.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #23

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
I tow with a 1999 Silverado 2 wheel drive. Pulls the trailer just fine in summer. When there is 4" of snow on the roads, without the trailer, then not so good.(to light in the back end)
95% time no 4WD needed
5% time 4WD needed (IF I had it)
Old 02-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #24

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
I tow with a 1999 Silverado 2 wheel drive. Pulls the trailer just fine in summer. When there is 4" of snow on the roads, without the trailer, then not so good.(to light in the back end)
95% time no 4WD needed
5% time 4WD needed (IF I had it)
And that's kind of the deal. You can get away without 4wd, but you have to be a lot smarter about how you drive, and have a little luck thrown in there.

My truck, for example, has a locking rear differential. I've used it once. Had I not had it, I would have needed someone to hook up a tow rope and pull me out. So no, I don't need the locking diff. But it sure was nice that one time...

4wd on some levels is the same way. You might only "need" 4wd 5-10% of the time. But if you need it, you need it...And especially in places where there is snow, it's really, really nice.

I'd say there is a very small percentage of the population who really just couldn't do what they do without 4wd. I've been part of that at times, though not so much anymore. The rest of us just need to make a call based on our own personal comfort level, as to whether we want the extra security of 4wd.

It can be the difference between getting down a certain road or not. But do you need to go down that road? It can be the difference between getting out of slick/gravelly spot on your own, or waiting for someone to come along and pull you out. Either way, chances are, you're getting out.

The cost of 4wd system maintenance always comes up, and it's not a myth, but I don't know...I mean you could say the same for having a truck vs a car. And even for having any automobile at all. Not having one means thousands and thousands of dollars you don't spend.

On top of the actual cost of owning any automobile at all, the "extra" cost of 4wd on top of that is fairly small in the scope of things.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cantrell View Post
I hear that a good definition of a 4x4 is a vehicle that gets stuck farther off the road. Some of y'all are way oversold on a 4x4.
could not agree more especially when its a Truck! And it can happen more often than not while even on the main road or at least that has been my observation while traveling on the Canada's Hwy 1 in the winter.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #26

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
My dad bought a brand new Dodge Ram 2wd back in 04. He was cheap and didn't want pony up the extra $$$ for a 4x4, he regrets that decision to this day. I've had to pull him out of his yard 3 times already with my 4x4 Toyota because his rear wheels were spinning on wet grass. Wet grass, not mud! And his tires aren't bald. He works security at a hospital at night. When it snows i either have to drive him to work & back in one of my Toyota 4x4's or lend him one (i own 3) until the roads are cleared. Trade in value & resale value is so low that he feels like he's stuck with it.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #27

Name: BigT
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Hello;
My spouse and I, have towed 25 foot 5th wheels and then a 16 foot Boler with a 2 wheel drive V6 Nissan Frontier. Now we pull a 13 foot Boler with a 4L 2 wheel drive Ford Ranger and a 4 cyl front wheel drive Chev. Cavalier convert. without any problem. I can see having 4 wheel drive if you are pulling in snow or maybe on rougher terrain, but across Canada I can't see needing 4 wheel drive for the most part. However, most vehicles allow you to switch out to 2 wheel drive when you don't need it.
Many experts recommend the shortest distance from the rear wheels to the hitch which often is not a pickup truck but rather a sedan or Suv.
The shorter the overhang, the greater the stability when towing.
All the best,
Big T
Old 02-24-2016, 07:27 PM   #28

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I had a Toyota Chinook - 2wd Toyota pickup with an RV built on the back. It got me some places...
Where did you take those pictures? Look like places I would like to add to my list.