Rear wheel drive vs 4x4 pickup truck? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #1

Name: Angela
Trailer: Boler
nova scotia
Rear wheel drive vs 4x4 pickup truck?

I'm losing my mind trying to figure out a towing vehicle.

I own a 13 foot Boler and am looking for a truck, as mentioned in the title. I was told by someone to buy a 4x4 but someone else told me a rear wheel drive is fine, and actually tows better. 4x4 trucks are more expensive and less plentiful so I'd love if that were true. My plan is to go across Canada with most time spent in BC so I know it needs to be a V6 vehicle, even if it doesn't end up being a pickup. I also want to be able to tow to more remote places and do some boondocking.

Could anyone weigh in on this for me?
Much appreciated!
BarterBoler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
You have to ask yourself is the initial cost and loss of MPG worth the ability to go boondocking on occasion . I own a 4 wheel drive truck but have only used the 4 wheel drive to go through the snow in winter never when towing my trailer.

* Note - When I bought my truck the 4 wheel drive truck was cheaper than the 2 wheel drive truck .*
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It costs more to insure a 4x4 too at least where I live.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My tow is a Nissan Frontier 4wd pickup. I live in snow country but I don't drive the pick up in the winter. Frankly you can't sell a 2wd pickup here. No one wants them. That said, the 4wd allows for extra traction and lower gearing, nice to have when towing up hill in sand, mud or loose gravel. If I lived further south, I would probably own a 2wd with limited slip/traction control. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #5

nova scotia
Well, I didn't know about the insurance part either!

So the weight from the Boler on the hitch must help with a rwd then? There's no worries about spinning out in mud?
Old 02-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #6

nova scotia
Yeah, I'm in the north Raz. This is my concern with possible snow and also mud in British Columbia.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I tow with a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 but honestly do not need the 4X4 feature very often. I do travel some BLM and forest service roads where 4X4 is handy and I'm more comfortable going into areas that I would probably stay out of if I did not have a 4X4. Do you need it ??? If you never leave improved road, the answer is no but I really like it and will probably always have 4X4 .It does cost more to buy and maintain but resale is better. Hope his helps.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #8

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I tow with a 4x4 some of the places I go I could not get into with out it.
You know what they say about 4 wheel drive. They designed it so you could get stuck farther out in the woods!......LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #9

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
You would not know that two wheel drive trucks existed in this part of Minnesota!
Old 02-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
You would not know that two wheel drive trucks existed in this part of Minnesota!
When we went to buy our truck ,we went to two of the largest Ram dealers in the Twin Cities . Out of 400 hundred trucks they had on their lots only 4 were 2 wheel drive and they were stripped down models . Plus my old truck was 2 wheel drive and I had to almost pay someone to take it off my hands.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #11

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
We are perfectly happy with our 2wd F150 towing a classic Escape 5.0. We don't go to places where we would need 4x4 and most of our winter we are south but when home drive our fwd car with snows.

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarterBoler View Post
Well, I didn't know about the insurance part either!

So the weight from the Boler on the hitch must help with a rwd then? There's no worries about spinning out in mud?
Hitch weight is like any weight on the back of a pickup; it does add some traction.

With most 4WD systems, you only shift into 4WD when on slippery surfaces (or else the drive line can bind when going around curves or turning on dry pavement). Mostly the 4WD is used at slower speeds in more seriously bad traction conditions. You have to think about how often your driving/camping style is likely to put you in those situations. That will help you decide how important 4WD is to you. That equation will be different for everyone.

If you've ever driven a 2WD pickup on a slick or loose surface, you've probably experienced how easily a rear tire can lose traction. Some folks throw hay bales or sand bags or whatnot in the bed during winter. That helps, but it's not a cure-all. Next step up is 2WD with limited slip rear differential; this can be a big help. Next step after that is 4WD... and even the best 4WD system can get stuck if conditions are extreme enough (like when you bottom out on snow).

I am fond of the full-time 4WD or AWD (all wheel drive) vehicles, which do not bind (there's no locking action in the differentials) and which are always applying some force to both front and rear axles. I feel like they give an added measure of sure-footed-ness to the vehicle on any surface. But they don't put such a system on many pickups. I think maybe the Honda Ridgeline has it available... not sure. But that's just my preference. My Toyota Highlander and Mercury Mountaineer SUVs have this system, and now I also have a Lexus GX460 which is full time 4WD plus I can shift it into low range and/or engage a differential lock for added assistance in toughest circumstances. And we don't usually get much snow in Oklahoma! Yet when we do, I drive around while everyone else is digging and spinning... so there ya go.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarterBoler View Post
Yeah, I'm in the north Raz. This is my concern with possible snow and also mud in British Columbia.
I currently tow with a Nissan Frontier 4x4 but have also pulled with a smaller SUV cross over vehicle. But even though I have been in a lot of back country camping spots both north and well south for about 9/10 months of the year, I have never had the truck in 4x4 when towing.

Only time the 4x4 is used is in the snow which I avoid when towing with it - mostly traveling in the interior and the rockies each winter without the trailer and to be brutally honest - it sucks in the snow!! Just as most trucks do, as they are light in the back end.

As your in BC I am sure you have noticed that the majority of trucks on the road are 4x4's. Have a friend that once bought a 2 wheel drive truck to pull a 5th wheel and they had a REAL tough time selling it and took a big hit on price when they finally did. As others have said the insurance for a 4x4 is higher, as are maintenance costs and unless you get a one of the new trucks with the eco boost or similar you are not going to get great MPG's either.

If you have no other reason for owning a truck and as you are wanting to pull only a 13' and as your in BC you probable want something that is good in the snow in the winter months when not towing ..... as such I would highly recommend finding a cross over to pull the trailer with. All wheel drive even better, it will trump a truck in snow conditions and have no problems pulling a trailer out of a muddy camp site & through the occasional snow storm. I have towed with an all wheel drive cross over in the snow and it did just fine. You will save on insurance, maintenance costs and gas. As most of the SUV cross over type vehicles typically have a bit more of their total weight over the rear axle than trucks do you may even find as I did that you get a more solid/stable tow in all towing conditions as well.

I know my comments are not going to make the truck crowd overly happy but its a reflection of my experience in having driven & towed with trucks in the past and currently, as well as having driven and towed with a small SUV cross over.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:53 PM   #14

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
I tow with my 4x4 tacoma. I wouldn't own a 2wd truck. When it comes to 4x4's, "It's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it."
Old 02-23-2016, 11:01 PM   #15

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I've towed thousands of miles with a four wheel drive truck. Only 3 times have I engaged the front axle. Twice, I was on gravel roads that turned to mud, and once, we got caught in an ice storm. In each case, I really was thankful for the transfer case. I really find it hard to justify for so few times of use, but the additional cost of the four wheel drive has been more than repaid at trade in time.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I'm with you, Carol! AWD rules!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:27 AM   #17

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
The first time you get stuck or can't" back up that gravel hill you will wish you had got the 4WD. The truck will not only be more competent but you will recover the extra cost at trade in time.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #18

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
4wd is great. Really great. But not necessary. Yes it'll be easier to get stuck. Not having 4wd means you have to be smarter about how you drive. I had a Toyota Chinook - 2wd Toyota pickup with an RV built on the back. It got me some places...

V6, however, for a 13ft camper, is definitely not necessary. Nice, yes, but definitely not necessary. I'd tell you to get 4wd before I'd tell you to definitely get a V6. My Chinook was 2wd, 4 cylinder. A little 1978 2.2L 96hp engine. Never let me down.

Ideally a 4x4 V6 is the vehicle you want. But you'd be ok without either.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2193.jpg   IMG_2078.jpg  

IMG_2061.jpg   IMG_2809.jpg  

ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #19

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
I absolutely would not have a 4x4. Between maintenance and gas mileage, I think it is a waste. My limited slip does great anywhere including pulling.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #20

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
Please don't confuse NEED with WANT. A few years ago when I decided that I wanted a new truck, I stopped by a dealer and asked to buy a 1 ton 4x4 diesel (GMC K3500). He said "What do you need the truck for?" I replied "I don't need a new truck. I just want a new truck." He said "Well then I won't sell you one." After explaining what I wanted to a different dealer, he said "What do you need the truck to do?" I replied "What ever I want!" Now a few years later, when we bought a new 17' Casita SD, I had no concern about trailer or tongue weight (550 lbs with OMW platform and Yamaha 2400 generator), or access to boondocking sites. (I have had 2 wd pickup immobile on wet grass; never again!) With an 8 ft bed, we have plenty of room for Clam shelter, Folbot folding kayak, camping stove, extra propane tank, bicycles, firewood, and more. Truck gets about 18 mpg empty, and 16 mpg towing. Off-road is fun. More truck can often be better.
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote