Receiver Hitch Recommendations - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Greg H's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Never heard of one breaking. The six I have are in perfect shape. Granted, the oldest is only 16 years old.

I have a friend who's Reese hitch broke, though.
Why would you have six receiver hitches? Well I guess you could if you had as many vehicles as I do, I guess I have about 5 receiver hitches a 5th wheel and a Goose neck hitch and none of them have broken either.
__________________

__________________
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Hi, Ashley

I had my receiver hitch installed at U-Haul thinking that since they have stores everywhere, it would be easier to get any potential problems taken care of.
I've been very satisfied with the (remarkably inexpensive) job they did, and have had no problems whatsoever with the hitch.
I do check the torque on the bolts periodically as ordinary maintenance.

As a side note, I heartily recommend U-Haul's Select-a-Ball system- it sure makes switching among coupler/ball sizes easier

U-Haul: Moving supplies: Select A Ball Kit 1" x 2-3/8" Shank

Hope this helps!

Francesca
__________________

__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
I had one of those "universal hitch ball kits" but the issue I encountered was trailer height.
Over the years and 6 trailers, none used the same height nor used the same draw bar. I had installed this item on one of my drawbars that I could not get it off. So now, I wait until I have another unit, measure and order a new ball/drawbar combo. However, if you have 2 trailers with 2 different size balls and same height, it works.
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Name: Ashley
Trailer: Beginning to research
Georgia
Posts: 9
Thanks, y'all! So much great information!!! I found a u-haul nearby that seems to have the best prices in the area. I am quite the "do it yourself-er," but I think that without a pneumatic wrench, I'd better let the professionals handle this one... That is if they don't try to charge me an arm and a leg for the installation. We will see. I may end up posting again asking advise on installing a hitch! : )
__________________
Mtnbyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
You can certainly ask what it's going to cost before the work is done... they're not building an ark . I've always had good luck with my local Uhaul place. I hope you have good luck as well
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #20
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,056
I may be wrong but I believe your '06 Frontier is very similar to our '09. When we bought ours we bought the oem hitch and wiring from a Nissan dealer. As I recall the whole thing was about $300 and was very easy to install. All the wiring was plug and play except for the brake controller which required some crimp connectors. No impact tool to install the hitch, just a torque wrench. You drop the spare tire and every thing bolts up. Seven pin connector plugs into a socket on the chassis. A couple of relays behind a panel on the passenger side front. The whole thing took a couple of hours and we are very slow. The nice part is everything fit, plugged in etc. and if you search the Nissan forums you can get install tips. Good luck, Raz
__________________
Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Why would you have six receiver hitches? Well I guess you could if you had as many vehicles as I do, I guess I have about 5 receiver hitches a 5th wheel and a Goose neck hitch and none of them have broken either.

Having several drawbars is not unusual. Lets see - my tow vehicles:
57 Chev hardtop
'80 GMC half ton
89 Suzuki Sidekick (only for very small light trailers)
92 GMC one ton
97 Toyota 4Runner

Things to be towed:

18 foot flatdeck car carrier and general purpose (haul big stuff) trailer Uses 2 5/16 ball (10,000 lb gross trailer weight)
tiny boat trailer 1 7/8 ball gross wt with small sailboat on it - about 400 lb
small utility trailer (uses 1 7/8 ball)
Surfside 14 (2 inch ball)
Boler 1700 (2 inch)
Bigfoot 21 (2 inch)


All the tow vehicles have different heights of hitch. The 3 travel trailers all are the same height, but the others are all different

Combinations - for the flatdeck - only the 2 trucks

The Sidekick only gets hitched to the boat trailer or the Surfside

The '57 Chev - anything EXCEPT the flatdeck (and needs weight dist for either the Boler or the Bigfoot)

All tugs have brake controllers and the only trailer sans brakes is the teeny boat trailer

Now work out how many drawbars I need!
__________________
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Greg H's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Having several drawbars is not unusual. Lets see - my tow vehicles:
57 Chev hardtop
'80 GMC half ton
89 Suzuki Sidekick (only for very small light trailers)
92 GMC one ton
97 Toyota 4Runner

Things to be towed:

18 foot flatdeck car carrier and general purpose (haul big stuff) trailer Uses 2 5/16 ball (10,000 lb gross trailer weight)
tiny boat trailer 1 7/8 ball gross wt with small sailboat on it - about 400 lb
small utility trailer (uses 1 7/8 ball)
Surfside 14 (2 inch ball)
Boler 1700 (2 inch)
Bigfoot 21 (2 inch)


All the tow vehicles have different heights of hitch. The 3 travel trailers all are the same height, but the others are all different

Combinations - for the flatdeck - only the 2 trucks

The Sidekick only gets hitched to the boat trailer or the Surfside

The '57 Chev - anything EXCEPT the flatdeck (and needs weight dist for either the Boler or the Bigfoot)

All tugs have brake controllers and the only trailer sans brakes is the teeny boat trailer

Now work out how many drawbars I need!
Drawbars and hitches are not the same, if you mean Drawbars plug into the receiver then yeah the more the merrier I probably have 6 or 7, but hitches bolt to the frame. In his case if he doesn't have 6 cars then why does he need 6 hitches? By the way it looks like you only need 5 hitches, you can have as many "Drawbars" as you want.
__________________
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Never heard of one breaking. The six I have are in perfect shape. Granted, the oldest is only 16 years old.

I have a friend who's Reese hitch broke, though.
When I bought the Curt for my '08 Highlander it was a new model version. If I recall correctly, Curt and Toyota were my only choices at the time. The one from Curt was really new I guess, because the first one didn't line up on the holes and the second one was warped and wouldn't come close to fitting. The third one was the charm... for about half or 3/4 of a year, then it snapped when I was going about 60 mph on the turnpike. Fortunately one end held so I was able to stop safely and unhook. To Curt's credit they did send a fourth one, which has a stronger design at the end where #3 broke. I've towed with #4 for probably, oh, 65K miles or so and it's working fine.

So maybe the best advice would be simply to avoid any new receiver designs, stick with receivers that have been in use for a year or so... but to do that I could not have towed with my Highlander for the first year. Toyota wanted about $700 and I wouldn't give them the satisfaction.
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Posts: 818
The Curt hitch for my new Subaru Outback comes in tomorrow. If all goes as planned, I should have it installed tomorrow night. I already requested lift time in my father's garage. Fortunately, they pre-wire the Outback for trailer lights, so that is just plug and play. I will report back on how the installation goes. I may even take pictures. By the way, I bought the class III hitch. Curt also makes a class II hitch with a 1.25" receiver for the Outback.
__________________
-Jesse
SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:37 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Radar1's Avatar
 
Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Posts: 766
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
The Curt hitch for my new Subaru Outback comes in tomorrow. If all goes as planned, I should have it installed tomorrow night. I already requested lift time in my father's garage. Fortunately, they pre-wire the Outback for trailer lights, so that is just plug and play. I will report back on how the installation goes. I may even take pictures. By the way, I bought the class III hitch. Curt also makes a class II hitch with a 1.25" receiver for the Outback.
If your Outback is like mine, the wiring supports a normal 4 way plug. I had to run separate wires for my brake controller and power lines. etrailer.com has a good strong dual wire that serves that purpose well, available in their brake controller wiring section.
__________________
John-Dave and Marilyn
Sharpsburg, GA
04 Dodge Dakota V-8 and 17 Dodge Durango V-6
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1

If your Outback is like mine, the wiring supports a normal 4 way plug. I had to run separate wires for my brake controller and power lines. etrailer.com has a good strong dual wire that serves that purpose well, available in their brake controller wiring section.
My Scamp doesn't have brakes or a battery... But I will keep this in mind if I should upgrade. Thanks! For now, all of my trailers are equipped with flat 4s, so I'm good to go.
__________________
-Jesse
SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Posts: 818
UPS just delivered it... Curt class III hitch for my 2011 Subaru Outback.







__________________
-Jesse
SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,002
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Class III &IV hitches are 2", if you can find one which is powder coated instead of painted,it will remain in good shape much longer.
Any brand will do what it is rated for, but at the margin, square is stronger than round.
A Scamp won't take it anywhere near the margin though, so you can go with the one which looks and fits best.
My cousins class VI is 2 1/2" and our class III is 2" Despite the light weight of his Airstream he needs the extra due to the heavy tongue weight caused by axle set back

1.5" class I and class II will meet most small trailer needs of under 2000 lbs 'they do not give extra tongue capacity'

Ours the paint came off see "Show us your hitch" link for picture of it
told paint due to usage on dirt roads?
Attached Thumbnails
Class III with attitude.jpg  
__________________

__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Receiver mounted 2-bike rack DaveK General Chat 7 05-24-2012 05:20 PM
Scamp Rear Receiver Hitch Larry Singer Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 18 07-15-2010 04:17 PM
"U-Hitch" Rear Hitch Receiver Tim Ryce Modifications, Alterations and Updates 9 03-12-2009 05:05 PM
Front mount receiver hitch for the truck rudock1 Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 11 05-21-2008 02:38 PM
Hitch receiver and spare tire carrier BobB Modifications, Alterations and Updates 14 10-10-2007 12:22 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.