Receiver Hitch Recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2011, 04:10 AM   #1

Name: Ashley
Trailer: Beginning to research
Georgia
Question Receiver Hitch Recommendations

We are starting to look for a used Casita SD and I have not yet gotten a 4" receiver hitch for my '06 Frontier King Cab. I am wondering if some manufacturers are better than others, if I should have one installed at my local RV store (there is a Camping World right across the street from my office) or if I should just go with the best price, and what else I should take into consideration that I haven't even thought about.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ashley
Mtnbyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think you may want a class III or class iV receiver depending upon your vehicles specs. Read your manual and then go to CW as an informed shopper. Don't forget you will need auxiliary cooling and a brake controller also.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnbyker View Post
We are starting to look for a used Casita SD and I have not yet gotten a 4" receiver hitch for my '06 Frontier King Cab. I am wondering if some manufacturers are better than others, if I should have one installed at my local RV store (there is a Camping World right across the street from my office) or if I should just go with the best price, and what else I should take into consideration that I haven't even thought about.

Ashley
ClassIII &IV hitches are 2", if you can find one which is powdercoated instead of painted,it will remain in good shape much longer.
Any brand will do what it is rated for, but at the margin, square is stronger than round.
A Scamp won't take it anywhere near the margin though, so you can go with the one which looks and fits best.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Unless you're wealthy stay away from Camping World and other RV shops.
U-haul or even Pep Boys will install a good hitch at a reasonable price.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
You can check places like etrailer.com and Amazon, and then install it yourself. The hitch itself is easy to install, you basically just bolt it on.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #6

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnbyker View Post
We are starting to look for a used Casita SD and I have not yet gotten a 2" receiver hitch for my '06 Frontier King Cab. I am wondering if some manufacturers are better than others, if I should have one installed at my local RV store (there is a Camping World right across the street from my office) or if I should just go with the best price, and what else I should take into consideration that I haven't even thought about.

Ashley
I am looking for a 2" hitch. oops.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
I agree with the referral to etrailer.com or even U-Haul. Etrailer.com will list the difficulty level of installing the hitch so you can decide from that if you want to tackle it or have it installed somewhere.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I've owned several brands of receivers (purchased for various vehicles) and the only one I was, shall we say, less than impressed with was the Curt brand.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I've owned several brands of receivers (purchased for various vehicles) and the only one I was, shall we say, less than impressed with was the Curt brand.
See not long ago someone recommended a Curt and I said " I would not put a Curt on my riding lawnmower ", Now I guess I'm not the only one. Use A brand name such as Reese or Draw Tight.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #10

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H
See not long ago someone recommended a Curt and I said " I would not put a Curt on my riding lawnmower ", Now I guess I'm not the only one. Use A brand name such as Reese or Draw Tight.
Have been happy with all of my Curt hitches. I researched each one, and in every case I was more impressed with Curt than the other brands. Curt is a little of an upscale brand, I suppose... So expect them to cost a few bucks more. The finish was better on the Curt hitches, most of them didn't sit as low, the reinforcement ring around the receiver was nicer and stronger-looking (completely absent on many 1.25" hitch brands), and the hardware looked better (and was beefier) on some of them.

My experience with Curt hitches is limited to my Scion xD, Honda Fit, Honda Civic, VW Golf, Mercedes Sprinter van, and Chevy van.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Curt

Have been happy with all of my Curt hitches.

I would add to this I've been happy with the Curt company. They have been very responsive when we had an issue.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #12

Indiana
That's funny, I wonder why they keep breaking? Did you say ****** or "up scale"? Either way I wont have one, and lets end it at that!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #13

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H
That's funny, I wonder why they keep breaking? Did you say ****** or "up scale"? Either way I wont have one, and lets end it at that!
Never heard of one breaking. The six I have are in perfect shape. Granted, the oldest is only 16 years old.

I have a friend who's Reese hitch broke, though.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I had a Reese hitch receiver (square tube) break. The tabs for the forward mounting bolts cracked and separated from the rest of the receiver.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #15

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Never heard of one breaking. The six I have are in perfect shape. Granted, the oldest is only 16 years old.

Why would you have six receiver hitches? Well I guess you could if you had as many vehicles as I do, I guess I have about 5 receiver hitches a 5th wheel and a Goose neck hitch and none of them have broken either.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Ashley

I had my receiver hitch installed at U-Haul thinking that since they have stores everywhere, it would be easier to get any potential problems taken care of.
I've been very satisfied with the (remarkably inexpensive) job they did, and have had no problems whatsoever with the hitch.
I do check the torque on the bolts periodically as ordinary maintenance.

As a side note, I heartily recommend U-Haul's Select-a-Ball system- it sure makes switching among coupler/ball sizes easier

U-Haul: Moving supplies: Select A Ball Kit 1" x 2-3/8" Shank

Hope this helps!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I had one of those "universal hitch ball kits" but the issue I encountered was trailer height.
Over the years and 6 trailers, none used the same height nor used the same draw bar. I had installed this item on one of my drawbars that I could not get it off. So now, I wait until I have another unit, measure and order a new ball/drawbar combo. However, if you have 2 trailers with 2 different size balls and same height, it works.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #18

Georgia
Thanks, y'all! So much great information!!! I found a u-haul nearby that seems to have the best prices in the area. I am quite the "do it yourself-er," but I think that without a pneumatic wrench, I'd better let the professionals handle this one... That is if they don't try to charge me an arm and a leg for the installation. We will see. I may end up posting again asking advise on installing a hitch! : )
Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You can certainly ask what it's going to cost before the work is done... they're not building an ark . I've always had good luck with my local Uhaul place. I hope you have good luck as well
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #20
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I may be wrong but I believe your '06 Frontier is very similar to our '09. When we bought ours we bought the oem hitch and wiring from a Nissan dealer. As I recall the whole thing was about $300 and was very easy to install. All the wiring was plug and play except for the brake controller which required some crimp connectors. No impact tool to install the hitch, just a torque wrench. You drop the spare tire and every thing bolts up. Seven pin connector plugs into a socket on the chassis. A couple of relays behind a panel on the passenger side front. The whole thing took a couple of hours and we are very slow. The nice part is everything fit, plugged in etc. and if you search the Nissan forums you can get install tips. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote