Reciever Size? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #1

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Reciever Size?

I am looking into hitches for our 2006 Sienna Minivan and trying to find the least visible one possible to install. Toyota's Factory hitch is a Class 2 with a 1.25" receiver that tucks nicely up under the van. My question is do I need a 2" receiver to tow a 13 Foot Egg? I "think" all I need is a hitch that can handle the tongue weight and the total weight of the Egg so it seems a class 2 would suffice. I just don't know if the 1.25" receiver would be an issues. I did see an adaptor that goes into the 1.25 inch receiver making it a 2". We've always had Class 3 hitches with a 2" receiver for our towing in the past so I'm a bit confused about the smaller receiver size and if it matters or not as long as the weight capacaties are within it's limits.

Thanks,
Melissa

Old 08-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
this is a good company to deal with as i've purchased many a hitch from them....
A class3 is much better than a class2 in the way it's mounted.
Joe
The first one shows it installed on your van and the second one is called hidden hitch.
Toyota Sienna Trailer Hitch - 2006 | etrailer.com

Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I would go with the class III with the two inch receiver. There are a lot more things that are available for hitches with the two-inch receiver such as bike racks, etc. I agree that etrailer.com is a great company to get things from. The only bummer that I see with the hitches pictured (and they may be your only option) is that the whole crossbar is visible from the rear. On our Town and Country the only part that sticks out below the van bumper is the actual receiver, with the crossbar being hidden up underneath. Just a personal preference really.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:15 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Get the Curt hitch from etrailer. It looks the best and sits slightly closer to the underside than any other hitch. etrailer is a top-notch company.

Tom
Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester/ 2012 Toyota Highlander
British Columbia
Registry
While it is true that 2 inch Class III receivers are more popular, a 1.25 inch Class II receiver is adequate for a 13 inch trailer. See link Trailer Hitch Class FAQ

Class II is good for 3500 pound Gross Trailer Weight, 350 pound Tongue Weight.

We are using a 1.25 inch Class II hitch for our Escape 13 and it works just fine.

Brian
Old 08-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 1999 Burro
I made a mistake several years ago of putting a class II hitch on my van. My reasoning was that I had a 1 1/4 receiver built into a mazda tribute and I could move accessories back and forth. I found that the hitch really limited the accessories that I could use as well as limited the towing capacity when I needed to rent a uhaul. I recently switched to a class III.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #7

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Thanks everyone. I will check out the links to find the one that is hidden the most and will do the job. We had one of those ugly low hanging/dragging U-haul hitch on our last Sienna and I swore I'd never do that again, lol. As far as limiting my tow capacity, since I only have 3500 lbs for my van anyway the Class II does fit that limit. If I had a higher tow capacity I'd definately get the Class III.

Brian, is the hitch on your van factory or aftermarket? I'm curios since you said your crossbar is completely hidden and that is what I'm trying to accomplish as well.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Melissa,
I tow with a 2006 LE Toyota Sienna and before I towed with a 2003 CE Sienna. Our prior trailer was a light weight, 13' Compact Jr. and our current trailer is a heavier 17' Bigfoot. With the 13' no WDH was needed or used and a Class II hitch would have worked great. With the 17' a WDH is necessary so a Class III hitch (Curt) is essential. The Toyota design of fold-in-the-floor 3rd row seats in the second generation Sienna leaves too little room for a Class III hitch to be tucked under the rear bumper. Brian L is talking about a hitch on a Chrysler. There may be a Class II hitch that is less visible for your Sienna. Here is a link to lots of discussion about towing with a Sienna. The solution to the hitch scrapping is Airlift 1000 rear spring assist bags.

Towing & Hauling
Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #9

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Have used a class 1, 2 and 3 hitch with equalizer hitch ''weight distribution” is a much better tow. Switching the current car from hitch and sway bar too class 3 with WD next week for a better and safer tow. Will still work with a utility trailer just do not use the torsion bars. The trailer is also reto fitted with trailer brakes and proportinal braking modual. have to add brakaway swith to meet the mto requirements.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #10

Ontario
Registry
Car is new with tow kit from dealer. (hitch, trailer bake modual and trans cooler and more) had to wait for it to be made.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #11

Ontario
Registry
Our old trailer was a tent trailer that actually weighed a little more than a 13’ boler, the old car was a subcompact? The dealer would not give it a tow rating even; your van will not be a problem. The trailer can be moved by hand by on person around the yard it is so well balanced. The hitch is to keep the rig level while driving as that is an mto requirement in Ontario. Other benefits are the 2” receiver works with more accessories. In the 80’s pulled a 27’ Woods trailer using a class 3, WD system and trailer brakes behind a dodge van.