Recommendation for a trailer to tow- 2019 Sabaru - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #1

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oklahoma
Recommendation for a trailer to tow- 2019 Sabaru

We have a 2019 Subaru Outback with a 2" towing hitch. A 2019 Subaru Outback has a standard towing capacity of 2,700 lbs. We are two seniors who are minimalists campers; car camping in the back of the Subaru for up to two weeks. We are considering upgrading to a small camper to have the convenience of a toilet/shower. What type of trailer would be recommended for our vehicle and minimal camping style? Thanks.
DKPendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Outback has a decent tow rating but the relatively low 200# tongue weight rating (see the manual for that and other towing caveats) means you are limited to an 1800-2000# (loaded weight) camping trailer, since you want a minimum of 10% tongue weight for stable towing.

A Scamp standard front bath model fits the bill nicely. Stick with a single LP tank to stay within the tongue weight limit. It’s available with a standard dinette/bed (45”x76”) or a large dinette/bed (54”x76”) with a smaller galley and storage closet. Electric trailer brakes are optional; you'll want them.

This forum is about all-molded fiberglass trailers, but of course, there are other small, lightweight options, from tent trailers to teardrops. Don’t know much else under 2000# with a wet bath, though.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:11 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+1 to the Scamp 13 with the front bath. Note that in the world of FG trailers, a 13 foot model only has a ten foot body on it. To get a bath, you have to give up something else. The something else is typically a front gaucho "couch" that makes into a set of bunk beds. The gaucho gives you a place to sit without taking up the bed every morning and making it back up every evening (which gets old!)

Don't get misled by trailer dry weights. Check weights in the real world. Manufacturer dry weights understate the actual weight that you will be pulling.

If we ever replace my wife's Honda Element, we will probably get an Outback. I would then use the Outback to pull my Trillium 1300. The Element is just too underpowered for that job, so I use my F150 (tow vehicle for the Escape 19).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #4

Oklahoma
We appreciate all the reliable info.
Thank you.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Another one to consider is a little joe made by weiscraft .... not real common... I was luck to find one a few weeks ago
Just picked it up in no California.... my wife and I love it ours is without a bathroom but they do make a model with one
We use a porta potty
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Thanks Thrifty Bill. Since the Scamp 13'= 10ft of living space will the Subaru pull a Scamp 16'? Specs say weight is1750-2000 lb & Tongue weight 165lbs
Old 04-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #7

Oklahoma
I haven't heard of the Little Joe. I'll check them out. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2019, 12:20 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
a 16 with a bath typically has a GWR of 3500 lbs, 350-450 lb tongue weight when fully loaded. dry weight is around 2000-2200 lbs, give or take...so the trick is to load it as lightly as possible, which isn't easy, its amazing how fast bedding + towels + food + water + beverages + clothing + cooking gear adds up...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:24 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKPendleton View Post
I haven't heard of the Little Joe. I'll check them out. Thanks!
note thats a very minimalist trailer.... 'pressurized' water, meaning, no water pump, you put up to 6 gallons of water in the tank, then pump it up with airpressure from a bicycle pump. there's no holding tank, so you need an external grey water holding tank... there's no shower or toilet. propane, stove, fridge are optional. its basically a bedroom. you can use a portable toilet, where you replace the waste bag every day or two.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:03 AM   #10

Oklahoma
John in Santa Cruz, Thanks for the info.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:06 AM   #11

Oklahoma
Appreciate all the helpful feedback.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Actually that is not totally correct about the little joe
They make a model called The ponderosa which does have a toilet & shower... I visited there facility in December and have a brochure that talks about those features... they are located about an hour from me not far from Denver.... in fact I just dropped off my trailer at their facility on Monday to have a few modifications made.... great guys
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
The CVT transmissions used in late model Subaru's will not fare well towing.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #14

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasitaMiner View Post
The CVT transmissions used in late model Subaru's will not fare well towing.
That's an important consideration all right. Do you have a source for a reliable explanation of that issue?

Walt
Old 04-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you want to buy used, then finding a Little Joe will be nearly impossible. Scamp is a more realistic choice for used. And no, your Outback is not suitable to tow a Scamp 16. The fact that a 13 only has a 10 foot box does not make a difference.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Although Casita no longer makes a 13', they do show up used and could be another possibility. I think they are pretty comparable to the Scamp in terms of dry weight and tongue weight.

Walt
Old 04-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #17

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The Outback has a decent tow rating but the relatively low 200# tongue weight rating (see the manual for that and other towing caveats) means you are limited to an 1800-2000# (loaded weight) camping trailer, since you want a minimum of 10% tongue weight for stable towing.
For the Subaru Outback, to compensate for the difference in weight between its ability to tow and its capacity on the lug, installing stabilizer bars would be correct??

I already met a camper with a small car and a little trailer camper, balanced with one little stabilizer bar and he told me it was ok in his case.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
For the Subaru Outback, to compensate for the difference in weight between its ability to tow and its capacity on the lug, installing stabilizer bars would be correct??

I already met a camper with a small car and a little trailer camper, balanced with one little stabilizer bar and he told me it was ok in his case.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
Using a weight distributing hitch does not override the manufacturer's tongue weight rating, unless the owner's manual specifies a higher limit with WDH. Most trucks and a few passenger vehicles are like that. For example, I believe the Grand Caravan/Town and Country specify a limit of 1800# on a weight carrying hitch and 3500# on a weight distributing hitch.

Most smaller crossovers, including the Outback, do not endorse WDH. Many of the lighter receiver hitches are not rated for WDH use, either.

Good equipment, including WDH used appropriately, can make towing within manufacturers' ratings better and safer by improving stability, handling, and braking. There is a whole RV sub-industry that revolves around modifications and equipment to tow beyond the manufacturer's ratings. I personally choose not to go there.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #19

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Using a weight distributing hitch does not override the manufacturer's tongue weight rating, unless the owner's manual specifies a higher limit with WDH. Most trucks and a few passenger vehicles are like that. For example, I believe the Grand Caravan/Town and Country specify a limit of 1800# on a weight carrying hitch and 3500# on a weight distributing hitch.

Most smaller crossovers, including the Outback, do not endorse WDH. Many of the lighter receiver hitches are not rated for WDH use, either.

Good equipment, including WDH used appropriately, can make towing within manufacturers' ratings better and safer by improving stability, handling, and braking. There is a whole RV sub-industry that revolves around modifications and equipment to tow beyond the manufacturer's ratings. I personally choose not to go there.
As Subaru is inconsistent in the vehicle's ability to tow up to 2700 lbs, accompanied by a maximum weight of 170 lbs on the tongue ...
The rule of 10% to 15% minimum on the tongue, is not present in their rules, to prevent the swaying of the trailer.
With a trailer of 2700 lbs, 270 lbs minimum should be present ...
They should say 170 lbs on the tongue accompanied by a remoque of 1700 lbs ???
No?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
As Subaru is inconsistent in the vehicle's ability to tow up to 2700 lbs, accompanied by a maximum weight of 170 lbs on the tongue ...
The rule of 10% to 15% minimum on the tongue, is not present in their rules, to prevent the swaying of the trailer.
With a trailer of 2700 lbs, 270 lbs minimum should be present ...
They should say 170 lbs on the tongue accompanied by a remoque of 1700 lbs ???
No?
Travel and cargo trailers typically specify 10-15% tongue weight, but boat trailers often carry much less. Subaru's ratings do represent a mismatch for owners desiring to pull travel trailers, but they are real limits set by the manufacturer.

The Subaru manual also has a caveat that the tow rating of 2700# is reduced by 50% when towing under certain severe conditions (long grades in high temperatures).

All of that adds up in my mind to a conservative approach to towing with this vehicle.

Tags
eco