Recommendations for Tow Vehicle? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #61
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

The big maintenance item on the Odyssey is the timing belt at 105,000 miles.
It is such a surprise to me that they are still using a belt while most other engine builders have moved on to a low maintenance chain. I am aware that Honda is telling customers it is because the belts are quieter than chains but to my ears the difference is not there.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #62

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob,

On the Odyssey as far as I know ECO is not a choice. It just happens and you can not even tell it's happened. When you're driving about, at least in FL, it's almost always in ECO except when accelerating. Driving around the state on FL's two lane roads we're consistently in the 30+ range.

When towing ECO mode is much rarer and usually all 6 cylinders are firing, yet we manage better than 19 mpg. The Odyssey six provides plenty of power and like your setup the trailer doesn't seem to influence the Odyssey at all. As usually we're towing with 7-8% tongue weight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #63

Florida
Wayne, I agree about cloth versus chain belts. I'll agree even more when I spend a $1000 to change it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #64
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
As usually we're towing with 7-8% tongue weight.
I'm going to stick my neck out Norm and suggest you try moving up to a 10/11% tongue weight. Considering the size and weight of your new vehicle my thoughts are it would improve an already nice stable rig.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #65

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Norm; try a DIY on the 3 plugs on the back side of that engine !! I've only worked on a couple vans with the V6 engine, and did not like it at all. Too used to working on big truck diesel engines where the hood flips up and you stand next to the engine.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #66

Florida
Increase Tongue Weight?

Wayne,

You may be right, maybe it would tow better. I've now towed for 7 years with 7-8% tongue weight and always felt the trailers tracked beautifully. Generally my rule in life has been if it works, let it be. There's so much in life that doesn't work that needs fixing.....

The only way I can see to increase the tongue weight is to go to dual batteries.

The present organization of our trailer has weighty items over or near the axle for best stability. I certainly wouldn't move any heavy items away from the axle.

Of course more tongue weight lightens the Odyssey's front axle, certainly a negative effect.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #67

Florida
Bob, I DIY the simple things like brakes. I did not do the plugs on the CRV, probably due to it's one time nature, that may also be the case on the Odyssey. If I have goof off time I'm usually willing to do things I might otherwise not do.

I'm beginning to read about the different methods of cylinder control, they all shut off cylinders but not all the same way.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #68

New York
I'm a retired truck mechanic, and have replaced countless starters in them, but when the CRV starter went bad and I read online how much of the engine had to be disassembled to replace it I took it to Honda and let them do it. Reason being they do it enough to know just what to take off and what to leave alone. Plus some vehicles require special tools unique to them, and the big factor being 3 bad discs in my back making bending over a car fender quite difficult. The electronics and computer controls in all modern vehicles, diesel trucks included have made repairing them much more difficult. As for the cylinder cut out, we looked at a Chevy pickup that had that feature but online discussions debate that for that engine it has caused excess oil consumption and GM won't do anything about it. And supposedly the Ford 5.4 engine was prone to blowing out spark plugs so I ruled out buying one of those. Then I quit reading reviews and bought the Dodge, don't want to know.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #69
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Plus some vehicles require special tools unique to them, and the big factor being 3 bad discs in my back making bending over a car fender quite difficult.
Bob, I know the feeling. After the 80lb grandson jumped up on me I too had 3 bad discs and went through 5 months of sciatic pain. Not so bad now and back at getting things done. Installed the winter tires on our vehicles last week.

I have always serviced our own vehicles but lately rely on a good shop to do the tougher jobs.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #70

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post

I have always serviced our own vehicles but lately rely on a good shop to do the tougher jobs.
Everything has become so specialized now, requiring special tools and training. When I was working it was all company owned lease or rental equipment so if we screwed up it didn't affect the customer. But I don't want to screw up my own stuff so some repairs go to the dealer. I'm much more comfortable working on my vintage vehicles.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #71

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, drive like you have an egg between your foot and gas pedal.
There are some BIG trucks and small trailers out there, but if you could put your egg between your foot and the gas pedal...
You wouldn't need to TOW IT!!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #72
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Wayne,

The only way I can see to increase the tongue weight is to go to dual batteries.

Of course more tongue weight lightens the Odyssey's front axle, certainly a negative effect.
That is true Norm an you know I respect your experience with your rig.

I just recall how well our Coleman towed. It was a 2,000lb trailer loaded for travel with a close to 300lb tongue weight (14 to 15%) just on the ball. No sway control. Our van was smaller and lighter than your Oddy with a shorter 112 wheelbase. It was an excellent tow. Traveled all over North America with it.
Attached Thumbnails
cool pics000.jpg  
Old 12-05-2014, 06:46 AM   #73

Florida
Wayne,

I did not mean to imply that I had experience with lightening of the front axle of the Odyssey by increasing the tongue weight. I did mean to suggest that we haven't seen any problem with our 7-8% tongue weight.

I'm certain we could go to a higher tongue weight and the Odyssey would handle it.

We have driven the Cabot trail a couple of times without any issue, a really nice trip. There are so many of these wonderful places.

We have decided to head up that way this spring, returning to Newfoundland. This usually gives us a little time in Nova Scotia. As we age in our travels we tend to stop at favorite places, partially because we like than but also because it triggers memories of extended trips, admittedly there is comfort in the familiar. (Already looking forward to McGregor's in Pictou and the Clucking Chicken on the Cabot Trail).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #74

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Amazing how we return to favorite food haunts while traveling. I remember having to spend Thanksgiving while enroute to California in the 60's for a military transfer. Stopped in New Mexico and had a Thanksgiving feast at a roadside diner, one of the best meals I have ever eaten outside of my home.