Recommendations for Tow Vehicle? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
LHH

Name: Lor
Trailer: Gone and done it.
Dreaming
Talking Recommendations for Tow Vehicle?

Hello

It occured to me that I will need to get a tow vehicle before a FG camper...daah....(can you tell I was blond before I turned gray?)

I would like something with more cargo room than seats. Good on gas (hopefully) and something that is reliable. A late year used would be better on the wallet. From what I can tell, I will be towing about 2000 (dry). The main priority is safety. I will be doing some mountain driving in Western North Carolina and here in New England.

I was thinking about a van (need to carry some stuff that won't go in the camper) and looked at the Ford Transit Connect. Liked at a lot. Unfortunately, Ford does not recommend towing....too bad.

So...what are you towing with? Would you recommend it? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU, You Lovely people.
LHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
If you looked at the Transit Connect then money must not be that important, so if that's the case maybe a Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter, That would have lot's of room and plenty of power and there are more of them in the used market. Personally I would prefer a Chevy Astro cargo van with the v-6, but you may want more room and they don't build them anymore so it would have to be a used one.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm a backward thinker here... I think you should get the trailer first. Then match the trailer to the tug. What if the trailer of your dreams (and fits your budget) is a couple of hundred pounds heavier than the tug you just bought can tow.... trailers are harder to come by than tugs too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A pickup with a cap will have lots of cargo room and can be had with or without backseat. They are very good tow vehicles. We have a Nissan Frontier; very comfortable and more than enough power. The Toyota Tacoma with the V6 is also a good choice and probably easier too find used. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
A pickup with a cap will have lots of cargo room and can be had with or without backseat. They are very good tow vehicles. We have a Nissan Frontier; very comfortable and more than enough power. The Toyota Tacoma with the V6 is also a good choice and probably easier too find used. Raz
And don't forget you can still get a Ranger, and a huge pile of cash!
Or there's the one no one mentions for some reason... the Colorado/Canyon from GM, It seems OK as long as you will accept your options as packages and a "handicap" transmission.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
LHH

Dreaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
If you looked at the Transit Connect then money must not be that important, so if that's the case maybe a Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter, That would have lot's of room and plenty of power and there are more of them in the used market. Personally I would prefer a Chevy Astro cargo van with the v-6, but you may want more room and they don't build them anymore so it would have to be a used one.
Unfortunately, Greg, money is an issue <sigh>. I will be trading in my beloved Chevy HHR.

The used Transit Connects I've seen cost no more, or marginally more, than a used F150. Now, the electric version of the TC are another story! Doubles the price. But, since they don't tow, it is a mute point.

Thanks for the advice and I will look into the Sprinter & Astro.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
LHH

Dreaming
Thanks, Donna.... Good suggestion....but then, how do I get an egg home? My little HHR can't tow beyond 1000 #, in other word, not much.

But...I'll keep your suggestion in mind when I get closer to narrowing down an egg/tug combination. It looks as if the eggs I am interested are about 3000#, so I'll start with that number... Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm a backward thinker here... I think you should get the trailer first. Then match the trailer to the tug. What if the trailer of your dreams (and fits your budget) is a couple of hundred pounds heavier than the tug you just bought can tow.... trailers are harder to come by than tugs too.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #8

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Small SUV's & mini vans

A number of the smaller SUV's have pretty good tow ratings. For instance, the Ford Escape has a great rating. Our "new" Hyundai Santa Fe is rated at 3,200. We liked these vehicles because they could be used as our "every day" car when we weren't on the road & the gas mileage is good for just running around the city on errands. As far as vans go the new Dodge Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country have a great rating but you MUST get one with a factory tow package--otherwise it's only 2,000.
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHH View Post
Hello

It occured to me that I will need to get a tow vehicle before a FG camper...daah....(can you tell I was blond before I turned gray?)

I would like something with more cargo room than seats. Good on gas (hopefully) and something that is reliable. A late year used would be better on the wallet. From what I can tell, I will be towing about 2000 (dry). The main priority is safety. I will be doing some mountain driving in Western North Carolina and here in New England.

I was thinking about a van (need to carry some stuff that won't go in the camper) and looked at the Ford Transit Connect. Liked at a lot. Unfortunately, Ford does not recommend towing....too bad.

So...what are you towing with? Would you recommend it? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Another small SUV that has a hight tow rating is the V6 RAV 4

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Not to change the subject, but they quit building Plymouth vehicles several years ago. You can look at the Dodge caravan and the Chrysler Town and country. The reason I suggested the Chevy Astro or even the GMC Safari is because they are rear wheel drive and available in all wheel drive.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Hello

I would like something with more cargo room than seats. Good on gas (hopefully) and something that is reliable.

That sounds like a dream vehicle. I would love a large van that has cargo room, and seats, and gets good mileage. The diesel Sprinter comes to mind, still on my dream list.
Most other full size vans and pickups are gas hogs. Minivans might fit the bill since they hold more cargo than cars, get reasonably good fuel mileage, and most can tow up to 3500 lbs if properly equipped. Most minivans have low hitches though due to their design and will probably drag if you have a sharp incline at the end of your driveway.

I use a Subaru Outback that's rated for 2700 lbs (with brakes) and pull my 16' Scamp with it, but haven't attempted any real mountains so I can't say how it would work in BIG hills. Works fine in the rolling hills in GA though.

I also use a Dodge Dakota Quad cab with a V-8, but since I have a bed cover instead of a full shell, the cargo capacity is limited and actually less than my Subaru. I'm still contemplating if I want to get a full shell, but that's an extra expense if you go the pickup truck route and desire one.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #12

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Not to change the subject, but they quit building Plymouth vehicles several years ago. You can look at the Dodge caravan and the Chrysler Town and country. The reason I suggested the Chevy Astro or even the GMC Safari is because they are rear wheel drive and available in all wheel drive.
They also have the tow transmission.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think you will find 2 classes of towing specifications when looking at a new tow vehicle. The hitch for Class II hitch capacity up to 3500 lbs. and class III hitch up to 5000 lbs. So as long your vehicle and hitch are comparable then you should have no issue with finding a trailer being within those limits because it is a range. I have always tried to get a vehicle with "factory tow" which matches the hitch and vehicle capacity, and usually has auxiliary cooling with a "Tow Mode" in the transmission. You can add a hitch to any vehicle but the auxiliary cooling will make the vehicle perform better.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #14
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Update?

LHH... Did you end up finding an Astro/minivan, or an SUV?
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I have a 2003 Chevy S10, extended cab, V6, Automatic with cruse and air conditioning, new tires, and around 54,000 miles.

I towed a Scamp 5r with no problem.

It also has a class III hitch and is wired for an electronic brake.

$7,500 firm

Mineral, Virginia
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
LHH... Did you end up finding an Astro/minivan, or an SUV?
The OP last posted here on April 2012 indicating they had purchased a 2007 17.5 Bigfoot - but no mention of what they are towing it with.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #17
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I have a 2003 Chevy S10, extended cab, V6, Automatic with cruse and air conditioning, new tires, and around 54,000 miles.

I towed a Scamp 5r with no problem.

It also has a class III hitch and is wired for an electronic brake.

$7,500 firm

Mineral, Virginia
Sounds good. Glad it worked out. My buddy has an S10 of the same vintage and it has served him well.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
The new Ram with the 3.0 liter ecodiesel did pretty well in many categoreies in this comparison between the 2015 Ford, Chevy, and Ram.
Comparison: 2015 Ford F-150 vs. Ram 1500 vs. Chevrolet Silverado
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Hello

The 2015 Transit connect is all new and designed and rated to tow. If I were to buy new today it would be on top of my list to replace my 2008 Escape. The Escape has years to go yet though. The Transit is rated to comfortably tow my loaded Scamp13D front bath.
If you were considering the old Transit, take another look before you buy.

Look here....
2015 Ford Transit Connect | Ford.com
Old 11-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
The Transit Connect not the Transit.
The Connect starts at $22,000 and is a compact van