Remove drawbar - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
There is a persistent rumour that you can get a ticket for not removing your receiver out of the bumber hitch, because it is a hazard for walking into it in a parking lot ( I have done this, but it was my own) and if you back into another car it can cause a lot of damage. I have heard you can get a ticket if the ball blocks your license plate, has anybody ever got a ticket for this?
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Boler
I have heard the same rumour, but never had it confirmed. I have to take mine out of my truck (03 Tacoma) because I've dragged it on the ground a couple of times coming out of parking lots with very steep access ramps.
Michael Knelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #3

I always take mine out because it will seize in because of rust and I really hate smacking my knees on it !
Old 11-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
I always take mine out because it will seize in because of rust and I really hate smacking my knees on it !
I leave mine in to protect the rear end of the RAV4, since the spare tire sticks out further than the "bumper". I saw a "bumper" on a pick-up. It was about two feet wide and went into the receiver in lieu of the hitch and ball.

bags
Old 11-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have never heard of this, and I have been stopped plenty of....er, uhm.....

I have had officers of the law follow me with my draw bar in full view without saying a thing.

Rog? Even if this IS a law, is it likely you would pull someone over JUST for that?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
We always kept ours in place in the car when we had our Boler.
Yes, I do have the bruises from walking into it. we bought a small cover for the ball so it wouldn't rust..

License was still visible and once when I was rear ended it took a lot of the impact and my car had next to no damage. T'was a hit and run from two cars back. (I was first in line and lucky no damage)

Now, no trailer so we took it out from the car..

Haven't bought one yet for the escape.(tow vehicle)..
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The one of my tug sticks out, oh about a foot. I've an expensive rear door that the drawbar protects. In fact, some young punk got a hole through his radiator when he decided I didn't leave the green light fast enough. I've only whacked my shin once. That was one time too often. I never gave myself a ticket for it either.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Rick kl who is a Canuck started this thread so as such I'll add my 2 cents worth (Canadian).

These laws are PROVINCIAL and do vary province to province. (Motor Vehicle Act) State by State laws also are involved.

In B.C. it IS illegal to leave the receiver in your hitch when it is not in use. It is ALSO illegal to obscure/block vision of your rear plate (for ANY reason) as Police/RCMP NEED to be able to have a clear, full/unobstructive view of your rear plate ESPECIALLY the little decals with the regi number on them (usually located at the very bottom of the current decal).

Glen (and others) NOT pointing digits at anyone, but YOU responded!!!
....its only a matter of time before you are officially spoken to about your practice, no matter WHAT you believe your valid reasons are for leaving the receiver IN, you ARE in fact in voilation of one of B.C.s MVA rules. Just because you DO/can get away with it, doesn't make it legal.

Now, having said that, let me add also that its only going to take ONE law enforcement officer to see this and take action.
Chances of this happening?? Slim to NONE.
Chances of it happenin on one of those days when you are 'ready LATE for work an its pi_ _ in rain? Purty good!!!!

I'll get offa my soap box now!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
What do they do with a Mitsubishi Montero where the ball mount is bolted to the receiver?

BTW, the part bolted to the vehicle underneath is the receiver hitch; it receives the ball mount or stinger, which is the part that comes out.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #10

Registry
in addendum to this ( and a l'il off topic) and for further example how MVA laws differ province to province and state to state/ country to country ....there are provinces and states where it is LEGAL to drive/operate a motor vehicle (or trailer) WITHOUT fenders (front, rear and or rear both).

EG: Washington State has a Fair Weather Law which states (in part and NOT quoting) it is legal to operate an motor vehicle without fenders on a clear and dry day. Some provinces also have this law, unfortunately the Province of B.C. does NOT have this law. It IS illegal to operate a motor vehicle (trailers fall under this rule) without fenders at any time here in B.C.. However, there are (literally hundereds) many cars/trailer on the road with NO fenders running in B.C..
Legal, NO.
Is it 'done'? Yes.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #11

Registry
Pete, in B.C. there is a law that states that these 'bumper hitches' are no longer legal! See now the differences in Country to country laws?
Again ....it is only going to take ONE law enforcement officer to see this law violation and act on it.

A few year ago, I was headed home (north) from Washington (Sedro Woolley) and was pulled over by a (city) Police officer because my DAY TIME running lights 'B O T H E R E D' him!!!
I pointed out that I AM Canadian, this IS a Canadian vehicle, NEW from the factory and that these lights were stock/from the factory. I was ticketed (by this officer), appealed (in court) and won the case, BTW!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #12

I phoned the Saskatchewan highway traffic board, they told me if the ball mount extends more than 8 1/2" from the vehicle a ticket can be handed out.

Its true! some politicians really have nothing else to do!

Every jurisdiction will be different so if you drop off the trailer and go to town for a six pack its best to take out the drawbar.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #13

Registry
Rick, does Saskabush NOT have a 'Department Of Transport' or is this the same thing, different title?

They'd be the better ones to contact about issues like this. As I said these laws vary province to province, state to state and country to country.

Bottom line is yes you can leave it in, but it only takes one officer to pick up on it and act.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #14

The Saskatchewan highway traffic board is the dept. that hands out the tickets and inforces the laws. Same thing as the 'Department Of Transport'

If you get too many tickets, they are the ones that pull your license.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #15

Registry
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #16

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
I love living in a redneck area. If you drive your truck WITHOUT a ball, they pull you over cuz if you ain't towin yer boat to go fishin, or your camper to go huntin, or yer snowmachine, you MUST be up to something. lol

Legal? I don't know, and I likely won't worry until I get stopped. The stinger is hardly ever in place on my pickup, and only on our Explorer when the Casita's attached.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Its true! some politicians really have nothing else to do!
If you stop and think about it, most politicians are powerless to do anything except make or repeal laws AND vote on budgets -- When one complains to one's elected representative, one risks having new law made.

When crime goes up because the laws can't be enforced, the politicians respond with new laws that can't be enforced.

Doug, the factory hitch on the Mitsu is NOT a bumper hitch -- It's more like the Euro style -- The ball plate bolts to the vertical surface of the frame-connected hitch with four bolts -- Doesn't stick out very far and would be tedious to remove compared to conventional ballmount/drawbar.

What does the Province do about reinforced step bumpers with a hole for a ball? My '98 Ranger came from the factory that way -- Rated for at least 2,000 lbs -- I installed a Class 3 receiver because it's sturdier and more flexible.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
What does the Province do about reinforced step bumpers with a hole for a ball? My '98 Ranger came from the factory that way -- Rated for at least 2,000 lbs -- I installed a Class 3 receiver because it's sturdier and more flexible.
The province PROBABLY does nothing about these bumper hitches unless/untill the 'right' officer of the law, or Dept. of Transportation officer decides to make an issue of the thing. I'm told its now illegal because of increasing safety issues with towing something much heavier than the assembly is designed to do. I know ....this same thing can be done with any receiver type hitch too!!!!! When I had my Mazda pickup, I used to have a bumper hitch on it (for towing light weight utility trailers) untill we bought the Trillium. At that point we decided (for safety sake) to install a proper receiver hitch. On our '06 Dakota pickup, we ordered it with the trailer tow package. This package also included a plug to fill the hole in the stock factory bumper.