Replace 12 Year Old Tires Or Not? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Name: Mike & Ellen
Trailer: 1988 Liberty Van Companion 17'
Michigan
Registry
Replace 12 Year Old Tires Or Not?

Our tow vehicle has 12 year old BFG T-A radial tires with only 30,000 miles on them. Our tow vehicle is not used in the winter, and stored in a garage. The tires still look to be in excellent condition, no sidewall cracks and plenty of tread life. The question is: Would you replace the tires due to their age?

Old 03-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Unless only driving local and not towing. Otherwise I would replace them.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #3

Name: Mike & Ellen
Trailer: 1988 Liberty Van Companion 17'
Michigan
Registry
Yes, we would be using to tow!
Thx Papa-T
Old 03-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #4

Name: Rod
Trailer: 1984 Dolphin
Wisconsin
Rubber starts to brake down around 7 years so I would replace them.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #5

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Tire compounds break down with age and affect grip on both dry & wet roads. I replaced my 7 year old tires two years ago on the van first thing I noticed was taking off from a hill the back tires were no longer wanting to spin same goes for braking much more grip to the road.

Your car will feel like a new ride.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Yes, yes, yes! Go directly to the tire store; do not pass GO, do not collect $200. The rule of thumb is that tire rubber compounds break down too much to be reliable after 5 to 7 years.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If a tire is not used then the oils in the rubber compounds are not "stirred" and the tire rubber compounds "dry" out.
The rolling of the tire keeps the rubber alive.
Yes those tires are too old and while they look good they are a time bomb waiting to blow when you least expect it.
Sitting for a long time they are probably flat spotted as well.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
The rubber compounds of tires degrade internally more so than they do on the outside. They can show no outward visible signs of deterioration but can be literally falling apart inside. They could present an extreme hazard, such as a blow out, without any warning, (and most probably under conditions where it will be the most inconvenient or dangerous.) Best to replace them, (any tires,) at 5~7 years, whether they appear worn or not.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:11 AM   #9

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
A question for the OP... What did your tire store rep say last time you got your tires rotated?
For whatever reasons, tire stores generally will not mount or service a tire over 10 years old.
Still....
"Logan's Run" maintenance is no substitute for tire inspection, inflation, and rotation on your TV.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #10

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Rotation

[QUOTE=floyd;512884

"Logan's Run" maintenance is no substitute for tire inspection, inflation, and rotation on your TV.[/QUOTE]

I was always under the impression that the only reason for rotating the tires was to get even tire wear. WAS I WRONG. .Living in a state that loves to apply road salt ,my mechanic suggested rotating the tires. The salt had rusted the rims on so hard that I could not believe the effort it took to remove and rotate the tires.
If I had had a flat tire there was no way I could get that tire off the vehicle and install the spare. I get the tires rotated every other oil change . As usual Floyd offers some good advice.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
A question for the OP... What did your tire store rep say, last time you got your tires rotated?
For whatever reasons, tire stores generally will not mount or service a tire over 10 years old.
I talked to the manager at the tire store I use about changing tires based on their life, as my trailer tires are 6 years old now. He told me 'off the record', that he personally would, and has, run his own trailer tires for close to 10 years, while monitoring their condition. His take was that the tire companies are just covering their butts, and want to sell more tires.

He said they have the same issue with struts, in that the recommended replacement of them is way shorter than what they have experienced in real life, and that they just have to be monitored. As soon as the sway begins to show, then change them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=steve dunham;512891] The salt had rusted the rims on so hard that I could not believe the effort it took to remove and rotate the tires.
If I had had a flat tire there was no way I could get that tire off the vehicle and install the spare.

I've had to beat rims off with a sledge hammer. Any of my vehicles where the center hole of the rim fits tight on the hub I'll put never seize or grease around the hub. No I don't put it on the studs, that topic has been discussed already. We had problems with big trucks using hub piloted wheels on aluminum hubs where they would seize onto the hub. Some tool company came out with a puller to help get them off.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #13
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I talked to the manager at the tire store I use about changing tires based on their life, as my trailer tires are 6 years old now. He told me 'off the record', that he personally would, and has, run his own trailer tires for close to 10 years, while monitoring their condition. His take was that the tire companies are just covering their butts, and want to sell more tires.

He said they have the same issue with struts, in that the recommended replacement of them is way shorter than what they have experienced in real life, and that they just have to be monitored. As soon as the sway begins to show, then change them.

I'm sure if we wait a little longer the government will come out with a new regulation prohibiting the use of tires over a certain age!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #14

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I'm sure if we wait a little longer the government will come out with a new regulation prohibiting the use of tires over a certain age!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Likely true! And that would prevent, once and for all, the further improvement or development of tire longevity and technology....
A great victory for the Luddite Hoi-Polloi!

Tags
tires