Replacement Tongue Jack for Scamp 13 Deluxe 2016 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 06:09 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Replacement Tongue Jack for Scamp 13 Deluxe 2016

I am looking to replace a tongue jack manual for the 2016 Scamp 13 2016 model. I have not located the weight capacity needed in the Scamp material or the scamp replacement parts store.

Here is a link to Curt sidewind 2000 Lb capacity on Amazon. Will this be sufficient or do you all have a better suggestion? I constantly learn from your input and experience on the forum and certainly appreciate all the input!

Thanks
Scott-Linda and our Egg "SALLEE"

Amazon Link

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-28204-Si...2%3A2661618011
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:26 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
What you also have to consider is the "projection length". The length that the outer tube of the jack extends below the mounting flange. That will determine the clearance distance to the road after the jack is retracted. Will also determine if you can get a wheel on when unhitching, if you use one. etrailer is another good source.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The tongue weight on your trailer is < 500 lbs.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal6342 View Post
I am looking to replace a tongue jack manual for the 2016 Scamp 13 2016 model. I have not located the weight capacity needed in the Scamp material or the scamp replacement parts store....
Although your tongue weight is under 300 lbs (I'm sure), it can be more when you have the trailer jacked up from the sides or back. However, I still doubt that you could find a tongue jack that was under-rated no matter how hard you looked.

Scamp uses the cheapest jack around, so cheap that when I replaced mine I looked it up online to get its value, then seeing the value, just gave it away.

I wonder why you are replacing the jack. If you need more clearance for the tug's tailgate or rear door then I know of two possible solutions (I have the first one, the handle hits the propane tank at times but it works for me):

The Ultimate Jack | A-Frame Trailer Jack at its FInest!

Jack-E-Up

Or maybe you want a side mounted jack to free up space on the tongue, or a powered jack.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:51 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Replacement Tongue Jack for Scamp 13 Deluxe 2016

Bob is right about projection length. When I bought our used Scamp, the original jack was damaged, so I just bought an inexpensive top wind bolt-on jack from Walmart. I like the top wind style better because you can spin it up or down quickly with one finger.

But the projection length is about an inch longer, so I really have to be careful on driveway aprons and speed bumps.

This will be my next jack: http://theultimatejack.com. It has an adjustable projection. You can raise it completely up for travel and lower it near the ground to unhitch, so less cranking. (And I now see Gordon has beat me to it. He's the one that put me onto the Ultimate Jack.)
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:24 AM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

This will be my next jack: The Ultimate Jack | A-Frame Trailer Jack at its FInest!. It has an adjustable projection. You can raise it completely up for travel and lower it near the ground to unhitch, so less cranking. (And I now see Gordon has beat me to it. He's the one that put me onto the Ultimate Jack.)
Hey Jon, I might have mentioned this before, but I would make sure the hitch pin that secures the lowering lever is ALL the way in. I had my in, like you normally do with hitch pins, but the hitch pin was maybe a little worn or tired, and came out on the road. Then at some point the jack went down. It never hit the ground but it was close.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #7

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
If you tend to camp in campgrounds with considerable elevation change in the pads, the Ultimate Jack is the answer, allowing you to customize the length to fit the terrain. This was the main reason I installed the Ultimate Jack and it has lived up to all expectations. Also, I can use a foot or dolly wheel as the situation may require.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:25 AM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
... Also, I can use a foot or dolly wheel as the situation may require.
As for the wheel attachment, the Ultimate Jack Model RDJ-2K manual says:
This product is NOT intended to be used as a transport device for implement to which is it attached. Minimize movement of the implement while jack is under load.
That might be a statement more attributed to lawyers than engineers for all I know, and I think it is fairly common among different jack manufactures. It does make one scratch their head as to why they even sell a wheel attachment, but I did not even buy a wheel for my Scamp jack for that reason.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #9

Louisiana
Registry
Talking

Good point Gordon, and I would be concerned were it not for, what in my case, is a highly overbuilt jack. With a 1760 lb loaded weight and a 175 lb tongue weight, I think that 3000 lb static weight rating gives me sufficient wiggle room.

I agree that the caveat is likely lawyer speak, and I take full responsibility for the my use of this jack.

I worked for 20 years for a major drive belt manufacturer and always got a chuckle when I read, on our and our competitors belt sleeves, the warning to turn off the engine before changing the belt. Then again, growing up in rice country, I saw several older farmers who had missing fingers lost when putting the belts back on the moving pulleys of old combines.

Oh well, live and learn, and dial with your ring finger.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #10

Ohio
Thanks for the great feedback on the Ultimate Jack. I looked at the website and it looks like it would solve multiple issues. One question I cannot see on their website is the bolt pattern and screw size. The Scamp is using 9/16th I believe for the bolts. Just want to make sure it all matches up-perhaps they are all universal?

Thanks
Scott
Old 08-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal6342 View Post
Thanks for the great feedback on the Ultimate Jack. I looked at the website and it looks like it would solve multiple issues. One question I cannot see on their website is the bolt pattern and screw size. The Scamp is using 9/16th I believe for the bolts. Just want to make sure it all matches up-perhaps they are all universal?

Thanks
Scott
Mine fit fine (Scamp 16, single propane tank)) except I needed more washers and one of the washers had to be filed down a little to get it to fit. And the handle does hit the tank as I mentioned, but I can lift it a little while turning to avoid that (most of the time, the tank does have a few dings on the paint).
Old 08-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #12

Louisiana
Registry
The bolt holes in the Ultimate Jack are oblong to accommodate variations in bolt pattern. The holes in your tongue should be threaded, so you should be able to bolt the jack down with the existing bolts. These jacks are made for universal application.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #13

Ohio
Replacement Tongue Jack

Thanks for the feedback and it looks like we will go ahead and order the ultimate jack.

Scott
Old 08-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The tongue weight on your trailer is < 500 lbs.
Keep in mind that when hitching and unhitching at some point you may also be lifting the back end of the tug. If your playing it safe and ensuring you have a good solid hitch latch then you are mostly likely doing it every time you hitch up.

Which is why I suspect most of the tongue jacks installed by trailer manufactures are rated far higher than the actual tongue weight of the trailer. Often 4 to 6 x the weight of the tongue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Keep in mind ....
And a few kids on the bunks might add 100 lbs, and lower the front as far as possible to then raise it for taking weight off the torsion axle will transfer weight to the tongue, and etc... Lots of reasons for the jack to be rated much higher than static tongue weight on level ground. But I still think it would be about impossible to find one under-rated. Lightest I see online now is a 1,000 lb rating. Heck, even my 1500 lb GVWRed utility trailer came with a 2,000 jack
Old 08-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #16

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
As to the weight rating I set the rear stabilizers for what I hope will be level with the tongue down a little and after I have adjusted the rear I raise the front with the jack to load the rear stabilizers.
So a greater rating on the jack comes into good use.
I like the fact that I can hitch the trailer and pull the locking pin and raise the whole jack shaft for clearance.
I remove the wheel and put it in the rear of the wagon (after pouring out the rain water collected in the top).
Luckily the read deck lid clears the raised shaft so I don't have to completely remove it.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:21 PM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I too have installed the "Ultimate Jack" on my old Scamp and have been very pleased. It took some fabrication to mount it on the tongue of my older unit but it has been well worth it. BTW, I got my Ultimate Jack at Tractor Supply on sale for under $50. If it is not on sale they send out 10% off coupons pretty regularly as well.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #18

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I wonder why Ultimate Jack is not offered by trailer manufactures as an option. I replaced the factory installed jack with Ultimate jack on my Scamp shortly after purchase.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #19

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Scamp 16
Washington
Ultimate Jack Out of Business?

I just went to the Ultimate Jack site and it said they are no longer selling the ultimate jack due to warranty issues.

The Ultimate Jack | A-Frame Trailer Jack at its Finest!

Just thought I'd pass that along.
kjackson82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp