Replacing Axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2006, 05:36 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
Has anyone replaced an axle on a 13 foot Trillium?
What is the best way to go?
Get the axle from Trillium or an after market??
It is a 1975 Torsion type.
Been told it should be replaced, I would feel much safer to do just that.
Any help out there?
JohnWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I'm amazed that no one else has responded to this!

Axle replacement is a popular subject here, so this is a good time to discover two FiberglassRV resources:
  1. the Search feature, on the right side of the page near the top, between Help and Members
  2. the Helpful-Links page, under Resources on the left side of the page, has a page in it full of links to companies which make trailer axles
I have a Boler, not a Trillium, and I have leaf springs, not rubber, but I think the general idea is...
  • replacing the complete unit is the only way to fix worn out rubber,
  • getting the whole thing with hubs and brakes is so cheap that it makes no sense to reuse any of the original parts, and
  • any decent local axle shop or major on-line supplier is a suitable source - there's no need to go to the original manufacturer (not that the current Trillium companies have anything to do with the guys who made the trailer in 1975 anyway)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
We just replaced our Boler's axle with a Dexter axle with brakes and EZ lube option ordered from Redneck Trailer Supply. The axle gods were smiling because with careful measuring before ordering it was a direct bolt in. The trailer sits higher, has "boing", and brakes!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 75 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
We just replaced our Boler's axle with a Dexter axle with brakes and EZ lube option ordered from Redneck Trailer Supply. The axle gods were smiling because with careful measuring before ordering it was a direct bolt in. The trailer sits higher, has "boing", and brakes!
Lizbeth, was your axle leading link or trailing link.
My Boler is a 75 13', and the links are leading. If i were to replace the axle, and wanted brakes, i understand i would have to modify the mounts to make it a trailing link.
Not really a "bolt in" mod
Norm Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #5

Registry
Mine are trailing.

On yours the mounts would have to be moved forward on your trailer? Are your arms in an up position? That's the only way I can see leading arms working at all for suspension. What in the world was Boler thinking when they did this?

I suppose you could undo the brakes assemblies and rotate the axle to get the brakes facing the "right" way for a leading arm. Brakes don't care which side they are on as long as they face the "right" direction.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Mine are trailing.

On yours the mounts would have to be moved forward on your trailer? Are your arms in an up position? That's the only way I can see leading arms working at all for suspension. What in the world was Boler thinking when they did this?

I suppose you could undo the brakes assemblies and rotate the axle to get the brakes facing the "right" way for a leading arm. Brakes don't care which side they are on as long as they face the "right" direction.
Yes they are above the pivot point.
The brakes would not be the problem, but the whole trailer would rise on activating the brakes.
Has anyone here replaced a leading link torsion axle like mine to a trailing link torsion with brakes?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:30 PM   #7

Registry
Ahhhh...I see your point. I wonder how much it would lift?

Know anyone who's a welder? I don't think new brackets would be a hard project. Mine are L shaped welded to the the frame and floor box. I suppose welding would burn the close fiberglass, I see you having to lift the body. Not an easy project indeed. See where typing while I think gets me.

I wonder if you could bolt on tubing?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Ahhhh...I see your point. I wonder how much it would lift?

Know anyone who's a welder? I don't think new brackets would be a hard project. Mine are L shaped welded to the the frame and floor box. I suppose welding would burn the close fiberglass, I see you having to lift the body. Not an easy project indeed. See where typing while I think gets me.
I wonder if you could bolt on tubing?
I'll think about this for a while longer,
Sorry for highjacking the thread
Old 04-26-2006, 04:02 AM   #9

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
I'll think about this for a while longer,
Sorry for highjacking the thread
It appears that the axle goes thru or is welded to a l looking peice that is welded to the frame. I am thinking of jacking it up and taking the hub apart and get into things. If things look too ugly, STOP !!!! I don't want to do any harm to what I have. A flat piece of medal comes off the axle on a downward angle to the rear which the hub is on???
Thanks for the help and keep it coming.
JohnWalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle

« Axle | trip/airbags »