Replacing axle, adding brakes, changing wheels? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Question Replacing axle, adding brakes, changing wheels?

We have a 1979 13' scamp that probably needs a new axle. We would like to put brakes on it, as we live in Colorado, tow up and down mountain passes frequently, and tow with a minivan (2003 Sienna with factory tow package). I know we don't *need* brakes, but we've towed a canned ham (~1500lbs) for years under these conditions without them, and those years told us we *want* to have them on this trailer. We have the original baby moon caps, and is not like to lose them.

As far as I can tell searching this site and googling, we have a few choices and options.

We can replace the axle and the hubs to 5 bolt with brakes. Will the baby moons fit on 5 bolt wheels? (I have to admit I haven't even popped one off yet)

Are there 4 bolt replacement axle brake options?

And there's all the leading and trailing arm stuff that has my head twisted up in knots. Honestly, despite reading as many threads as I could last night on it, I'm still completely confused about that.

Thanks so much for any help

Old 03-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #2

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The only thing I can recommend is that the new axel is Bolted On, Not Welded. This makes it owner changeable at a later date. Welded on requires you to pay an expert to do it.

This is also the time to decide if you want to raise the ground clearance or not.

Because it is more than likely welded on now, you will need to pay someone to remove and reinstall the new one unless you are an expert at such things.

It needs to be done without catching the egg on fire.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #3

Colorado
Registry
Yes, definitely having someone else do it. I can do a lot, but welding is not one of them!
Old 03-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #4

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
I just ordered an axle for my 13 foot Scamp from the Scamp Factory - they have them in stock and can ship it out to you via UPS. This way, you get the same axle Scamp uses, without having to worry about figuring out all the necessary measurements. Just find a local shop to install it for you.

Price on mine, with brakes included is $445.00 plus actual shipping charges ($50 - $100, depending on your location). Mine was shipped yesterday and is scheduled to be delivered here in Michigan tomorrow - so QUICK service.

Another option that I considered was to take the trailer to the factory and have Scamp Service Techs install it. The cost for install that they quoted me last week was $210. Stated they could do it any time, just call for an appointment.

I'll pay a little more for the install having it done locally, and with the shipping charge, but it saves me a trip to MN, so I still think I'll come out ahead.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Lyle, When you get the axle will you please post the manufacture and model number. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #6

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Lyle, When you get the axle will you please post the manufacture and model number. Thanks.
Sure.

I know it's a Lippert, 2200 lb, torsion axle with brakes. When I get it, I'll see what other info I can find for you.

When I spoke with Scamp, they said the factory has about a 6 week delay in sending out the axles, so it is much faster to buy from Scamp, since they keep them in stock - if time is important to you.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #7

Colorado
Registry
Yes; but what about the wheel issue? Any advice or btdt on brakes/new axle and 4 hole wheels?
Old 03-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #8

Colorado
Registry
And the leading/trailing arm stuff that has my head in knots?
Old 03-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #9

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
Yes; but what about the wheel issue? Any advice or btdt on brakes/new axle and 4 hole wheels?
I did not specifically ask about 4 vs 5 hole, probably should have. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Regarding the leading vs trailing arm, I do not know. I suppose it is whatever Scamp is currently using. This is the axle Scamp would use to replace the old one, so I assume it works fine, which ever it is.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Replacing axle, adding brakes, changing wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
And the leading/trailing arm stuff that has my head in knots?
Yes, this is not so easy!

If you order through Scamp, you will have to go with the current configuration: trailing arm, 5-bolt. That will involve some custom work to install. This thread contains a summary of what seems to be involved. It will also involve a change to the spare tire mount.

I recall seeing baby moons on a late model (5-bolt) Scamp somewhere here. I couldn't locate the post, so I can't be sure, and I don't have a lead on a wheel source.

The alternative is to stick with the current leading arm, 4-bolt set-up. Technically you can't buy a leading arm axle any more. You have to buy a trailing arm and reverse it. This thread has some good discussion of the pros and cons both ways. The OP ended up sticking with a leading arm, 4-bolt set-up with brakes.

Since both solutions involve some complexities, the most important decision may be choosing the right shop to do the work.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #11

None
Received the Axle about noon today. The hubs are 5 lug, so I will need to get some new rims.

Will also have the shop that is installing the axle fabricate an adapter for the spare tire mount.

Since I do not understand all about axles, I just will post a photo of the Manufacturer sticker that is on the axle. Hope this helps folks who need more information.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000236.JPG  
Old 03-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #12

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Flexiride Torsion Axle

I just installed a Flexiride Torsion Axle under my 83 13' Scamp. Got it from Southwest Wheel's Trailer parts.com. Got 4 lug brakes on eBay. Wanted to keep my original wheels. Everything was about $450 shipping included.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Curb side axle bracket  (3).jpg  
Old 03-06-2016, 11:35 PM   #13

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
When I replaced my Scamp's axle a few years ago, I had a local trailer builder swap in a trailing arm Flexi-ride axle in place of the leading arm configuration, and they were able to use my original 4 bolt hubs with brakes to the new axle.
Dave & Paula

Tags
axle, brakes