Replacing Axle in 1982 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #1

Name: Alison
Trailer: Scamp
OR
Replacing Axle in 1982 16' Scamp

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are in the process of doing several Scamp renovations this fall. We were hoping to have some of them done by early November, so we can do a road trip with our new (to us) 2015 Ford Escape towing the camper. I have owned the Scamp for about 10 years and recently discovered that the axle was bent beyond repair. The only way we knew was because of the uneven tire wear. We can't trace the bending of the axle to any one incident... weird.

The reason for my post is that we have been told by our local RV technician that we cannot fix the axle and that it needs replacing. There are a couple of good trailer welding shops here in Central Oregon we can use for the job. My question is what axle would folks recommend? We definitely want to change to a bolt-on axle this time for easier servicing. Any suggestions? Also, we are on a budget, so discount websites, etc would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
alsamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:22 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
When I replaced the axle on my 13' Scamp, I ordered the axle from the Scamp factory. They sent it out Fed Ex the next day, I had it three days later. The technicians at Scamp also talked on the phone with my local welding shop and gave them detailed instructions for converting the welded on axle to a bolted on and supplied all the measurements the shop needed. The shop was impressed with the help the factory gave them. I had a new axle, the exact one Scamp would put on, and had the job done right. It wasn't prohibitively expensive.

Or, you could plan a vacation to MN and let the factory do the job. Replacing the axle for them is about a 4 hour job. They are great to work with and do good work. They are not expensive for labor.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
When I needed an axle for my Bigfoot, I bought it from Six Robblees in Portland Or. They also have branches in Eugene and Grants Pass Or. They stock lots of inventory and get axles by the truckload so shipping is less expensive. A good welding and fabricating shop can install an axle. I would look for a shop that built or repaired utility and livestock trailers. Internet sources for axles are Etrailer and Eastern Marine, but shipping might be higher. I suspect Six Robblees has the axle you need in stock. When I needed an axle for my Bigfoot. they had 5 of them in stock.

Most likely, you will only need to replace the axle once in the entire time you own the trailer. Good luck.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp