Retred? Whoops - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Retred? Whoops

I just returned from a road trip to PA I noticed a lot of tire tred chunks on the side of the road. These are probably retred truck tires that have come apart as the truck travels down the road. Some of these tire pieces are quite large. It seems to me that should one of these pieces be tossed toward a vehicle the damage could be significant.

I live in Ontario Canada, and don't see nearly as many tire chunks at the side of the road. Is this because it happens less here, or are they just getting the roads cleaned up faster?

Has anyone had any "flying tire tred" experiences they would like to share?
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #2

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
interesting thing about those tire treads,, we often call them "gators"
they are from new tires not recaps. there is a very low recap failure rate on comercial truck tires, most of what you see are trailer tires that went flat and the driver can't feel it. they heat up and fall apart.

some areas you will see a lot of them,,,other places you never see them. it mostly reflectsthe amount of truck traffic on a given road.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think Pennsylvania has more trucks than other states, I know we have more RR tracks. These chunks can do a job to your undercarriage.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Pennsylvania also has a serious Deer problem. We travel I-81 often and the carnage is scary. We saw the same thing on I-80. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Interesting that you raised this topic. For all my years of driving I've seen countless debris from tires. During a recent trip to Portland my wife commented on the amount of tire debris. Not two minutes later my eyes "saw" movement on the side of a tractor trailer ahead of me before my brain even reacted. The whole thing seemed to happen in slow motion. A rear curb side tire "exploded" in a cloud of debris and a surprising amount of grey smoke. Most of the debris went sideways except for a couple of chunks that were in line with where my wheels were headed. I swerved and the debris went down the center of the truck and trailer. I'm glad they have those large mudflaps. Without them it could have been a different result.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #6

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
It must be that these treds mostly get shot toward the shoulder of the road. I suspect that we would hear more about it in the media if these disintegrating tires were inflicting death on unsuspecting drivers.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I-295 from the Delaware Memorial north into Jersey usually has a good supply of thrown shoes. The big chunks are usually on the berm but the little chunks with the steel cord sticking out manage to stay in the lanes. I'm more worried about a puncture than about getting slapped in the grill or windshield.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote