Risk adverse automakers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Hmmm. I was just wondering....

Risk adverse manufacturers? That's a good thing isn't it, especially in a manufacturer of products carrying you and your loved ones around?

Wanting to avoid warranty claims? That's good too, isn't it? Even if it's fixed for free an owner is inconvenienced to bring it in. Aren't the US manufacturers already struggling enough with their quality reputation without compromising it for someone who wants to tow their mega-trailer with a VW Beetle?

Even if it doesn't break while we have the vehicle, somebody downstream is still going to be annoyed with the manufacturer.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again. Few problems occur under perfect conditions. It's got to stay under control on a rainy, dark night during the panic stop to dodge the deer that jumped in front of us.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 1981 Burro 13 ft
Quote:
Hmmm. I was just wondering....

And I've said it before and I'll say it again. Few problems occur under perfect conditions. It's got to stay under control on a rainy, dark night during the panic stop to dodge the deer that jumped in front of us.

Yah, had the opportunity to experience first hand where the saying "a deer in the headlights" comes from. Only it was around 3 in the afternoon with quite a bit of traffic on an interstate in North Carolina.

Two deer literally jumped out of the woods, into the ditch next to the road; second jump was into the right lane of the expressway.

Vehicle performed flawlessly.. as I hit the slower of the two--the one who "paused" to look at me right before impact.

..An old saying; a little rock, paper, sizzors; some Darwinism; and a big fat insurance check later..I live to tell my story.
Sorry, no trailer hitched up at the time... less we could have discussed the Law of Inertia!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Having pulled rv trailers from large to small over 100,000 miles in mountains, hills, and flatland I would say based on my experiences that most tow vehicles are somewhat overrated by the manufacturers rather than underrated in regard to their published ratings.

Pulling near the maximum rated load will result in shortened vehicle life and high maintenance requirements on brakes, transmissions, rear axle components and oil changes. Even with high level care you will be fortunate not to experience failures if you consistently tow near the published to limits of the tug.

When that adverse situation presents itself, a quick lane change, a panic stop caused by other road fools, you will become rapidly acquainted with the "pucker factor". If you are lucky enough to escape unharmed and undamaged, I believe you will be quickly evaluating your decision of living on the edge of tow capacity.

Martin