Running lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2008, 12:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Bigfoot / 2005 GMC Sierra
Unhappy

Just purchased a 92 17.5' Bigfoot trailer and have no idea how to do anything to it - the last owner said three of the top running lights on the back of the trailer do not work. A friend of mine pulled one of the lights off thinking they would just screw off from the base but it came right off the fiberglass! I guess step one would be to try to get in the light itself - sorry I guess you have to start somewhere - how do you get into them without breaking them? Any info would be wonderful. Thanks- a BC newbie
MountainHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
show us a picture or give us a name and part number?

usually the lens pries away from the base on most marker lights, But I'm not sure about the burros.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Now uld b the time to install LED running lights.

Tractor Supply in the US has them for a very reasonable price.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Helping friends with utility trailer lights, I have run across some where the bulb(s) is manufactured as part of the light and the whole thing is replaced as a unit.

If several lights aren't working, then it's likely the wiring, and if it's the wiring, it's likely the ground/return wires.

Darwin is right on about LED lights because they will draw far less current and not create TV current problems, esp if your trailer lights are just tapped into the TV lights and not on a tow-package relay.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
The #1 MOST COMMON REASON for non functioning running lights IS A BAD GROUND!!!
IF you can get the cover off to expose the innerds, take a look at the wiring. Pull the bulb clean the terminal ends & contacts in the fixture with a fine sandpaper (or whatever) and also check the ground wire inside the fixture. It MAY need to be removed from the ground and cleaned as well and reinstalled. IF you can, also check to see the the bulb itself works ....easily done by replacing it (to test) with its next door neighbour bulb (if ITS working). If it works put it back in BUT once these bulbs are out, its always wise to replace it with a new one. Saves redoing all this next year!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Bigfoot / 2005 GMC Sierra
Thank you for all the good suggestions - and explaining it so I can understand. Im sure I will be asking a lot more questions!
MountainHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: The most common reason my wifes diamond grit nail file is a mess is I used it to clean the ground connections on the Boler Lights
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, lights