RV Tires - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 09:22 AM   #141

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I bet this has already been said in one of the prior 140 posts but speed really matters to tire failure, heat is the real enemy but speed generates heat.

Generally speaking ST tires tend to have a lower speed rating, now me I drive slower when towing so no big deal but once you go over the speed rating of the tire you sort of find uncharted territory.

A tire that might last one person 5 years in a cooler climate at lower speeds might last only half that in a hotter climate at higher speeds. With tires it seems like they can suddenly fail because some often unknown threshold was crossed. Short of having temp and air pressure monitoring of tire it can be hard to tell exactly what it was that contributed to the failure.

Whatever you choose check often, inspect closely, and know the limitations of that brand/model/style.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #142

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've had ST tires for 8 years, Goodyear Marathons, travel on them for 7 months a year and have yet to have a failure. We keep them stiff at 50 psi.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #143

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We've had ST tires for 8 years, Goodyear Marathons, travel on them for 7 months a year and have yet to have a failure. We keep them stiff at 50 psi.
Running at high end of tire rated pressure is another way to prevent heat. Hiya Norm have not run across your posts in awhile. Was thinking about those under floor storage bins you posted about for this season.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #144

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Low pressure increases flexing producing more heat. As we go north we'll be adding air to our tires. Other ways to decrease heat is of course to slow down. We're generally in the 55-60 mph range and usually are not towing in the afternoon, typically peak heat.

Roger, we still have those under trailer storage boxes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:29 PM   #145

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Changing from 14s to 15s is mainly done if your trailer weight is close to the tires' capacity and you want more cushion.

Plenty of people have had trouble with ST tires and have switched to LTs. But there are no scientific studies; it's all anecdotal evidence, so it all depends on what you're comfortable with.

I have had 2 ST tires blow and 1 lose its tread in the past, oh, I think 5 years. I am still running STs but I am now selecting those with a 75 mph speed rating or higher, to see it that helps.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #146

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Thank you your responses, all! It seems that everyone has a different experience with tires.

I have to admit that I am taken aback by the potential cost of having to replace my travel trailer tires every 3-4 years when my truck tires (and brakes) lasted 7 years.

I have also been told by tire sales reps that ST tires have firmer sidewalls, and I have also read that as Jim says, the firmer sidewalls in a higher-ply make for a much less bouncy ride, which is important to me, but then what Tom says about the specs for the Kuhmo Radial 857 in size 205R14C makes a lot of sense and this is the 2nd time someone in the FGRV community has recommended that particular tire (thanks, both of you).

Thanks, Roger, Norm and Ginny on the reminder about the importance of proper inflation and speed!

Thanks, Mike, for explaining the rationale for upping the tire size. Even though I would not expect to exceed 60-65 mph maximum ever when towing, I would definitely want the higher speed rating that you mention. I really do not want to experience a blow out if I can avoid it.

Luckily or not, I have some other exterior work on the TT to do myself first and then some other budget priorities, so will probably be waiting until summer's end to get new tires and then have my trusty mechanic install new brakes, bearings and shocks at the same time.

Meanwhile, I will have some more time to research what travel trailer users say about the Kumho Radial 857 205R14C versus the Maxxis ST M8008 (which I think are available in the 14" on some sites). Reading the forums, it sounds like there are some important distinctions between using tires on 5th wheels, RVs and travel trailers in terms of how the bulk of the weight is distributed at rest and in motion (RVs being more similar to trucks because of their front axle performing steering functions, while 5th wheels and travel trailers just follow the steering from the tow vehicle). Sometimes I find that there is more online than I really want to know, but I would rather be over-informed than under-informed... as long as I can finally find something that is reliable and fits my budget!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #147

Name: Hans
Trailer: Bigfoot 25FB
Texas
New Goodyear 10-ply or E-Rated Trailer tires

I wanted to put 10-ply or E-Rated trailer tires on my 25' Bigfoot travel trailer. I wore out the original Goodyear Marathon D-Rated or 8-ply tires in about 22,000 miles. To be clear, this was primarily due to seriously bent axles. After replacing the entire suspension system (axles upgraded to 6,000lb, brakes to 12", hubs and wheels to 6-bolt and steel 2,850lb capacity), I wanted to install 10-ply or E-Rated tires so that I had the ability to inflate to 80psi. Believe me, I have the load to justify carrying capacity. I was going to install Maxxis 8000 tires in March 2017 when my tire shop informed me of a new (January 2017 release) Goodyear Endurance 10-ply tire. I was a bit skeptical to give Goodyear another try.

I now have over 6,000 miles on these tires, and they are performing wonderfully. I run them at 70psi. They came in at a very good price of $123/tire or $580 for four mounted and balanced. One last comment about balancing your trailer wheels. I had heard varying and conflicting opinions about doing this, from "waste of money" to "do it or else". I will not hesitate to do it EVERY time. I was shocked at the amount of lead weight they put on my steel wheels to get them balanced. For those of you who know about this, they put about 3ozs per side on most of the wheels! Suffice it to say, "That's a lot!"
Bigfoot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #148

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
Bigfoot25....curious as to your rims....original ones that came with the trailer? What is the psi rating on the rims?

Thanks
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #149

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
Was looking at the "MayPop" chinese tires on my 16' Scamp the other day. "Hi-Runs" or something like that. PO had put them on in 2014, so I was thinking, 6 yr old tire...better check. Lots of tread left.....but when I pulled the tire off, and gave it a good look-over, found cracking and rot all the way around the tire in the rain grooves. Put two new Carlisle trailer tires on, will test them out next week.

LOOK at the tires, tread means nothing. Mine looked like they could have gone a year or two more. Even the Tire Guy was a bit surprised at the amount of cracking visible. Would hate to have one of those blow out at speed!

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #150

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
You got lucky to not have had a blow out.

TIRE RACK may still have some info concerning SP Trailer tires.

In a nutshell they wrote that this type tire usually doesn't wear out for most people.
They AGE OUT.

They suggested that we replace them within 4 years of the date of mtg.. Which is embossed on the sidewall. That is FROM THE DATE OF MANUFACTURE.

SO IF IT WAS A YEAR OLD WHEN YOU GOT IT, BEST TO REPLACE NO LATER THAN 3 YEARS ACCORDING TO THEM.

That was painful to read, so I asked my tire guy, and he agreed that trailer tires often don't give any external indication that the inside is breaking down.

I came to the conclusion that, like a gallon of milk, It doesn't matter when we bought it so much as the expiration date. It can still look good but the inside is going bad.

BTW: Dont forget the spare. It ages out just hanging there.
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #151

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
+1 on the above!!

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #152

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Rotation

I chose to put 5 Tires and wheels in rotation and wear the spare out rather than
age out hanging on the back. I run them all down to about 4/32 and replace 5 tires. Just a thought.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:45 PM   #153

Name: Phil
Trailer: Escape
Minnesota
2019 Escape 5.0ta will be needing tires within a year and have been considering G - rated (110psi) tires. Am concerned that the rigid sidewalls will not absorb road shocks, but transfer them to all of the trailer systems. Even if run at 80psi.....?
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:05 PM   #154

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Trailer tires are meant to be stiff to help control stability, thus tracking. The torsion axle will do the ride dampening.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #155

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If ST tires wear out in four years, why will they mount/service them up to ten years of age?
The idea that ST tires somehow are built to deteriorate faster than other vehicle tires is nonsense even if a "tire store guy says so.

Claiming that they deteriorate from the inside out is a canard and a scare tactic. Its the outside which is exposed to the elements.

Since the Firestone debacle of circa 2000, virtually no tire shop will mount or service an ST, LT, or P tire over ten years old.
This standard became permanent and ostensibly all tire technology came to a screeching halt.

Today's "tire store guy" was likely in diapers when the stale tire rule started so they never had to learn much more than how to read a sidewall date...Only thing new is that from now on and forever you will have to wear a mask when examining a tire.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #156

Registry
Generations have passed since the thing pictured below became irrelevant.
yet it is still mandated by federal law while most people including the bureaucrats don't even know its original purpose.

Point is...
Whether it is masks, tires, or home remedies....
Don't EVER quit asking WHY??

Old 12-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #157

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
RV Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If ST tires wear out in four years, why will they mount/service them up to ten years of age?
The idea that ST tires somehow are built to deteriorate faster than other vehicle tires is nonsense even if a "tire store guy says so.

Claiming that they deteriorate from the inside out is a canard and a scare tactic. Its the outside which w=exposed to the elements.

Since the Firestone debacle of circa 2000, virtually no tire shop will mount or service an ST, LT, or P tire over ten years old.
This standard became permanent and ostensibly all tire technology came to a screeching halt.

Today's "tire store guy" was likely in diapers when the stale tire rule started so they never had to learn much more than how to read a sidewall date...Only thing new is that from now on and forever you will have to wear a mask when examining a tire.

I couldn’t agree more. However replacing trailer tires every 5-6 years is cheap insurance, particularly if you have a single axle. Mine are generally worn out by then anyway.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #158

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derswede View Post
Was looking at the "MayPop" chinese tires on my 16' Scamp the other day. "Hi-Runs" or something like that. PO had put them on in 2014, so I was thinking, 6 yr old tire...better check. Lots of tread left.....but when I pulled the tire off, and gave it a good look-over, found cracking and rot all the way around the tire in the rain grooves. Put two new Carlisle trailer tires on, will test them out next week.

FWIW, my Carlisle trailer tires were made in ..... China.

To below, I agree, China makes good stuff, junky stuff, and everything in between. The same can be said about other countries manufacturing.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:51 PM   #159

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
FWIW, my Carlisle trailer tires were made in ..... China.
FWIW, they have the capabilities of making good stuff in China. Their problem is they strive to meet the low cost desires of many North American folk.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #160

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
I couldn’t agree more. However replacing trailer tires every 5-6 years is cheap insurance, particularly if you have a single axle. Mine are generally worn out by then anyway.
Mine have generally lasted around four years as well, but I use tire inspection and proper maintenance instead of a stopwatch to determine when to replace them.
I don't get what difference a single axle makes... A dual axle just means twice the flats!
In the last 16 years, the only tire I found defective on my trailer was less than 6 months old.
Also, every time you buy new tires you risk buying a defective one, so "brand new" can be as risky as 6 years old.

Tags
tires