safety tip: check hitch ball periodically - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
safety tip: check hitch ball periodically

Hi everyone, I just got back from a 2,000 mile trip and found partway along that my hitch ball was loose. The nut was halfway down the shaft! I had not noticed it, or looked at it to be honest. I will be checking this from now on, along with the lug nuts and tire pressure. UHaul said it hadn't been installed correctly (not torqued properly) and replaced it and the drawbar, as the hole in the drawbar had become eggshaped. Just thought I'd pass it along in case anyone was as naive as me!
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Ah, this happened to me also! It freaked me out...mine was not as bad off as yours, so I had a big strong man friend of mine tighten it and it has been good since. YES, definately check it regularly!! Great post!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Heidi, safety reminders are always welcome. Complacency can be a killer!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
drill a small hole thru the shaft and nut and wire nut the nut. like what they do on motorcycle's in races.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica M View Post
Ah, this happened to me also! It freaked me out...mine was not as bad off as yours, so I had a big strong man friend of mine tighten it and it has been good since. YES, definately check it regularly!! Great post!
Same thing happened to me, but just a bit loose, not a real problem yet. I now check it every time I put the trailer on the hitch just to make sure it is still tight.

To get the ball on really tight, you can put the drawbar in the hitch rotated 90 degrees, so that the ball and attached bolt are horizontal to the ground instead of the usual verticle. That way you can get a lot more torque tightening (or loosening when necessary) the ball by being able to put your weight on it. If the nut is to the left, then yanking down tightens it. If the nut is to the right, then yanking down loosens it.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
drill a small hole thru the shaft and nut and wire nut the nut. like what they do on motorcycle's in races.
Yes!!! I've been doing this for years on a variety of fasteners that are subject to stresses that may cause them to loosen with catastrophic results.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Great advice. My drawbars are removed between uses and placed in storage. They are carried by the hitchball each time and inspected going both ways. We also check the wiring, lights, chains, coupler, hitch, and tire pressure before each trip.
We test our water system and appliances and run a checklist on windows, doors, vents, and locks, Even checking the lid on the toilet and the stock of toiletries, first aid kit...ETC.
While some of these are more crucial than others, I always find it easier to make adjustments in my nice warm shop with all the tools and parts, than along side the road in the dark and rain.
Which reminds me... weigh your propane tank. A twenty pounder will weigh about 18lbs empty and about 38lbs full. before we got a guage we always kept the ones under 25lbs for home grill use.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
A good product for securing all threaded fasteners is called lock tight. It is a liquid that is applied to the threads before the joint is made.

There are two types, One of them is blue in color and is used when the nut is NEVER! intended to be un done. The other is red and allows disassembly in the future. They are reliable if applied to clean surfaces.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #9

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Kennedy
A good product for securing all threaded fasteners is called lock tight. It is a liquid that is applied to the threads before the joint is made.

There are two types, One of them is blue in color and is used when the nut is NEVER! intended to be un done. The other is red and allows disassembly in the future. They are reliable if applied to clean surfaces.
Bud, I think you got the colors reversed.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
yes red locktite is for the never want to remove fasteners....
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #11

New Hampshire
Ooh, thanks especially for this tip. I have been wondering how I can tell. I use it so little, I'm still on the original tank, and was supposed to be Scamping this weekend and with the cold temps was thinking I needed to swap it out anyways.

. weigh your propane tank. A twenty pounder will weigh about 18lbs empty and about 38lbs full. before we got a guage we always kept the ones under 25lbs for home grill use.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #12

New Hampshire
U-Haul hitch ball

The UHaul system has a sort of white plastic washer between the ball and the nut that is supposed to be compressed and the outside rim breaks off when it is torqued tightly enough. This is according to UHaul a good system and shouldn't have glue or anything. There is also a cotter pin inserted in a hole drilled through the bottom of the ball shaft, also done by UHaul. They have all kinds of claims that this is a superior system, and I'm not inclined to mess with it, although I will check to see that it stays tight from now on.