Safety wiring your nuts…. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Safety wiring your nuts….

Sorry for the thread title, but years ago we used to safety wire all nuts to the bolts on our motorcycles to meet track safety standards. I also have safety wired a couple of trailer balls to the stinger to prevent it from coming loose in the past. With a new hitch set up I'm wondering if I should repeat this procedure and drill a hole through the nut and bolt and safety wire together. Do other members perform this procedure? Thanks for your input.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Being a former aircraft mech, I always safety wire or cotter key, lock nut, or locktite the important things.

You just can't be too safe.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Can't say that I have ever heard of a properly torqued trailer ball come loose, but it certainly could I suppose. If one was concerned, perhaps an easier answer would be to put a second locking nut below the first.

And Yes, I still have two pairs of safety wire spinners and few rolls of s.s. safety wire in my roll around that I think got from Wilbur Wright hisself.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I have 2" ball from UHaul that has both a nylok insert in the nut threads and a hole in the shank for a cotter key below the nut. Could become loose and work in the hole in the stinger but would prevent dropping the nut and total separation. Reese and the walmart forge and weld industry use lock washers. I'd say what can it hurt? When we safety-wired in commercial aircraft, I mainly remember wiring thru the heads of hex bolts.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
There are quite a few rotations before you would lose the nut. I'm sure one should notice the looseness first.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
There are quite a few rotations before you would lose the nut. I'm sure one should notice the looseness first.
Friends of our daughter didn't notice and lost their pop-up camper after crossing the George Washington Bridge in NY City. After that incident and getting back on the road a while later they blew a tire on the trailer because when the trailer came unhitched, the propane tank had come off, damaged the spring mounts and cocked the axle at an angle. At that point they got everything out of the camper they could, had a tow truck take the camper to be junked, continued to their destination and bought a tent. So there are some people that are oblivious to problems . We have the Uhaul ball with the cotter pin, but I know how to tighten things, have the tools, and never had one come loose.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I am also a fan of a secondary means of securing the hitch ball or any critical fastener. I raced cars in my past and used many spools of lock wire. Currently I use Loctite on my hitch ball threads, I can also tell you by experience the hardness of the steel used on the hitch ball makes it very difficult to drill (buy extra drill bits).
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #8

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
If it lets you sleep better at night why not! It don't cost anything. I personal wont bother with it at all but if it stayed on my mind I would....
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #9

One really big problem is that people reuse that split lock washer. It is a one time use item and should not be used again.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #10

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
A properly tightened trailer ball isn't
coming loose, period. Mine call for 450 ft lbs of torque. I give it all I can with a 2' breaker bar. I'm an aircraft mechanic, wouldn't bother safetying it.

Oh, and I have a different stinger for each ball size, so they've been on for years without coming loose.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #11

Trailer: Helite
You can not be too safe only to daring.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
paint a stripe on the nut and the stinger. If it moves you will see it in your preflight check.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
One really big problem is that people reuse that split lock washer. It is a one time use item and should not be used again.
As they say you learn something new everyday, Thanks Darwin for sharing that!

Off to buy a few spare split lock washers as I do carry a different sized balls in the tug in the event I need to tow a family or friends trailer with a different ball size than mine.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #14

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Checking the ball mount and making sure all's tight and look for rusting is part of my check list before leaving on a trip.
Something are good for years and then all of a sudden too many things start to change.
So, check, check.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As they say you learn something new everyday, Thanks Darwin for sharing that!

Off to buy a few spare split lock washers as I do carry a different sized balls in the tug in the event I need to tow a family or friends trailer with a different ball size than mine.
Mount this puppy one time and you're done! Once the shaft is on (and torqued), the various ball sizes go on like a hat. Five seconds and done, no wrenches required. Link

Best thing since sliced bread- I have a two-ball set for my 1-1/4 bar and the Ford has the three ball set.
Attached Thumbnails
curt_related_switch_ball_2.jpg  
Attached Images

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #16

Francesca has the rite idea. I also have one of those and use it's every year because I have trailers with different sizes. I think it is well worth the price.
I think I got mine from Tractor Supply. Just shop around B 4 U buy.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I like the item Francesca is using as well. If I was starting from scratch and if I was having to change the balls often (currently only do it less than once a year) it sure would be a prize to have.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
What keeps the ball in place on that switch ball setup. My problem is I need different drop height on the ball mount depending which tow vehicle and which trailer. I've accumulated several different ball mounts with different balls, so like Carol I'm not going to start over. Interesting idea though.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
low brow solution

Some folks will reject this solution but...it will work! After the nut is torqued, take a heavy punch and a heavy hammer and wack the thread closest to the nut. Maybe even do it in two places. A spot weld will also work!
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
What keeps the ball in place on that switch ball setup. .
The sets we have are actually from U-haul and look more like the set below.
That permanently attached sticky-outie pin pushes in through a hole on the shank, locking the ball on or rempving it, as the case may be.

The Curt setup illustrated earlier's different- it twists on/off and advertises itself as "pinless". Link
I've never owned/used one of the Curts, so can't say what the hole's for in the side of the ball if there's no pin...
Attached Thumbnails
31glMUiS1NL.jpg  
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote