Saturn Outlook 2008 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #1

Name: John & Lana
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17LD
California
Saturn Outlook 2008

Hi, wondering if anyone out there has any experience towing with an 2008 Outlook. Ours has the trailer towing package. We will be towing a Casita 17LD. The vehicle has had several recalls, one being the transmission. My husband is a little concerned, but I really don't want to purchase a new vehicle for something that may or may not happen. Any advice?
The Norconians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #2

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
I noticed it is only rated to tow 2,000 unless you have the Saturn trailer package (boosts it to 4,500 I believe). Our son has had 2 Saturns, unfortunately they are now infamous for poor transmissions and his experience mirrors this. Best advice we ever got; get the trailer that you really want and then get the the vehicle to tow it.

Good luck!
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
With luck, someone will be along shortly to answer your question based on personal experience.

In the meantime, what does the owners manual give as a tow rating and the tongue weight rating. Remember this is the MAX, with the trailer loaded and ready to go.

Is there a different rating with brakes, and is the Casita so equipped?

I firmly believe you should always leave a 20% minimum margin of safety in there. For example, if your published rating is 3500 lbs, I would suggest keeping the loaded trailer weight at 2800 lbs or less. The manufacturer is saying you 'can' tow 3500 lbs. They are not saying they recommend it, or that you should do it day in and day out, or that you should do it a freeway speeds. Playing somewhat conservatively should give you longer vehicle life; engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc.

For more information, check http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-43010-21.html
on post #289 you can get the latest spreadsheet.