Scamp 13 and RAV4 I4 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #41

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Canadian trailer brake requirements are also shown in the AAA link I posted in #37.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:16 AM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy Glamis Dunes

This is getting a little old, (2004) but illustrates what can happen:

"Well, after almost a year has passed since my buddy lost control of his FS3000 toy hauler being pulled by his F-250 coming down Sierra pass. He had sway bars and bags. The trailer swayed somehow and took over the control of his tow rig. He ended up smashing into another vehicle and the passenger in the other was killed and the driver injured.

The highway patrol cited him for hauling the trailer with a tow vehicle that was not rated for the weights of the trailer even though he was not too loaded up. The injured sued him big time, the insurance company disowned him due to the fact that he was improperly rigged and was "using his vehicle for purposes not intended by the manufacturer" even though they insured both vehicles.

He is awaiting trial for manslaughter, lost a civil suit for 1.2 million dollars, of which he was able to get 300,000 dollars from his insurances company sold his home, toys and vacation property to pay for it.

His wife divorced him and he is probably going to do some time.

Bottom line is the man is broke, lost his wife, affected PERMANENTLY the life of another man, and killed a woman all because he didn't want to spend another few grand for the right sized tow vehicle.

Moral of this lesson: BE WARNED! You idiots out there that know you are over limits or running too small size tow rigs, PRAY you never get in an accident!

If you have any questions about this, I know the whole story and would be happy to share if any of you want to know more."

From this website:

Proper Tow Vehicles A Must!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:27 AM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking 2700 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
The 2013 rav's and on are all 4 cylinder 2.5 litre I think 175hp there tow rating is 1500lb. Will they tow more probably,but the problem could be stopping ? The older 2012 and before v-6 models 3.5 litre could tow up to 3500lb .There have been a few snoozy owners having the v-6 rav towing 2500lb snoozy's around they get about 15-16 mpg towing .

We have an overkill vehicle a 07 Sequoia with a 4.7 v-8 with a 6500lb tow rating but only gets 14 mpg towing . I would like to get a 4 cylinder tow vehicle to tow my snoozy but my research is showing no such vehicle ??
Our 4-cyl Subaru Outback is rated for 2700#. But I think a 2500# Snoozy would be pushing it.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #44

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
This is getting a little old, (2004):
True that! has anybody ever snopes that?
Did you hear about the car driving down the street at night with no lights on....
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp