Scamp 13 - weight distribution and sway control - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Leon
Trailer: Scamp 13' 2017
Missouri
Scamp 13 - weight distribution and sway control

I have searched this web site for weight distribution and sway control and have found nothing? Does anyone use these when towing a Scamp 13' trailer?

I would like to add a cargo carrier to the back of my trailer to increase the storage space. Will sway control keep the trailer from whipping back and forth with a loaded cargo carrier?
Leon H in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Use the Google search box at the bottom, not the top search box.
I found 686 results.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 4.13.08 PM.png   Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 4.13.50 PM.png  

Old 01-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp 13 - weight distribution and sway control

If a trailer sways under normal driving conditions, something is wrong and must be corrected. A sway control device might dampen it a bit, but it does not make it safe.

The most common cause of sway is improper loading. Weight should be low and centered over the axle with enough forward bias to have a tongue weight equal to 10-12% of the total trailer weight.

Rear cargo carriers can be problematic. It's far from center and tends to reduce tongue weight. If you're careful not to let it get too heavy and readjust overall loading to maintain adequate tongue weight, it is possible. What do you want to carry back there?

Other causes of sway can include towing with the tongue high and mechanical problems with suspension or tires (less common).

Once you are confident your load is stable under normal speeds and conditions, you can then add a sway control bar for extra security in unusual conditions or during an emergency maneuver.

A 13' trailer should not need a weight distribution system.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon H in MO View Post
I would like to add a cargo carrier to the back of my trailer to increase the storage space. Will sway control keep the trailer from whipping back and forth with a loaded cargo carrier?
Look at this first before deciding anything. It will show you what the pitfalls of improperly distributing the weight are:

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...eavy-trailers/
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A 13' trailer should not need a weight distribution system.
I strongly agree. In fact I'd say that for a 17' as well.
My 17' Bigfoot came with a WDH and I used it on my first few trips. Then a Trucker came over and asked what I was doing with a WDH on such a small trailer. He felt it was counter productive and could even be dangerous. It has sat somewhere in the back of my garage ever since. Since then, I have also seen a warning against using them on some tugs, including my Ridgeline.

When I bought my new Escape I requested they not install the stock WDH. I have added an anti sway bar, though.

Walt
Old 01-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
trailering

I agree also I think the biggest cause of this is excessive speeds I had it happen once hauling a roll of carpet on a small trailer. it went crazy going down a hill scared me to death.

then on this same hill I saw a guy same situation but when it started suddenly beer cans started flying out of the truck I don't know what that was about but it was quite a sight to see until he got it under control!

in these situations I doubt anything would have helped.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Then a Trucker came over and asked what I was doing with a WDH on such a small trailer. He felt it was counter productive and could even be dangerous.
And where did this Trucker acquire his expertise?
After towing my 17B with a RAV4 V6 for eight years, with a WDH, I can say that my WDH makes the ride considerably more comfortable and secure. I've had to make a couple abrupt lane changes and the trailer just followed, like the whole rig was a single unit.
I've towed short distances without the WDH and felt every irregularity in the road.
Hitching up without WDH would be less work, but lazy as I am, I still install it.
I don't have sway control. Haven't needed it with a properly balance trailer.

Pix with and without WDH.
Attached Thumbnails
With WDH1.jpg   NO WDH1.jpg  

Old 01-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yep, definite squat on that bottom picture. Kind of TV dependent. Our F150 doesn't squat, but it has 2X the tow rating over our actual trailer.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #9

Although the RAV4 is 4-wheel-drive, the front wheels do most of the work, so it's nice to have them firmly planted, especially on gravel.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon H in MO View Post
I have searched this web site for weight distribution and sway control and have found nothing? Does anyone use these when towing a Scamp 13' trailer?

Check with Scamp as to whether the trailer will handle the weight of the cargo trailer and if it is safe. I had a nice new 21 ft Jayco 5th wheel and it said no cargo trailer to be pulled. Had something to do with the frame.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #11

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
My setup would be an exaggeration of that second photo without the airbags I put in the rear suspension of my truck. Tacomas have pretty soft rear springs, and my friend who had the truck before me did a lot of dump runs with it when he remodeled his house... It definitely depends on the truck/trailer combo.

My 17' trailer pulls nice and straight and stable. I have a cheap anti-sway bar that I put on when I'm taking longer trips and worry about cross winds. But in general I don't use it since the trailer has been really stable for me.

If you're going to load weight at the very back of your trailer you'll need to do a lot of investigation. As other people stated, you really don't want a bunch of weight back there, unless you balance it with more tongue weight, and soon you might be over your tongue weight limit.

I've seen motorcycles mounted on the back of trailers so clearly people are doing it...but people do all sorts of things...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #12

I've got a cargo carrier on the back. The carrier itself weighs 75lb and then there is the aluminum box atop it. I keep the contents as light as possible. Potable water hose, extension cord, some distilled water, latex gloves - stuff like that.
My tongue weight is generally 320 - 340 lbs.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
For me nothing on top of the rear bed but pillows and blankets. I keep the water tank full and the other compartment on the other side is full of light stuff. under the bed is all light stuff needed to set up camp. all real weight is placed on the floor in front of the rear bed up to the front seating area. Fridge full and closet full. trailer is pretty well balanced. no control enhancements are needed for me. I have 2 propane tanks and group 27 battery on front a frame and nothing hanging out back of the trailer. 1986 Scamp 13. My tug is usually packed heavy with extra stuff. The smaller the trailer the larger the tug you will need so you don't overload the trailer. Allot of stuff packed in the back of the trailer Can get ugly fast. Any sign of instability in a 13 foot trailer especially going down hill merits pulling over and repacking your load. Using sway control devices to cover up for poor packing conditions is not the right way to do it.

Sway control devices have real merit once trailer weights start approaching the weight of the tug. You don't want the tail wagging the dog.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
makes perfect sense to me

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:27 AM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I strongly agree. In fact I'd say that for a 17' as well.
My 17' Bigfoot came with a WDH and I used it on my first few trips. Then a Trucker came over and asked what I was doing with a WDH on such a small trailer. He felt it was counter productive and could even be dangerous. It has sat somewhere in the back of my garage ever since. Since then, I have also seen a warning against using them on some tugs, including my Ridgeline.

When I bought my new Escape I requested they not install the stock WDH. I have added an anti sway bar, though.

Walt
Did he happen to say why he thought that it was counterproductive and dangerous? What stock WDH are you referring to since all of them are options as far as I know.

Yes, there are some vehicle manufacturers who say not to use them on certain models, not because they are not needed or good but perhaps because of the vehicle construction and ability to take them.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Yes, there are some vehicle manufacturers who say not to use them on certain models, not because they are not needed or good but perhaps because of the vehicle construction and ability to take them.
Or, like Toyota, because they have not tested the devices on their vehicles, so they cannot recommend one.

Tags
scamp, weight