Scamp 19 5th Wheel Hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2016, 05:40 AM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Escape... exScamp 19 both great trailers
Wisconsin
Scamp 19 5th Wheel Hitch

Good Morning all,
My new/used Scamp 19 is scheduled to arrive today, can't wait. I would like to hear about pros and cons of installing the original Scamp hitch in my truck or looking/building a better hitch. I could build a slider assembly to slid the original hitch into with pins to hold in position. Just a thought. Or start from scratch and build or buy something more custom with options to move forward and back to adjust where the load rides on the TV and up and down for height adjustment. Am I over thinking all this ? Should I just stay with the original hitch?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts
JR
Jm Rintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:47 AM   #2

Name: Ian
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
Vermont
Don't over think it!!! Our scamp tows like a dream with the old style frame hitch. no need to adjust forward and back...right over the axle is the place, i can go 90 degree turns no problem. Height adjustment is fine but you only do it once to get the trailer level. the only thing i don't like about the old style hitch is that it is not removable as i use the truck for work.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:54 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Scamp Hitch

Jim,

There isn't much choice in locating a 5er hitch in your truck, it will be toward the rear in an 8' bed. The Scamp hitch is good for towing a Scamp and it is easy to pull the pins and remove. Since you aren't all that far from the factory, I'd let them install it. It isn't all that much fun to do it by yourself, schedule a trip.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Don't know what truck you have, but this might be useful:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post159416
At the bottom of that thread is my installation of the new standard Scamp hitch that they started supplying several years ago. It cost me about $600 to buy it from Eveland's.
One big improvement that I made later was replacing the securing pins with 1/2 inch bolts in a way that eliminated any rattling when the Scamp is not connected.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #5

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Scamp
New York
5th wheel hitch

We found it was nearly impossible to get the trailer on and off until we greased the ball and the hitch up really well. Now it works much better.
terrinolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:57 AM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrinolte View Post
We found it was nearly impossible to get the trailer on and off until we greased the ball and the hitch up really well. Now it works much better.
Also, often you have to release any tension on the coupler by moving the truck an inch or so. It is also a good idea to chock the Scamp wheels whenever hooking up, in order to put less stress on the frame.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:51 PM   #7

Name: James
Trailer: Escape... exScamp 19 both great trailers
Wisconsin
Great info

Thanks again for all the thoughts and suggestions on this issue. Our new/used Scamp has found it's way to our home thanks to Vlad and Bonnie. Best of luck with your new camper also. Hope to see you on the road.
JR and Linda
Jm Rintel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp