Scamp 19 Deluxe and 2017 Tacoma double cab I4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: Oliver Elite II (Pick up in April 2018)
South Carolina
Scamp 19 Deluxe and 2017 Tacoma double cab I4

I pick up my camper mid May 2018. I plan to drag it with my 2017 Tacoma SR I4. Camper weight approx 2900lbs dry. Max camper towing weight for Tacoma 3500lbs. I don't expect to set speed records. I do want to haul out west in mountains. Does anybody doubt this tow vehicle's ability to perform safely? I've been told that I should have purchased the towing package with a V6. I really don't see the need to spend the extra money for an oil cooler,
transmission cooler, factory hitch, 130A alternator and factory wiring.
Let me know what you think,
MrBig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig1 View Post
I pick up my camper mid May 2018. I plan to drag it with my 2017 Tacoma SR I4. Camper weight approx 2900lbs dry. Max camper towing weight for Tacoma 3500lbs. I don't expect to set speed records. I do want to haul out west in mountains. Does anybody doubt this tow vehicle's ability to perform safely? I've been told that I should have purchased the towing package with a V6. I really don't see the need to spend the extra money for an oil cooler,
transmission cooler, factory hitch, 130A alternator and factory wiring.
Let me know what you think,
Considering the cost of a new engine or a rebuilt transmission versus the cost of the factory tow package , I would have opted for the tow package. It's your vehicle and your money but I would NOT tow through the mountains with a trailer that is near or at a vehicle's tow limit without at least a transmission cooler.
The time to ask your question was before you bought your vehicle and trailer not after ! IMHO

My vehicle does have an oil cooler , transmission cooler , factory hitch and integrated brake controller .
Worth every penny in my estimation
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I guess it depends how long you want your Tacoma to last.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The time to ask your question was before you bought your vehicle and trailer not after ! IMHO
Thanks Steve for your honesty. I actually did do some research into this before I bought the truck. I figured if it was rated for a specific towing capacity then it should be able to perform as described. I realize that more is better in many cases. I can always trade the truck if needed but I actually called Toyota about this issue. They stated without hesitation the truck will perform as advertized. The reason I've asked this question was because there was some doubt in a family members mind that the brakes on this truck could stand the grades I would encounter in the Rockies. I found no mention of brakes in the listed upgrades for the towing package so I thought I'd throw the safety question out there.
As for how long the Tacoma will last, I don't know but I bought a lifetime drive trane warranty. Just in case.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #5

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Thanks Steve for your honesty. I actually did do some research into this before I bought the truck. I figured if it was rated for a specific towing capacity then it should be able to perform as described. I realize that more is better in many cases. I can always trade the truck if needed but I actually called Toyota about this issue. They stated without hesitation the truck will perform as advertized. The reason I've asked this question was because there was some doubt in a family members mind that the brakes on this truck could stand the grades I would encounter in the Rockies. I found no mention of brakes in the listed upgrades for the towing package so I thought I'd throw the safety question out there.
As for how long the Tacoma will last, I don't know but I bought a lifetime drive trane warranty. Just in case.
I owned a 1999 full size truck when we bought our first FG trailer a 1999 16 ft Scamp . I took the truck into the local transmission shop to have the fluid changed . The transmission shop discovered that the transmission fluid was badly burnt . When I mentioned that I was towing a trailer with the truck , they recommended a transmission cooler be installed . I had the fluid changed as well as the cooler installed . No more burnt fluid .
Just my experience , yours may be entirely different.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The receiver hitch with the tow package is a really nice one and it has the 7 pin connector. The tow package also includes the wiring harness for a trailer brake controller. If you choose a Teknosha controller (most popular) it's a simple matter of buying the correct harness, about $25, and plug it in. All things considered, in my opinion, the tow package is well worth the money.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Is that 3500 pound tow rating with or without the tow package? Have you read everything in the owner's manual about towing? With fifth wheels you also have to be concerned about payload and frontal area. (Okay, I know Scamp isn't a true fifth wheel, but the issues are similar.)

Electric brakes on the trailer and a transmission cooler, at a bare minimum.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #8

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Is that 3500 pound tow rating with or without the tow package? Have you read everything in the owner's manual about towing? With fifth wheels you also have to be concerned about payload and frontal area. (Okay, I know Scamp isn't a true fifth wheel, but the issues are similar.)

Electric brakes on the trailer and a transmission cooler, at a bare minimum.
Jon, That's 3500lbs without the towing package. I looked at the rated load for the axles and even considering the 400lb tongue weight of the Scamp I'm well within limits. The Tacoma has a 5700lb GVW, I ran the truck across a set of Cat Scales, full of gas and me in the truck, and had quite a bit of room for load. I actually asked for the I4 engine because of weight. Lighter motor same towing capacity, same GVW as the V6. Horsepower was the trade off. Look I'm throwing this out there as a discussion. As I stated in most cases more is always better. Just curious about the feedback from more experienced folk. And, I can always trade the truck for the 4wd, V6 with the towing package later this year. I know I'll take a beating but if my reasoning is drastically flawed it would be worth it. Electric brakes on the Scamp are standard.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes, I have doubts. First, you have been using dry weights for your discussion above. Manufacturer dry weights are notorious for being way understated from reality. Look at weights in the real world instead.

Personally, I don't buy a truck without the tow package, as the ability to tow is part of the reason I own a truck. The towing package with the Toyota Tacoma is pretty sweet: "Class-IV towing hitch receiver, 23 ATF cooler, engine oil cooler, power steering cooler, 130-amp alternator, 4- and 7-pin connector with converter, and Trailer-Sway Control (TSC)". Not sure what the option costs, but thats a lot of good stuff!

Having lived in both SC and the Pacific Northwest for many years, and towing in both areas, I can tell you, towing out West in the mountains is an entirely different world than towing in the SE. Long grades at higher elevations are challenging.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #10

NW Wisconsin
Looking at the chart from " Trailer Weights in the Real World" ,
a Scamp 19 weighs between approx 3350 Lbs on the low end and 3850 lbs on the upper end. The average weight is around 3500 lbs. The Tacoma with a 3500 lb tow capacity would be right at to well over its tow rating with the average Scamp 5th wheel.
On flat ground there may not be a problem but out West in the mountains would be a different story
Our TV has a 5.7 liter V8 , a 3.92 rearend and a tow rating of
10,250 lbs. Towing our 17ft Casita across the Midwest it works fine but when we crossed the Rockies and Sierra Nevada Mountains there was a HUGE difference..

The Ford Ranger and Chevy Colorado are smaller trucks but they have far better towing and payload capacity then the Tacoma .
Old 08-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Better check the ACTUAL weight of the 19'er. Scamp does NOT provide "accurate" weights. On my 13'er, they were off about 400 lbs!! (and remember, that's on a 13'!!) Fortunately, I had enough safety margin built in to cover it.

No tow package when you knew you'd be PULLING with it??? Seriously, I dont understand that one at all. My lil '99 Nissan was bought new and I NEVER intended on owning an RV of ANY sort. But when I did in 2010, I added everything I needed with the 7-pin plug- and yes, I had to run the brake wires for it. I have a manual-shift 4 cyl and dont need the tranny cooler etc. But my trailer weighs apx 1800 when I'm on the road.

Pulling a 19'er (or ANY trailer) without trailer brakes over a mountain? NEVER!!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #12

Name: J
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Considering the cost of a new engine or a rebuilt transmission versus the cost of the factory tow package , I would have opted for the tow package. It's your vehicle and your money but I would NOT tow through the mountains with a trailer that is near or at a vehicle's tow limit without at least a transmission cooler.

My vehicle does have an oil cooler , transmission cooler , factory hitch and integrated brake controller .
Worth every penny in my estimation

I agree as I have a 2013 5th wheel Dlx and my truck 2013 F150 v6 has all the above and I have no issues. There is a hill outside of Cottonwood, AZ when heading south that will test a vehicle towing ability and I have no issues at all. Mine is a small six with long bed. Wish you all the fun and luck in the world.
mgmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Adequate

I towed with a Tacoma V6, 6 speed and find towing a 17' Casita marginal at best. Flat ground and slight rolling hills its fine, anything steeper its working the motor. I went up a few grades in the mountains of NC in 3rd gear at 45mph just to keep from pushing the motor too hard. Full disclosure, I tow at the speed limit, (no bashing please) when possible based on terrain. Stopping is also marginal as with every Toyota I have had. Next vehicle will have a V8 for sure, the V6's just don't have the torque.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #14

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I tow my Scamp 16 with my 1998 4Runner that is rated @ 5000 lbs and sometimes it's a struggle on the steep climbs. I have to really watch the temp gauge. I have a tranny cooler and aux electric fans. There are many things to consider other than just the weight of the trailer. That tow cap. figure is the capacity of the TV and the TT are completely empty of any fluids, persons (including the driver) or gear. You'll be surprised how quickly it adds up. For example, 17 gallons of gasoline is 107 lbs. It all adds up fast.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #15

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Exclamation Tacoma 4 cyl. Towing

I have a 2006 Tacoma Access Cab, 2.7L, 4 cyl, manual transmission. When I purchased the truck I had no intentions of towing! But then fell in love with fiberglass trailers. But...I'm only towing a 13 ft. Trilliuim trailer.

Had a good frame hitch installed and brake controller. I've been towing with it for 3 years now. Yes, it's a slug going through the mountains, but with the standard transmission and keeping an eye on the rev's I havent' had any problems.

Before embarking on an 8,000 mile trip to the Arctic Ocean I had all the fluids, belts, hoses, plugs, etc. replaced. It paid off then and now as I haven't had any issues in the past 2 years. Also towed through the Rocky Mountains - slow but steady on both sides!

As for braking, I use my gears, a lot. Just had my front brakes replaced last year for the first time in 12 years.

If I had to do it over again, I'd purchase a V6 with a manual tranny. Love my Tacoma's - this is number 3 since 1981, all 4 cylinder models.

I definitely wouldn't tow anything heavier than my 13 ft. trailer with the 4 cylinder!

Be Safe. I figured about a 25% safety buffer for towing weight vs. tow capacity and it works for me.

Smaller trailer or bigger truck - my recommendation!
Old 08-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #16

Name: J
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arizona
Well for speed limits for get it. The last time I checked the camper tires were maxed out at 65 mph. As the tach hits just above 1.5 that is where we stay unless the speed limit is lower. It also helps on the mpg. The camper is about 2500 lbs empty The hill is on I-17 from Phoenix to Cottonwood and there are a lot of ups and downs. We have had to stop going up as a silly truck passes another truck. We purchased a new trailer which extends in the kitchen area and it weights about 4500. Again no issues and we went to southern Utah again up the hills. It has the trainy cooler, oil cooler, trailer brake and just a small echo boost 2013 v-6. Oh ya the AC was running all the time. Southern Utah hits over 8000 feet, Zion, Arches, etc so it is high! They tell me the towing cap is 8500. Which I don't believe as it seems crazy, but maybe true.
mgmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:44 PM   #17

South Carolina
Well looks like a bigger Tacoma is in my Future.

Thanks folks for the honest and candid replies. Looks like new TV is in my future. Tacoma 4x4, towing package, V6, 6 spd automatic, long bed. With the 6500lb towing capacity that should more than handle the Scamp 19. White so it matches, lol.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #18

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Thanks folks for the honest and candid replies. Looks like new TV is in my future. Tacoma 4x4, towing package, V6, 6 spd automatic, long bed. With the 6500lb towing capacity that should more than handle the Scamp 19. White so it matches, lol.
Take a close look at the TRD Offroad package when you spec out your new truck. It contains a lot of features that make the vehicle much more capable for both towing and travelling in the boonies.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #19

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Take a close look at the TRD Offroad package when you spec out your new truck. It contains a lot of features that make the vehicle much more capable for both towing and travelling in the boonies.
Thanks a bunch, I will. Incidentally, looks like I won't have to eat the depreciation on my current truck. I promised my wife a new vehicle and she wants my current truck. Win Win as I see it.

Tags
scamp