Scamp 19 hitch install in Toyota Tacoma - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-01-2019, 06:35 AM   #1

Name: Jane and John
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 13/2006 Scamp 16/2017 Casita 17/2017 Scamp 19
New Hampshire
Scamp 19 hitch install in Toyota Tacoma

Greetings,

So we have found our Scamp 19 Deluxe-2017 and its a beauty less than 2 years old and in pristine condition. We have a 2019 Tacoma with the composite bed, (6' bed)have bolted 2 pieces of .25" steel to the bed, the hitch is with the camper its a Reese hitch from Scamp thats all good but we had to order the rails and will have to install them when we get there. My question is can anyone post pictures of your similar setup? we don't know exactly where to mount the rails. We have only ever done bumper towing so this is all new. We have looked online including the Scamp site and the info seems vague, nothing specific. HELP please

NH-Boomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Do you have the owner's manual for your Scamp? It tells you where to mount the hitch for the 19" model. It states that the most important measurement is that the center of the ball has to be 60" or less from the corner of the rear bumper. This is so there is not contact made when turning. Hopefully you can achieve this with the ball directly over the rear axle of your truck. Another issue is to make sure you adjust the hitch so that there is ample clearance between the top of your bed rails and the bottom of the "loft" of the scamp.
I have tried to attach a picture of an old style hitch in a plastic bed Tacoma. I hope this helps, Bert
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma Hitch.jpg  

bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #3

New Hampshire
Thank you for responding, no we don't have the Scamp yet or the manual we will be picking it up next week. Our truck measures 57 inches from the center ball to the back corners so I guess we will be set on that. We should contact the seller for details from the manual. Thank you again!!!!
Old 09-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #4

Name: Al
Trailer: 19D Front bath Scamp
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH-Boomers View Post
Thank you for responding, no we don't have the Scamp yet or the manual we will be picking it up next week. Our truck measures 57 inches from the center ball to the back corners so I guess we will be set on that. We should contact the seller for details from the manual. Thank you again!!!!
First, congrats on the Scamp; sounds like a great find.

Sorry, I'm not quite following here. If you have the measurement from the ball to the corners of the truck, it sounds like the hitch is already installed.

The picture Bert posted is of my 05 Tacoma. That hitch was transferred to the 12 when we purchased it and is still working well. Both trucks had/have the short (60") bed. From the center of the ball to the inside center of the tailgate is 38.5" and the distance from the inside front of the bed is 22" to the ball center. I can turn 90* without interference at the bumper or the cab. With the six foot bed, you have a little more leeway and will be fine as long as you maintain both minimums.

Let me know if you need any other measurements.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #5

New Hampshire
Good afternoon,
Hi Al,
So to be more clear no the hitch is not installed that measurement is from Bert's post, we have installed the base plates and have the rails but the hitch is with the Scamp in another state, we will pick it up on Saturday so because we are new to pulling a 5th wheel, but not to bumper towing theres a learning curve, the seller has been very helpful and it sounds like we may be putting the rails and hitch in when we get there. We have a 2019 Tacoma and we really appreciate you all helping us, fingers crossed.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #6

North Carolina
By the comment "we have installed the base plates", I assume you mean the two pieces of flat stock steel that run from the front of the bed to the rear using the three stock bed mounting bolts. And your question is 'where to attach the rails to the flat stock?'

If this is correct, the rails will need to be mounted in a position that will place the center of the ball no less than twenty inches from the front of the bed nor any less than thirty eight and a half inches from the inside of the tailgate. On a 90* turn, any closer to the front will result in cab interference and any closer to the tailgate will cause the bumper to hit the landing gear framework. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Reese hitch so can't be of any help on the proper mounting points.

If you had the precise measurements of the hitch to rail attachment points and the hitch ball location with respect to these, you could possibly mount the rails before you arrive. Personally, I'd wait until I got there if I had all the necessary tools and hardware that might be involved. When figuring mine out, I actually built a wooden mock-up of a hitch in the Tacoma's bed, attached the trailer to it and re-positioned the ball forward and aft until I found a mounting point that would let me turn 90* without bumper or cab interference

Its a lot harder to explain than it was to do. I sent a PM with my phone number if you want to give me a call,

Al
Old 09-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #7

New Hampshire
Hi Al,
So what we now have is the 2 pieces of steel bolted down and one rail mounted so the ball is dead center over the axle and 31" from the front of the bed and 42 " from the back edge of the tailgate AND less that 60" from the back corner of the bed. When we get there we will install the 2nd rail and the hitch. I will keep your number handy and call if needed(thank you) and I will post pics when we are done.

thanks again Al

NHboomers
Old 09-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #8

North Carolina
My apologies - I gave you some bad advice on the distance between the ball and the inside of the tailgate.

I should have said "centered as close as possible directly above the rear axle but no MORE than thirty eight and a half inches from the inside of the tailgate."
Old 09-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #9

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
Hitch install on a Tacoma 2016 for scamp 19

I have a 2011 Scamp 19 which I bought with a Ford F150 and later upgraded to a 2016 Tacoma Sport 4x4. I called scamp and ended up talking with the person who does these installs and has done several Tacomas.

If you still need help I am in Massachusetts near the Cape.

Ken
kruther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruther View Post
I have a 2011 Scamp 19 which I bought with a Ford F150 and later upgraded to a 2016 Tacoma Sport 4x4. I called scamp and ended up talking with the person who does these installs and has done several Tacomas.

If you still need help I am in Massachusetts near the Cape.

Ken
Ken, could you post pictures of your hitch? We'll likely be getting a new tow vehicle within the next year and I'm interested in possible options.

Thanks - Al
Old 09-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #11

Name: Becca
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
California
During the 23 years we have had our Scamp 5th wheel we have towed it with three different (and progressively newer) Tacomas. Only our current truck has the fiberglas bed. For all installs, we have taken the truck and hitch to a trailer place and had them weld steel brackets to the frame, then bolt the hitch through the bed and into the brackets. I would never be comfortable traveling with a trailer bolted to the bed, it is not made to take the loads.

Enjoy your new Scamp! Ours has taken us many places, and we have many more planned.
Becca50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca50 View Post
During the 23 years we have had our Scamp 5th wheel we have towed it with three different (and progressively newer) Tacomas. Only our current truck has the fiberglas bed. For all installs, we have taken the truck and hitch to a trailer place and had them weld steel brackets to the frame, then bolt the hitch through the bed and into the brackets. I would never be comfortable traveling with a trailer bolted to the bed, it is not made to take the loads.

Enjoy your new Scamp! Ours has taken us many places, and we have many more planned.
Don't blame you - I wouldn't be comfortable if my hitch were attached to the bed (steel or composite) either. Mine isn't. My apologies for not being clearer.

Expand the picture in post #2 of this thread and I think you'll see five bolts, three with the head up and two more with the nut up on each side. There's actually a sixth between the "C" channel of the uprights with a nut that isn't visible. Those with the head up are the stock Tacoma bed bolts. If you have the short (60") bed, you'll find these same bolts (They have a T55 Torx head) located in the same positions on your Tacoma. Those closest to the front are located more outboard in the long bed option but still three bolts that attach the bed to the frame on each side. The towers on my hitch are attached to 3/8" x 6" x 60" flat stock plates using three 1/2" bolts (those with the nut up) on each. The plates are then secured to the Tacoma's frame using the stock bolts and existing brackets.

I doubt you'll have any problems if a reputable shop did your work but welds may actually weaken the steel and Tacoma's already have a history of frame issues. I just didn't want to risk this or drill any additional holes in the bed.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Oregon
Registry
On my 09 Tacoma with composite Bed we mounted the Reese Rail by passing through the bed and mounting to the frame with Grade 8 Bolts. If you want I can try to get some pictures of the underside of my Toy.
We had a professional do the Job. never had any issues
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #14

New Hampshire
towing a Scamp 19 with a 2019 Toyota Tacoma

Sure if you want to post pics that would be great,we ended up doing what you said except we also installed strips of steel in the bed for more stability, and so far so good, I am sure there are others watching who would like to see pics too.

thank you
Old 09-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Oregon
Registry
This is pictures of brackets that where attached to truck frame and through bed to Reese’s rail . No Welding. Grade 8 bolts
Attached Thumbnails
49D1FA5D-A618-4030-B411-81FF0D5C8776.jpg   6909D0A5-C4F1-4957-8813-57CF09D3CA05.jpg  

B1F2482A-390F-4CD8-9D08-595F23F811F5.jpg  

Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp