Scamp 19: Old hitch vs. New Reese Hitch - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #41

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
I hadn't thought about the possibility of rattling if the front legs are totally unloaded. That would be tragic. I think the pictured mod should work well.
The hitch bracket rattling on the rails drove me nuts while driving with the Scamp unhooked. I replaced the pins with 7" 1/2" bolts, then bent some oversize washers (3/4", I think) to an acute angle (>90 deg.), two per bolt, plus two normal 1/2" washers per. When the bolts are tightened the play in the system is eliminated by loading the bolts to bent them slightly, ends down toward the rail. I hope the description makes sense. No rattle!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #42

Name: Gene
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 19
Washington
Quote:
In the older Scamp 5er's with outside tanks the tongue extension stops near the coupler and drops straight down about 6-8" to the coupler. The newer Scamp 5er's the tongue extends out at a constant angle to the coupler. (Extending the coupler length.)
I was planning to add 2 golf cart batteries where the new campers put the propane tanks. This might stop that plan. Could anyone give me dimensions of the newer coupler to a reference point? Also how far out does the brackets for the propane tank extend in the middle of the camper?
buff30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #43

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by buff30 View Post
I was planning to add 2 golf cart batteries where the new campers put the propane tanks. This might stop that plan. Could anyone give me dimensions of the newer coupler to a reference point? Also how far out does the brackets for the propane tank extend in the middle of the camper?
Sorry, my trailer is not at hand.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp