scamp 19 too much bouncing! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #15
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Generally speaking torsion axles, shocks, and a fairly heavy trailer will ride the best.

In our case I have taken it one step further and installed XL passenger tires because of the cushier ride with 36lbs of air. The P rated tires also add a degree of reliability generally not consistent with trailer tires.

We have a lot of tire considering our dry weight is at 3,500lbs, not that much more than some smaller eggs.
Attached Thumbnails
tires 100-0057_IMG.jpg  

Old 01-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
MC1, just being nosy, what are you pulling that Airstream with in the picture?

Our loaded weight is around 2800 (dry is 2100 and gross weight rating is 4500lb) and we put about 300 on the hitch with no weight distribution mechanism. We have dual (2500lb each) axles with springs and no shocks and have four 175R13" tires at about 40 psi. We only have cushions go flying off on very bumpy roads. Maybe we are just lucky not to have the torsion system? Or just lucky to have ours set up the way it is? I don't know.

Cheers John

Old 01-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #17
MC1

Ontario
Hi John. We are towing with an 03 Infiniti G35 sedan set up by Can Am in London On.

I see you have a dual axle Taylor. You don't see those very often. Back in the 90's we talked with the folks at Taylor up on Hwy 6 about custom building us a Taylor about the same size as yours. We didn't go through with the plan but it was interesting spending time at their location and talking with the good folks there.

Our tire size is P(XL) 235X75X15
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I have a 13D and have never had problems with interior debri, other than an occasional towel off the rack. (The fridge must be locked for transport though)
I have however experienced a phenomenon which makes my trailer look and feel like I'm towing a basketball. This happens only on certain roads which were constructed of concrete by an incompetent equipment operator.
Instead of making constant screed adjustments,they sometimes make corrections after allowing it to get out of adjustment a certain amount.
This creates a pattern which is hardly noticed by a car driver , but sets up an almost intolerable harmonic or cadence which causes the bounce effect when towing.
There is a stretch of new concrete on I-94 north and west of Baraboo WI.(worse eastbound) which is so bad that I simply won't tow on it,opting instead to take backroads to avoid it.
I always feel more comfortable on well maintained blacktop pavement, which is much kinder to my trailer and my back.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
The Winnipeg bypass was constructed of concrete slabs. Erosion around the joints has caused the slabs to slump at the ends. It is not too bad in a car, but I used to hitch hike from Calgary to Toronto fairly often. I got a ride in a semi gravel truck. I think he just wanted to share his pain. I have no memories of anything outside the windows. I was on the seat about half the time. I remember trying not to bounce off the dash. I glanced over at the driver, and he was having trouble removing his cigarette from his nose.

This year we took the Savana van and Trillium 4500 around the Winnipeg bypass. The air bags on the rear suspension may have been over inflated. My wife and I, in front, hardly noticed anything, but the twin that was sitting in the middle of the rear bench was getting air, or as much as her lap belt would allow. All I could see, in the mirror, was her silhouette bouncing up and down against the rock guard on the Trillium, lit up by the tail lights of the van. She was having a ton of fun.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #20

Name: Myron
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
I have a 2001 19 Foot Scamp and it is also lifted 4 1/2" I have a torsion axle, that was new 4 years ago. Before I replaced the axle, the camper bounced so much that I could not put my hitch bike rack on. It would bounce so much that the bike would bounce off. The axle "strap" that attaches it to the frame was tearing. That is why I changed it. I made several other observations: 1 the floor became separated from the frame. 2 tires made no difference. After all of that it still bounces, but tolerable. I am planning to talk to Scamp about changing the axle to a leaf spring. Might want to check the floor and axle straps.Good Luck
Myron
Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 AM   #21
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Ury View Post
I am planning to talk to Scamp about changing the axle to a leaf spring.
Myron
By design the torsion axle is independent suspension where as a leaf spring config is not. INHO going to a leaf spring is a step backward. Would be interesting to hear what the folks at Scamp have to say about the idea.

Here is a good link that talks about the advantages of modern torsion axles...

Leaf springs VS Torsion. Start the vid at the 27min mark...... http://www.podcastdirectory.com/epis...-24922779.html
Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Leaf springs pretty much require shock absorbers where the torsion axle has the shocks built in (rubber ride). There are folks that have added shocks to torsion axles. If you'd like to consider that before moving to a different axle, check out this information. Look at page three of Merle Lilly's tandem axle setup (in the Document Center) Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Axles and Running Gear
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #23
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Look at page three of Merle Lilly's tandem axle setup (in the Document Center) Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Axles and Running Gear
That is an interesting article and upgrade Donna. Thnxs for posting.

On the same note our 70's 23' Airstream was designed with a single axle. That 3,200lb/ +5,000lb GVWR trailer was very heavy for a single axle. It is no surprise that most were built with the 5,825GVWR dual axle option.
Attached Thumbnails
23 single axle.jpg   130-3047_IMG.jpg  

Old 01-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #24

Name: Myron
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
Torsion axles vs Leaf springs

I am a huge fan of torsion axles, BUT the rubber does collapse with constant weight. To maintain the axle the camper should be set on jacks. to alow the weight off the axle. the other issue is with a gooseneck the weight and pivot is very different from a tong hitch. With a little extra weight, like a full water tank, the trailer does ride better. It will be interesting to hear Scamps opinion.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #25

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Ury View Post
I am a huge fan of torsion axles, BUT the rubber does collapse with constant weight. To maintain the axle the camper should be set on jacks. to alow the weight off the axle.
Personally, I think this is an urban myth. Torsion axles are used on massive trailers and you can bet they're never put up on blocks, except if used as a park model. The only time a torsion collapses is if the rated weight is exceeded for a period of time. Think... heavy snow load on an axle that's nearly at its limit. The rubber in the torsion does get hard over time and that's what causes the axle to become "dead."

My trailer is on it's second axle in 25 years. Mainly because I wanted 15" tires. Since the life expectancy is typically 15-20 years for a torsion axle, I'm in the ball park. But, if putting your trailer up on blocks makes you feel better about it... who am I to tell you that you shouldn't.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #26

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Personally, I think this is an urban myth. Torsion axles are used on massive trailers and you can bet they're never put up on blocks, except if used as a park model. The only time a torsion collapses is if the rated weight is exceeded for a period of time. Think... heavy snow load on an axle that's nearly at its limit. The rubber in the torsion does get hard over time and that's what causes the axle to become "dead."

My trailer is on it's second axle in 25 years. Mainly because I wanted 15" tires. Since the life expectancy is typically 15-20 years for a torsion axle, I'm in the ball park. But, if putting your trailer up on blocks makes you feel better about it... who am I to tell you that you shouldn't.
Not so sure about that myself. Google "rubber compression creep."
Old 01-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #27

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate R View Post
Not so sure about that myself. Google "rubber compression creep."
I have read some about this. One line in one article that stood out for me is this: For example, it is often thought that low compression set is always accompanied by high resilience and low creep. While trends of this type may be evident when considering extreme values for compression set, there are so many exceptions that acceptance of the general statement does more harm than good. Found here: Molded Dimensions - Engineered Elastomer Solutions to help you win!

As I've said, it's a matter of choice and I'm happy with the one I made.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:55 AM   #28

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
The first time I ever saw a torsion axle was on a 2 rail motorcycle trailer. I was really impressed at how smooth it traversed washboard roads in the desert. No matter how bad the road got, the bikes stayed quiet and smooth. I guess the bikes suspension helped out, so not a fair test, but compared to other leaf sprung bike trailers I had seen the torsion axle was the most effective. Perhaps adding shock absorbers could dampen the screw loosening vibrations we FGRV'rs experience.
Russ

Tags
scamp