scamp 19 too much bouncing! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #29

Name: Rob
Trailer: Scamp 19
California
thank you Ruscal I am going to take a little air out of the tires (from 49 to 43 lb) and add a little weight to the back (water) and I will let you all know Rob

Old 03-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I think half your issue comes from the pick-up truck. You dont have enough weight for the truck to carry the load. big bump at the truck just bounces the trailer. the leverage length from the rear tire to the hitch on the truck makes more movement with the trailer especialy at the rear of the trailer aft of the axle. A load leveler hitch between the trailer and the truck should help with the bounce but complicates the hitch-up of the trailer.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #31

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in Vista View Post
thank you Ruscal I am going to take a little air out of the tires (from 49 to 43 lb) and add a little weight to the back (water) and I will let you all know Rob
Care to see the results of my own experimentation with lowering air pressure to soften the ride?

Below, a year old tire that blew out on me while going about 55 on the freeway. I'd accepted someone's advice about using less than the 50 pound max, instead pressuring more in keeping with the weight of the trailer. Well, sort of. I couldn't bring myself to go below about forty-two pounds....and that's what the gauge read the morning of the day the tire blew. By that time I must have put several thousand miles on them running the lower pressure. They still looked new; but of course damage from low air is usually internal and invisible.

As you can see in the picture, the tread area survived the explosion- it was perfectly intact and there was no sign of puncture/road debris damage anywhere on the tire. Conclusive opinion of the expert that examined the tire: sidewall blowout cased by insufficient air-induced overflexing.

And this was on a trailer weighing no more than 2200 pounds, max!

I finished the trip uneasy about the tire on the other side which likely has suffered similar damage. I intend to have it demounted and inspected internally before my next trip. I think it likely that it will need replacement.

Especially if your (considerably heavier) Scamp has the LR "C" tires on it that came standard, I very strongly urge you to run them at the max 50 pounds of pressure!
Attached Thumbnails
Blowout.jpg  
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #32
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Below, a year old tire that blew out on me while going about 55 on the freeway.
Hummmm, were they ST tires you were using???
Old 03-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Hummmm, were they ST tires you were using???

Yes-

And exactly the same size/type/brand that I've used ever since I bought the trailer. The only difference in that incident was my having reduced the air. This is my third set of the same brand, and the only malfunction I've ever suffered; which malfunction was a direct result of my own disregard of most experts' advice to always run trailer tires at maximum sidewall pressure.

Any other questions?
Old 03-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #34
MC1

Ontario
Quote:

Yes-

Any other questions?
Yes......! Have you considered running P / XL tires? They have a reputation for being very reliable, much more reliable than lower spec trailer tires. These ones on our trailer worked great for 10 years and at 36lbs gave a very cushy ride.
Attached Thumbnails
tires 100-0057_IMG.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Yes......! Have you considered running P / XL tires? They have a reputation for being very reliable, much more reliable than lower spec trailer tires. These ones on our trailer worked great for 10 years and at 36lbs gave a very cushy ride.
Did you miss the "pilot error" part of my post? The blowout was entirely my fault.

That aside:

You must be the only person on planet Earth that thinks P-rated tires are appropriate for a trailer....I guess that explains your need for a bunch of handling upfits for your setup.

If you'd done the research before you bought the P-tires you'd have discovered that they're too flubbery for trailers and can cause various handling problems. I myself didn't know this either when I bought my trailer, which came with brand new P tires on it. Couldn't understand why it was all over the road as soon as I got above 45mph. Went to an "expert" (just like you did?), thinking I needed a bunch of sway control hardware or something. Instead of making that sale, the fellow advised me to put the right tires on it. I did. Problem solved!

Now don't you wish you'd asked here first before spending all that money you-know-where?
Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #36

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I think half your issue comes from the pick-up truck. ...
A load leveler hitch between the trailer and the truck should help with the bounce but complicates the hitch-up of the trailer.
Umm, did you notice the OP has a 19' Scamp?
Specs are here: http://www.scamptrailers.com/showroo...-trailers.html
If it is set up properly there is a 400 Lb. hitch weight right over the trucks axle.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #37

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
My error sorry
Old 03-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #38

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in Vista View Post
I have a 2005 scamp 19. I lifted it 4.5" and put on 14" wheels so I could tow it behind my 2012 tundra. It seemed to bounce quite a bit even when I towed it with my old Tacoma before lifting it. The door would open and cushions would be all over the back. The first owners would bungee the doors closed so we always have too. The last time we went out the refrigerator door opened even with a cotter pin drilled in from the top. All the food and my Woodford Reserve fell out and spilled all over the floor . The roads were not bumpy. Any suggestions to smooth the ride?
Thanks, Rob

My guess is that excessive bounce is caused by excessive speed.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #39
MC1

Ontario
Quote:

If you'd done the research before you bought the P-tires you'd have discovered that they're too flubbery for trailers and can cause various handling problems. I myself didn't know this either when I bought my trailer, which came with brand new P tires on it. Couldn't understand why it was all over the road as soon as I got above 45mph. Went to an "expert" (just like you did?), thinking I needed a bunch of sway control hardware or something. Instead of making that sale, the fellow advised me to put the right tires on it. I did. Problem solved!

Now don't you wish you'd asked here first before spending all that money you-know-where?
LOL.... Back in the day I worked for a couple of the top tire companies. I understand the quality grades, tire ratings, tire politics, etc. As I said the use of P/XL's were my choice and after 10 years of reliable use I replaced them with the same.
Sorry to hear you had bad luck with the P rated tires on your trailer. Were they just P's or were they XL's or LT's. What brand were they? How many ply's? What was the recommended pressures and how much air did you have in them? Send us a list of all the info. Would luv to help you out with your technical issues.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #40

Registry
HEY O.P. ROB!

Looks like my post advising against lowering your air pressure has caused a major off-topic veer...it was meant to advise you as to possible ill effects you/your existing tires might suffer.

Hope that doesn't get lost in the shuffle here...also that you don't mind my answering ol' MC's question.

Quote:
LOL.... Back in the day I worked for a couple of the top tire companies. I understand the quality grades, tire ratings, tire politics, etc. As I said the use of P/XL's were my choice and after 10 years of reliable use I replaced them with the same.
Sorry to hear you had bad luck with the P rated tires on your trailer. Were they just P's or were they XL's or LT's. What brand were they? How many ply's? What was the recommended pressures and how much air did you have in them? Send us a list of all the info. Would luv to help you out with your technical issues.
Me too you!

First thing you may be surprised to hear is that "P" and "LT" are actually two different tire designations, with different design parameters etc. LT's are somewhat stiffer than P's or at least some are. As pickups have progressed from working vehicles to commuters, LT's are increasingly called upon to contribute to comfort, suspension-wise. As a result, many have taken on "softer ride" characteristics more typical of the P rated tire.

XL's are in fact just "extra load" P-tires, but have higher load designations while maintaining the flexibility/ soft ride characteristic of the standard load (SL) P tire.

It's mainly that soft ride characteristic that makes P's of either type unsuitable for trailer use.

Hope this helps....
Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #41

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Differences of opinion are fine, but please be courteous.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...ork&page=rules

"Our philosophy is that we want the forum to be an online reflection of the RV'ing community. Treat each other with respect, just as you would around a campfire."

Tags
scamp