scamp 19 too much bouncing! - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: Scamp 19
California
scamp 19 too much bouncing!

I have a 2005 scamp 19. I lifted it 4.5" and put on 14" wheels so I could tow it behind my 2012 tundra. It seemed to bounce quite a bit even when I towed it with my old Tacoma before lifting it. The door would open and cushions would be all over the back. The first owners would bungee the doors closed so we always have too. The last time we went out the refrigerator door opened even with a cotter pin drilled in from the top. All the food and my Woodford Reserve fell out and spilled all over the floor . The roads were not bumpy. Any suggestions to smooth the ride?
Thanks, Rob

Old 12-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
"Bounce" seems like the norm for these torsion-axle lightweight trailers- and now that you've lifted the center of gravity, expect it to get worse. Proper tires do matter- hoping you're not running passenger car tires, which are too soft for the job.

I've never found a real cure...battening things down and carrying NO glass is the way of trailer life around my "house".

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
The only time I have had excessive bouncing that opened cabinets doors on a fairly smooth road was when the torsion axel needed replacing.

An 8 y o axel should have a lot of life left.

John
Old 12-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
We don't have that problem on our 2002 19' Scamp. A little maybe, but all cushions stay in place. Hmmn not sure.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #5

Name: ken
Trailer: scamp
California
I would call the people at scamp. They have all ways proved very helpful when I've had any questions
Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #6

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
When I made my first trip up to LA to pick up our 2003 Scamp 16 I noticed the trailer seemed like it was tugging up and down on the back of my Jeep Wrangler, which made clunking sounds due to the loose fit of the drawbar. It felt pretty harsh and was transferring jolts to the Jeep on pavement irregularities. When I got home the side dinette cushions were on the floor, but no drawers were out and no cabinets opened. I tightened the fit of the drawbar by laying down some welding beads on the bar and grinding them to fit. That stopped the clunking noises but not the harshness on bumps. The stock Akro axle was not sagged, but was harsh on bumps. A few months later I replaced the axle due to wanting larger tires for increased weight bearing capacity. I needed a shorter axle for clearance. The new Flexiride axle rode smoother with no harshness. Funny thing was that the cushions still ended up on the floor even with the much improved ride! The trailer experiences no lurching, but the cushions get tossed. I installed under table drawers on the side dinette table, and those vibrate open as well. I have to secure them with spring clamps for travel. Also the sheet metal screws Scamp used to fasten fiberglass cabinets in place unscrew during travel. It's funny how vibrations can do that while the trailer rides smooth.
Russ
Old 12-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
.......snip....... Funny thing was that the cushions still ended up on the floor even with the much improved ride! The trailer experiences no lurching, but the cushions get tossed. I installed under table drawers on the side dinette table, and those vibrate open as well. I have to secure them with spring clamps for travel. Also the sheet metal screws Scamp used to fasten fiberglass cabinets in place unscrew during travel. It's funny how vibrations can do that while the trailer rides smooth.
Russ
Perfect illustration of what I spoke about before...you made all the right improvements and the trailer still vibrates/shimmy/shakes enough to scatter its contents.

I spent a few years/bucks attempting to solve this problem, but finally resigned myself to what may just be a typical characteristic of these very lightweight trailers. They just don't weigh enough to provide the kind of solid ride that much heavier rigs do.

Fully expecting others to post that I'm all wet in this regard, you understand...
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #8

California
Francesca,
A lot of things are probably at play causing all that ruckus. Most suspension systems are designed to hold a certain weight. If they are not loaded close to that limit the ride will be harsh. My one ton dually work truck rode horribly until I put all my tools in it. It still is way under-loaded and could stand to have a few leaf springs removed. Also a tire can carry more weight with more inflation, but more air can cause bounce. Shock absorbers can improve ride, but few of us have them. Harmonics can undo things as well. Certain vibrations can be picked up by components or items that vibrate at the same frequency and cause things to move or come apart. Luckily for us picking up a few cushions off the floor is no big deal. Maybe the screws can be superglued in place. I don't think Loctite will work on wood.
Russ
Old 12-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Funny, we never had cushions scatter on our Egg and supposedly it has a 3500lb axle under a 2000lb trailer.

I wonder if the balance of the trailer over the axle is as big of an effect as static bouncing? IE: the trailer is acting like a see saw while being towed. Just a thought as the axle appears to be centered on Scamp as apposed to Casita which appears to be biased to the rear much more.

Jason
Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I have made many mistakes in towing. Not enough tongue weight makes the trailer ride rough. Also, since my axle is 3500 lb when it should be 2500 lb, I load up the trailer as much as possible. I also only inflate the tires to Trillium's recommended 28 psi.

I like to think it helps.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #11

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
A close ratio of all up weight to axle rated weight is an intriguing explanation for elimination of bounce. Our curb weight is slightly higher than the 3000lb axle rating on our '98 Burro with Henschen axle (around 3150) altho within the combined weight rating of the 14" tires and rims currently installed. We had initial problems with pitchpoling and suspension sag on the tug. Timbren "donuts" in the coils eliminated both problems. We have never had locker doors open despite the use of the cheapest roller catches available. Have had screws back off in screen door extrusions, door lock, and occasionally on switch box cover plates. Sometimes a curtain hook will jump off the rod over the rear window. We leave the sink cover in place without finding it on the floor. Our axle should be worn out according to the common view that age of axle is a clue to condition. What am I doing wrong? Maybe just my lucky charm.

jack
Old 12-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #12

Name: vrm
Trailer: Trillium OutBack
Canada
Check if your tires are properly balanced. Unbalanced tires can cause severe vibrations at highway speeds.

My $0.02
Old 12-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
A close ratio of all up weight to axle rated weight is an intriguing explanation for elimination of bounce. Our curb weight is slightly higher than the 3000lb axle rating on our '98 Burro with Henschen axle (around 3150) altho within the combined weight rating of the 14" tires and rims currently installed. We had initial problems with pitchpoling and suspension sag on the tug. Timbren "donuts" in the coils eliminated both problems. We have never had locker doors open despite the use of the cheapest roller catches available. Have had screws back off in screen door extrusions, door lock, and occasionally on switch box cover plates. Sometimes a curtain hook will jump off the rod over the rear window. We leave the sink cover in place without finding it on the floor. Our axle should be worn out according to the common view that age of axle is a clue to condition. What am I doing wrong? Maybe just my lucky charm.

jack
Jack,
Loading the axle to max would give you the better ride you are experiencing. Older rubber dampers usually sag and get hard taking away usable travel and adding harshness. If yours are working well you can use them until things change. My old axle was about nine years old and still serviceable, but the ride was harsher causing jolts to be transfered into the tug.
The new axle manufacturer recommended sizing the axle at 125% of loaded trailer weight, which I did. I would assume that if I added 300 lbs to the trailer it would smooth out even more. My trailer is around 2800 loaded, and axle rating is 3500.
Russ
Old 12-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have made many mistakes in towing. Not enough tongue weight makes the trailer ride rough. Also, since my axle is 3500 lb when it should be 2500 lb, I load up the trailer as much as possible. I also only inflate the tires to Trillium's recommended 28 psi.

I like to think it helps.
Dave,
28 PSI would give a very compliant ride. You just have to watch your weight to make sure the sidewall is not squatting too much. Under inflation could cause heat buildup due to the flexing of the side wall. It also can egg-zagerate sway.

My tires have to carry about 1400 pounds, so I can't go that low on the pressure. I run at 50-55 to eliminate the pooch, at the expense of ride quality.
Russ

Tags
scamp