Scamp 5'er and 2010 Tundra - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1971
Scamp 5'er and 2010 Tundra

Hello again. It's been a long time since I have joined in here. In the past I have owned both a 13' Scamp and a 13' Boler. I have been fiberglass-less for a number of years now and I am contemplating getting back into one. I have always wanted a Scamp 5'er. But the problem I have is, I have always had and needed a full size truck. My current truck is a 2010 Tundra. I had a full size Chevy prior to this and I thought that truck was tall in stature. This Tundra is even taller. Has anyone here been able to successfully rig a Scamp 5'er behind a 2010 Tundra or similar pickup. The height to the the top of the tailgate is 57". Even with the 3" lift and 14" tires I am concerned about the overhang to the box clearance. I think I could darn near just put in a riser ball mount in the factory receiver hitch and pull it as a bumper hitch trailer. I know some have done so, but I prefer not to. I'm thinking if I installed the Scamp 5th wheel hitch farther back towards the rear of the box. Then at some point the clearance issue would be eliminated. Has anyone done this? Believe me, the additional tongue weight added by moving the hitch further away from the rear axle is a non-factor. I currently haul a 1200lb slide in camper(empty weight) and pull a enclosed support trailer to boot. This truck is more than capable of handling any tongue weight a Scamp could put on it. Any ideas if I am missing something here or should it work?

Well as usual, I was missing something. Thanks to a PM I now realize moving the hitch further back will only help while moving straight ahead. While in the process of turning the box would then again be under the overhang. Hopefully Scamp will the answer I am looking for on Monday.
Jerry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #2

Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Jerry71,
Have you talked directly to Scamp? I talked to (Jim) about a somewhat similar problem. They have probably already dealt with a situation like yours.
I felt right at home talking to him.
Wayne
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hill View Post
Jerry71,
Have you talked directly to Scamp? I talked to (Jim) about a somewhat similar problem. They have probably already dealt with a situation like yours.
I felt right at home talking to him.
Wayne
Yes, I emailed them late this afternoon. We'll see what they have to say. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #4

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We have a 2007 Tundra we pull our 5ver with. You just give then the height of the box and they will lift it to fit. Our hitch sits rigt over over rear wheels. It's nice to have the extra clearance under the trailer. Makes it easier to go places.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
We have a 2007 Tundra we pull our 5ver with. You just give then the height of the box and they will lift it to fit. Our hitch sits rigt over over rear wheels. It's nice to have the extra clearance under the trailer. Makes it easier to go places.
Thanks Cyndi. Do you recall how high the top of your tailgate is when it's closed? I'm thinking that in 2010, when they made some changes to the Tundra they may have made the box deeper. Scamp will only make the 5'er so high. I believe the will add a 3" lift and put 14" tires on it which will give you another inch or two, but that is it. Otherwise the center of gravity gets to high and there is a liability issue for them. Would you have a profile picture of your set up you could send me? I'm afraid to get enough clearence for me, the hitch would have to lowered so much that the trailer would ride very hign in front. Your profile picture shows that it sets pretty level but the picture is taken at an angle.
I'm hopefull to hear back from Scamp on Monday.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #6

Just to close this topic out. I did talk to Jim at Scamp. Yes, 57" will work with the 14" tires and the 3" lift. But, for future reference, 57" is the upper limit for the height of the tailgate when closed.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry71 View Post
Just to close this topic out. I did talk to Jim at Scamp. Yes, 57" will work with the 14" tires and the 3" lift. But, for future reference, 57" is the upper limit.
I installed a 5" lift on mine and 54" from center of ball to outside edge of bumper. I have a dodge ram 4x4 and it pulls great and gives proper clearance for turning.
My box height is 54"
Mike
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #8

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Jerry:

Our trailer sits perfectly level when hooked to the Tundra. We love our camper and it's married to the Tundra, who got a new front end differential. I wish I had as much done to my body as that thing.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp