Scamp 5th wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2008, 02:53 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via Yahoo to Billy Hammond
Im new here and looking for help and answers. So far, reading all that you have posted has really helped me out a lot. I do have a question for some of you towing a 19' 5th wheel Scamp. I'm looking at getting one but a question came up reading an article about having the ball mounted right over the back axle of the tow vehicle. The article says that having the ball mounted behind the back axle can cause excessive sway and loss of control. Looking at some of the pictures I see, it appears the ball for the Scamp 5th wheels are behind the back axle. Is this so and has it caused any of you folks problems? Thanks all.
Billy Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
I see no adverse affects as to where you mount the ball ideally over the axel but I have mine 10 inches behind and there are absolutly no problems and I have seen them mounted as far bach as the bumper.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
mine is over the axel ( pretty sure) and I dont have any problems... no sway or anything..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Our ball is right over our axle, and has never given us any trouble.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 2008 Custom Deluxe 19 ft 5th Wheel
The farther the ball is BEHIND the axle, the LONGER the lever arm. That is, the farther the ball is behind the axle, the more LEVERAGE the trailer has over the tow vehicle.

(That leverage can be countered somewhat by a longer wheelbase on the tow vehicle, and by a shorter rear overhang on the trailer.)

Fivers are less prone to sway than travel trailers (of similar size and proportion) because of the shorter lever arm. That said though, sway doesn't seem to be quite the same problem for our little trailers as it is for the big boys. The exception might be if you tried to tow with a car (like an old Jeep, for instance) that had a very short wheelbase.

In adition to sway, you must consider the effects of weight distribution when deciding where to put the hitch. Putting the kingpin weight far behind the axle might may take weight off the front and adversly affect both how the headlights point and and how the truck brakes.

Because Scamp 5ers all come with a sort of "kingpin extension" it may LOOK (in pictures) as though the ball is further back than it really is. If you have about 60 inches from the center of your axle to your back bumper, you should be able to mount the hitch right over the axle.

After I picked up my fiver at the factory in April, I drove across Iowa in some pretty high winds. But I didn't have a clue that it was windy until I got out of my truck and was about blown away. I talked to a guy in the campground in Iowa who had had some problems with his stick and tin 27 foot travel trailer. He said, enviously, "I bet you can't even feel the wind!"
Lyle Brunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Behind is a relative term. The further behind, the worse the effect will be (picture the Scamp coming down to a ball on a conventional ball mount behind the truck). Some commercial 5W-type hitches are actually mounted in front of the axle to put more pin weight on the front axle). Sway in that case would work in the opposite direction...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via Yahoo to Billy Hammond
Thanks to all. I sure appreciate the input. I talked to Scamp today and priced a new Deluxe 5th wheel with all the bells and whistles. $21,339.00 if anyone is interested. If I put $500.00 down right now the camper would be ready in August. I'm afraid I'll have to get a few more ducks in a row yet though. Being from Louisiana and not real familiar with winter driving that far north, I'm thinking a winter pickup time in Backus is probably out of the question. If I don't do it soon I would imagine I'll have to wait till Spring to get her...I'm very anxious though... Thanks again for all the info. I appreciate it.
Billy Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Mr. H -

Hello - Alan W. here... Galt California. We, too, are picking up a 5th - we take delivery and of September. And from Backus we are heading to New England to enjout the fall scenery. We plan to be back on OUR side of the Rockies and Sierras before the end of October. We, too, are really anxious and excited. I retire end of NEXT year (wife retired some time ago) and this will be kind of a pre-retirement trip.

WIth respect to a winter pickup... you know, you REALLY only need a window of a few days of good weather. With the weather satellites, you SHOULD be albe to pick a sweet spot - even in the dead of winter. Head north on the FRONT end of the window, and plan to leave Backus as it improves. And remember, every mile south is generally an improvement. If THE pickup date falls in a bad spell, just tell them you are holding off a week or so for better weather. The interstates should NORMALLY be fairly nice between storms, and just take 'er easy. You will be fine... and be willing to take extra time.

God bless....

Alan W.

Quote:
Thanks to all. I sure appreciate the input. I talked to Scamp today and priced a new Deluxe 5th wheel with all the bells and whistles. $21,339.00 if anyone is interested. If I put $500.00 down right now the camper would be ready in August. I'm afraid I'll have to get a few more ducks in a row yet though. Being from Louisiana and not real familiar with winter driving that far north, I'm thinking a winter pickup time in Backus is probably out of the question. If I don't do it soon I would imagine I'll have to wait till Spring to get her...I'm very anxious though... Thanks again for all the info. I appreciate it.
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Sounds funny- August being winter. Around here it's like a thousand degrees and humid.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Winter up there really is not that bad for driving especially on the 4 lane highways as they keep them plowed and salt and sanded on a regular basis. Just remain in the right lane and you will be fine.

Keep the windshield washer full to clean off the slush from the tractor trailers , 4X4s and locals as they pass and if you go close to Chicago, have a bag full of change to pay the tolls on everything under the sun that you take for granted in Louisiana.

Remember that you can camp overnight at Wal-Mart’s and you can purchase a Wal-Mart locator map/book and that your Scamp will have a heater if you ordered everything and your propane tanks are full and it is not to cold for the propane to flow and do ot fill your freash water tank and be careful of using your gray and black water tanks until you get out of the freeze zone. (They could freeze up while you are towing). OK, on second thought, wait until it warms up.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #11

Billy,

I installed a Putnman Firehawk III in the bed of our 2007 Silverado. If you would like a picture, let me kn and it sets almow.

Look up Putnman Firehawk at the Amazon site. It can order it a Ball regular 5th wheel hitch and you can remove most of the hitch which frees up the bed of the truck when not camping.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #12

If you order that 5r, be sure to see if you can get it with a "BOLT ON" axle.

That is Most Important.

Also: If you tow with a Chevy Silverado you might want it at least 3 inhes taller and even taller if you have a full sized Ford as they have high sides and tail gates.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #13

Mr. M -

You are right. The SCAMP consultant SHOULD ask for the height of the sides.
That would be MOST unfortunate.. show up for pick up.. and... Oops.. don't fit!!
Bad day all 'round

Quote:
If you order that 5r, be sure to see if you can get it with a "BOLT ON" axle.

That is Most Important.

Also: If you tow with a Chevy Silverado you might want it at least 3 inhes taller and even taller if you have a full sized Ford as they have high sides and tail gates.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #14

I assumed he meant that **if he ordered today** the delivery date would be in August, but by the time he herds those ducks into line, it is likely that he would end up with a winter pickup date.

Quote:
Sounds funny- August being winter. Around here it's like a thousand degrees and humid.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Lived in FL and picked up my 2005 5vr on Jan 31, 05. Had to watch the weather forcasts and timed it to be there inbetween storm fronts. It had been 16 below the day before I arrived. The acceptance went well and I hightailed it back home. Here is a photo when leaving the factory

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_Hooked_up_and_ready_to_go.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	14372

You can view the entire saga at
http://tinyurl.com/28dw3r
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp