Scamp 5th wheel "bucking" on uneven surface ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
I have thought of using a short mount for the leading edge of the spring and a long one for the back, to try to keep the spring movement perpendicular to a line from the axle to the center of the hitch ball.
I see the logic, but I wouldn't do that.

When a beam axle on a leaf spring moves vertically, it also moves forward or backward slightly. When it tilts (because the vehicle is leaning such as in a turn or sway oscillation), the difference between left and right vertical travel causes different fore/aft movement... that means the axle steers. If the front mount of the spring is lower than the rear, it steers into the turn, which is good for stability; that's why trucks have their rear leaf springs noticeably sloped front-down.

Longer mounts on the rear would slope the springs the wrong way for stability. I suspect that just shocks would make a significant difference.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #16
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
My take on the bouncing problem is that the tire inflation has a lot to do with it. I towed my 2004 Scamp 19' to Vermont after buying it used in Delaware last February (first time towing anything!). The tires were low and I was not sure about the right pressure, so I pumped them up to 30psi. I was quite worried about the front to back chucking and seeing the trailer bouncing in the rear view mirror. Then I discovered that the right pressure is 45psi (posted on the VIN sticker on the frame). Inflating them to 45psi changed the resonant frequency of the system and made a huge difference in driving comfort. After that I stopped looking into the shock absorbing hitches.

Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote