Scamp 5th wheel hitch options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #1

Name: Delores
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Scamp 5th wheel hitch options

I have a 2004 Scamp 5thwheel and love it but hate having the pickup bed tied up with the hitch bar across the middle of it. I am wondering if anyone has found some arrangement that is easily removed. I could undo the bolts and remove the bar and ball and only have it in when I am towing the trailer. I was spoiled by having a gooseneck for my horses and the ball recessed into the bed of the truck. Is there any arrangement like that out there?
dcraig30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
2012 Frontier Gooseneck setup

Do a search for '2012 Frontier Gooseneck setup' from 6/28/2014 for one way of doing it.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Direct Link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tup-65026.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #4

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas

Look up the Andersen fifth wheel setup. It might work with your current gooseneck, and if you have a 2" ball made for it, it will do what you want.

I have a b&w gooseneck and got the companion adapter and just made mine a real fifth wheel like it should have been, anyway.

I lengthened the hitch while I was at it, so the tailgate can be opened and closed while hitched up. The two step process was a recipe for disaster, IMHO.

The bonus of the Andersen or b&w setup is not having rails left behind when the hitch is removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409017487.850197.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	75447

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409017510.757759.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	75448

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #5

Name: Delores
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
thanks for the info

I looked at the solution posted, not sure if it is what I was hoping for, but I will consider how it might work for me.
dcraig30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #6

Name: John + Linda
Trailer: Scamp 19
Washington

Hi all.
As the maker of the Frontier hitch I can add - after just visiting the Scamp Trailer website today, it no longer has the "bolted to fender and bed " hitch , but a removable frame pinned to the bed rails which looks very similar to mine.
frog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
I have seen some folks that have changed a Scamp 5th wheel pull into a bumper pull. They claimed that it worked good and they had full use of the truck bed. One, person even put in an extra storage area under the sleeping part. They claimed that it was safe.
It looked very interesting.
Good luck!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #8

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I don't know about changing 5er to bumper pull. I guess it would work. I've seen pictures of one for sale on here that was changed. Just not safe looking to me(IMO). I did check Scamps site and they only show the newer 5th wheel mount. Hmmmm. Wonder why after all these years. I like the old style myself; easier to remove the bar and not heavy to handle like the newer fifth wheel hitch. On my last larger 5er I had the newer fifth wheel hitch. I used a winch in my storage building that goes to the ceiling to raise and remove the bigger hitch. That's one thing I was glad to get away from when I changed to the smaller Scamp 5er with the old style bar mount.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog49 View Post
Hi all.
As the maker of the Frontier hitch I can add - after just visiting the Scamp Trailer website today, it no longer has the "bolted to fender and bed " hitch , but a removable frame pinned to the bed rails which looks very similar to mine.

The hitch Scamp sells is made by Reese, rated for 15K lbs. Not sure but the top piece that holds the ball might be fabricated by Scamp. But I agree with Jared. They should have used a king pin instead of a coupler and made it a true 5th wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
scamp