Scamp 5th wheel hitches? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Scamp 5th wheel hitches?

Hi,
I've searched the forum here so forgive if this has been asked previously.
Scamp appears to sell their own 5th wheel hitch package, is this one recommended? What have all of you used? And do you need any sort of anti-sway bar or such? I've read if you mount such that the ball is forward of the rear axle sway is reduced, so maybe no anti sway is needed?

Also, I've towed a pop-up for about 10 years, and with that I have not only the hitch to hook kup, but need to secure the safety chains, a brake safety release cable, the power. In posts it does not appear any other safety cables/chains are hooked up, just the hitch. Is this true? Does anyone have any pictures, or a link to one?

Also, with a 5th wheel, is there still usable space in the bed, as long as it does not intersect with the movement of the trailer? I have a 2006 Chevy Colorado powered by a straight 5 cyl. 3.5l, with a 6 ft bed.

A lot of questions I know, sorry about that.

Thanks very much
David J.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
This hitch can be fabricated by most any welding shop There is no need for any type of sway bar set up just a secure place to hook the chains. The ideal situation is over the axle but works well anywhere from there back. Mine is 10 inches as I have a short box 4 door Dakota and had to go back in order to make it so the trailer didnt hit the cab with a 90 degree turn. The other thing is the height , make it so the trailer is slightly lower in the front so if you don't want to unhook at a camp site you can just raise the front legs some to level the trailer an leave it attached. I also incorporated a mount for the electric coupling in mine.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #3

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
It is a very simple design. We have a Toyota Tundra. Scamp raised the trailer to accomdate the truck which is nice to have the extra clearance. The hitch is very simple which leaves room to put things in the box of the truck and very easy to remove.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #4

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
It is a very simple design. We have a Toyota Tundra. Scamp raised the trailer to accomdate the truck which is nice to have the extra clearance. The hitch is very simple which leaves room to put things in the box of the truck and very easy to remove.
May I ask where you got your hitch? I have seen one on youtube, it didn't look removable easily, they bolted it in. I'd prefer removable if possible, did you get yours from somewhere then take it to a welding shop? If so where?

Thanks
David
Old 09-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: drjenk...Here's a pic or two of our Escape 5.0 2''pin true fifth wheel hook up. They cost more...but you get more too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
hooked on you.jpg   adjusted pin box.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
David, here's several threads. These have to do with Toyota trucks, but you can gain valuable info from the pics, etc.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post164662

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post164666

Scamp, S19 custom hitch - a set on Flickr
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #7

Washington
Wow really great info, especially Donna, Thanks!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #8

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I am sorry I did not respond. But Scamp had ours done by a welder when we picked up the trailer.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp