Scamp 5th wheel truck bed and rail height - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
Posts: 13
Registry
Hopefully someone out there can answer a few Questions; about bed height and rail height for a scamp fifth wheel Hitch. I was told my truck bed might be too high to tow a Sc 5th wheel even after installing the 3 " rise is that true??? My rail height is 56 1/2 inches and the bed height is 36 1/2 inches, I have a Dodge ram 1500 4X4 with 4.7 L engine, 2006. If it is true is there a fix???? Thanks Rhys h

__________________

__________________
Rhys H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 96 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 5
Quote:
Hopefully someone out there can answer a few Questions; about bed height and rail height for a scamp fifth wheel Hitch. I was told my truck bed might be too high to tow a Sc 5th wheel even after installing the 3 " rise is that true??? My rail height is 56 1/2 inches and the bed height is 36 1/2 inches, I have a Dodge ram 1500 4X4 with 4.7 L engine, 2006. If it is true is there a fix???? Thanks Rhys h
Hello, I hope this works, My Wife and I purchased a 1996 Scamp delux, 5th wheel in Nov. In Dec, we traded in an s10 blazer for a 2007 GMC 1500 Crew cab. I have read in this forum, 6 inches clearance is needed for the 5th wheel to bed height. I had 2 - 3" spacers welded in, and this worked for us, but then the 13" wheels seemed too small, and we needed new tires anyway. So I put 15" tires and wheels on it. looks better. I also needed to raise my hitch height in the bed, but it is modified from the start when we got it, so I don't know if you would have to modify a new hitch. It may raise the ball up enough. But the one 3" spacer, and 15" tires may work for you as, now I have a good 7 - 8" clearance.
__________________

__________________
Peter K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
Posts: 13
Registry
Quote:
Hello, I hope this works, My Wife and I purchased a 1996 Scamp delux, 5th wheel in Nov. In Dec, we traded in an s10 blazer for a 2007 GMC 1500 Crew cab. I have read in this forum, 6 inches clearance is needed for the 5th wheel to bed height. I had 2 - 3" spacers welded in, and this worked for us, but then the 13" wheels seemed too small, and we needed new tires anyway. So I put 15" tires and wheels on it. looks better. I also needed to raise my hitch height in the bed, but it is modified from the start when we got it, so I don't know if you would have to modify a new hitch. It may raise the ball up enough. But the one 3" spacer, and 15" tires may work for you as, now I have a good 7 - 8" clearance.
Thanks for the info, so as I understand it you had ( 2) three inch spacers welded, and your hitch height in the truck bed was raised by a previous owner ??? That sounds like a good idea anyways---15 inch tires. Thanks again Rhys h
__________________
Rhys H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 96 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 5
Quote:
Thanks for the info, so as I understand it you had ( 2) three inch spacers welded, and your hitch height in the truck bed was raised by a previous owner ??? That sounds like a good idea anyways---15 inch tires. Thanks again Rhys h
yes I baught 3" square stock, steel tube, with 3/8" sidewall thickness, cut 4- 10" long pieces,(2 for each side) from it, and welded them in between the axle mounts, and the trailer frame. That raised us up 6 inches. then, my hitch in the truck, was cut apart, and new risers welded in place, to allow my ball height to be raised 5" to get the trailer to tow about level. I think this was fine for clearance, but then to make it look better, I went to tractor supply and bought 3 new tires and rims, 15", and bolted them on(one was the spare). now it is a tad bit higher, and looks better, with the bigger tires filling in some gap that was showing in the wheel well area, due to the lift. We just took it 170 miles to Letchworth State Park, for 4 days, and then back. It towed fine, and we had no problems. The step up into it now is a bit high, we will fix that next.
__________________
Peter K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Posts: 134
Rhys - you buying new or used??? If new, your Scamp consultant should work with you.


Quote:
Hopefully someone out there can answer a few Questions; about bed height and rail height for a scamp fifth wheel Hitch. I was told my truck bed might be too high to tow a Sc 5th wheel even after installing the 3 " rise is that true??? My rail height is 56 1/2 inches and the bed height is 36 1/2 inches, I have a Dodge ram 1500 4X4 with 4.7 L engine, 2006. If it is true is there a fix???? Thanks Rhys h
__________________
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel rim load rating(s)? Car/truck/trailer Ken Vernon Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 10-20-2008 03:16 PM
Interior height and bed size in Bigfoot 5th wheel? Lizbeth General Chat 6 09-18-2008 12:41 AM
Bigfoot 5th wheel truck box rail height? Cam A Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 4 08-25-2008 10:20 PM
SOLD: 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel Deluxe with Truck Pat And Arleen Classified Archives 4 08-17-2008 10:19 PM
Scamp 5th wheel truck bed and rail height Rhys H Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.